Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a mood to repaint my race bodywork. I have never done it before, and wonder if there are people on here that could give me a bunch of info on everything I would need to know to do this right. I have an extra tail section I will practice on.
The info I am talking about is:
Prep
paint types
gun types
prepping paint
prepping guns
spraying
spray process (how to spray, layers, time to wait, etc)
finishing paint (clear coat)
finishing paint process (anything else I missed)

So I am in need of a lot of info. Hope there is someone on here that could provide me with the info.
I am going to build a paint booth. Wont be a super pro one, but will have air cleaning system in it, etc.
have a compressor. Looking for guns now as well.

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You saw the R1. It came out pretty good for a can job.

Here is what it looked like when I picked it up:

Even though this is a rattle-can job, I'm pretty handy with a "real" paint gun. I'm happy to walk you through the process, but just assume do it over the phone to save typing. Give me a call if you want, you have my cell #.

Yeah, I want to repaint since it has a few scratches and I will have a vacation coming up starting Dec 17 until new year.
So I thought, why not. I will be sanding and prepping the surface soon. Already doing it for the spare tail section.
As to the can job, it does look nice. I just have the itch to do this more for the sake of learning than necessity. Thinking of same paint scheme (red darker and more metallic and same for silver - more silver and more metallic).
Good to know you have some knowledge on this. may pick your brain. Tx.

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks man. I was thinking of painting it some real nice metallic deep red (top and tail), and some quick silver (mercury type reflective metallic) for the lower. Kind of keep similar scheme but changed a bit. How much do you think it will cost for the paint for the bike + extra tail section?
Also, where would I have to go to see samples so I can choose colors.
tx.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.