Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys....and Kathleen:D

I am this close to getting my rims painted white (pro job) over the winter.

What to you think - should I or shouldn't I? :confused:

Respond to poll!

BTW - I was thinking of stripping them and showing the chrome but all my past bikes had chrome rims and I am looking for something different.

If they are not done white they will stay black.

BS

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
I like the idea of white rims but I would powdercoat instead of paint and white is a bitch to keep clean. All in all I would have to say go with it

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
You are nice, Blue Streak. :)
Before I voted on this, I wanted to look again at your bike and see how best I could what it would look like with the white rims.
I'm the last person here who would know the difference between what would be better, powder coating or painting, so that I'll leave up to you "guys," but I really think the white would look good. Your bike is such a stand out now that I think the white would only make it more so. :)

·
R1 parking only
189 Posts
Hello there;) I'm new to the forum and I love your web site. :) Sorry for budding in like this but thinking about painting your rim white? I say GO FOR IT :machinegu !!! I have 2001 R1 (BLUE) and I'm going to paint my rim white also. White rim on the blue bike really stands out and look very nice.:boobies However, like the the twisted logic said, your wheels need constant attention after each ride :crash specially that good old chain lube that sticks to your rim. My last bike (rest in peace) had a white rim and although it look good, cleaning the wheels kicked my :butt The verdic? in my opinion, "YOU GO GIRL"!

MADYAMA:mad:
"flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Blue Streak, I voted for painting them white.

Keeping your bike clean is law for me (yeah right)..

But can you please send me a picture of the bike.. from the side and then I'll in Photoshop paint them white. You'll then see the end result without risking to be less happy about the result... you know.

Send it to [email protected]

THanks

·
Oh Canabis
275 Posts
I'm with Twisted on this one. I would powdercoat them white instead of painting them. Wheels take allot of abuse and powdercoat is a very hard finish, paint will chip easily and then look awful. Do it once, do it right.

·
something like a pimp
598 Posts
I know powder coating is the best, but how does the heat affect the metal of the wheels? Have to heat all metal to around 375 - 400 degrees F to melt the powder. Would think that the heat would change the wheel strengths??? :no

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
That is not even close to enough heat to hurt the wheels,trust me go with the powder coat

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Here you go Blue Streak. it's not my best work of art. But it gives you a clue of what the bike could look like with white rims.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Swedie!!! thats an AWFUL photoshop job!!!! I think that just made me change my mind about doing my rims white!!!!

I found some pics of r1's with white rims but they were all the red (slow) :p ones..

Has anyone seen a pic on the web of a blur r1 with white rims??

BS

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mmmmmmm!!! I like again!! Nice bike:

white rims
Akra pipe
tailpiece and solo seat
flushmounts
frame sliders

who knows what else.....