Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Do I really need a title
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer got a red 04 that wasn't spoken for. A guy offered me $8500 for my 03. After going down to the shop looking the 04 over and sitting on it for a while, I decided I wasn't 100% sold on it. So I figure I will stay with my 03 for a few more years and get my money's worth out of it. Call me stupid but I thought long and hard and that was my final decision..Plus that decision made my wife a whole lot happier with me

·
Registered
446 Posts
03 Yamaha R1, Black w/ Flames
Carbon Fiber SB2 Devil High Mount, Graves Velocity Stakes, PC IIIr, Yellow Box, Cox radiator guard, Gregg's Flushmounts, Zero Gravity Dark Smoke Double Bubble, Targa Solo Seat Cowl, Libertek relay, The Next undertail, PIAA 8000k bulbs, vortex gas cap/base kit, powder coated Eric's bar ends, tuning fork sproket cover, Intuitive frame sliders. Carbon Fiber triple tree cover, powder coated stock rearsets, Metzeler M1's and carbon fiber look levers, custom painted hugger, 520 conversion (SS RRP 15F43R, DIDERV2 chain).

I would say you have some :dollar in your bike... @ $8,500 you would have taken a pretty big hit to wallet..

·
Registered
765 Posts
I don't blame you. I'm still extremely happy with my 02 I figure I'll keep it another 2 years untill the 06 R1 comes out and and then a few people will want to sell their 04 for the 06 and then I decide if i like the 04 or 06 better and buy accodingly

·
Do I really need a title
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
R1punk said:
I don't blame you. I'm still extremely happy with my 02 I figure I'll keep it another 2 years untill the 06 R1 comes out and and then a few people will want to sell their 04 for the 06 and then I decide if i like the 04 or 06 better and buy accodingly
That's my plan as well.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Plus it seems like you've got quite a bit of money in your bike. I don't have that much I put intuitive frame, clutch, bar end sliders, ohlins damper, solo seat, carbon fiber tank sides and rear hugger, ZG dark smoke shield, +2 sprocket on my bike. and that's too much just to sell and start over on an 04 i want to get a couple more years out of it. Plus the 02-03 has plenty of power for me.

·
Bone Stock....for now....
460 Posts
I probably would have done the same thing.....when I first saw 8500 and turned it down yea, I thought man must be crazy!!....then I saw the $$ and probably time ya got in it and now makes alot of sense. Hell, look on the bright side, keep it another year and you'll probably still get offers around 8000 or so, maybe someone will want it bad enough to give ya 8500 then...who knows......anyway ya took the major brunt of it's depreciation this year so yea, enjoy it and ride the tires off it.:rock

EDIT: How could I forget....Making the Mrs. happy= priceless....:yesnod

·
Super Moderator
21,669 Posts
I sat on a blue '04 today. I'll have to say it did feel more refined
and lighter when I was moving it side to side. I was happy with
the looks of it, but I was not to impressed with the inst/gage
cluster. I'd rather have the 02/03 on it. The undertail exhaust at
first when I saw the pics I didn't like it, but in person it looks a
lot better. I liked the headlights a lot; however, I too own a '03
and have no plans to upgrade. I just can't see throwing all my
money in the mods I've done. 24 more payments, so I'll look at
the '06's maybe.

·
Bone Stock....for now....
460 Posts
I went to my dealers today just to look around and ended up sitting on a couple Busa's in the warehouse.....salesman tried real hard to unload a Busa on me until I finally asked "when ya getting the '04 R1's in??" To my suprise he took me straight to the manager himself and then to financing.....one problem.....only offered me 6200 for my '03 R1 which really suprised me knowing the dealership. I was expecting an offer closer between 5500 and 6000. I am going to consider it since mine is pretty much stock minus framesliders, spools. Not in stock yet but took my name and number and seemed pretty intent on getting me lined up with an '04......we shall see.....

·
Off Topic mod
11,194 Posts
The only reason I dont have an 04 R1 is because I dont want to get a loan out for it and I cant pay for it cash... My 02 is paid off :rock

·
Registered
154 Posts
puppy pusher-

how many stacks are you running? and good choice, as bad ass as the 04 looks and performs, that thing is goin to cost an arm and a leg for any sort of mods! =O the slip ons are goin for like $800+ =O

·
Registered
306 Posts
Puppypushr said:
My local dealer got a red 04 that wasn't spoken for. A guy offered me $8500 for my 03. After going down to the shop looking the 04 over and sitting on it for a while, I decided I wasn't 100% sold on it. So I figure I will stay with my 03 for a few more years and get my money's worth out of it. Call me stupid but I thought long and hard and that was my final decision..Plus that decision made my wife a whole lot happier with me
I love my new '04, but if I had just bought a new bike a year ago, there's no way I would be looking to replace it already, so I think you made a wise decision.

·
Do I really need a title
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
masonboy said:
puppy pusher-

how many stacks are you running? and good choice, as bad ass as the 04 looks and performs, that thing is goin to cost an arm and a leg for any sort of mods! =O the slip ons are goin for like $800+ =O
I'm running the two middle stacks.

Thanks everyone, I hope I don't regret this decision, but I do think I made the right one. I'll just wait patiently for 2006:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all.

Well I've traded my 2000 R6 for a 2004 R1

I live in England and due to our outrageous taxes we pay £9400 (+£100 Datatag). I got £3600 for my R6 and paid the last year of finance off (had R6 from new).

So I got my leg over a new R1 for £12.50 a week more than i paid for 6.

I'm happy with that. Although the £1000's insurance I'm paying really grips my shit! lol

I pick mine up on monday 1st March and with a power to weight ratio like that it's going to be a case of *put key in ignition, turn key, press starter........dead!* lol

If I'm lucky, maybe i'll last long enough to run it in. WEEEEEEEEEE!

Have fun whatever you ride and don't let the Reaper catch you on the brakes.

Daniel Cook (soon to be deceased, lol)

:)

·
Mars: Here we go!
2,996 Posts
just wait 3 months ,thats all and you can find 04 r1 for 9500, paying now 11 grants is a little crazy,Iam really happy with my 02 r1, any way the body oy the 2002 is more aereostetic and skinny that 04 r1 , plus like shadow said, is paid off,,

·
06 is my year
1,062 Posts
Good move passing. I had a deposit on a Silver 04 and cancelled it at the end of January. I just couldn't see paying about $11k for it while I had my 03' sitting in my garage with 1600 miles on it. I went out an put a bunch more Graves goodies on with the money I figured I saved........:cool:

·
Mars: Here we go!
2,996 Posts
I have a good 5000 beautiful miles on my and because I refuse to forget the good times with this bike ,Iam goig to keep it even if Ibuy a new model<<R1 02 THE ONLY ONE!!

·
Rememer the Fallen Riders
901 Posts
I passed on my 04' too and I was getting it for 9000 OTD. I went and bought a brand new 02' that was sitting at a dealer a couple hours from me. After hearing that the new 1 was going to be similar to a 600 I decided against it. I like the "bigger" styling of the older 1's better. Not too mention all the jacking around about when it was going to be here. I figure if I find myself really wanting one I'll get an 05' after Yamaha works all the bugs out of the new design. Plus there are alot more upgrades already out there for the old 1's

Chris

·
WUZ-UP !
4,355 Posts
That's what I'm doing with my '02, she rides too good to get rid of her...........msybe in '06 ?....... :dunno Ride :riding :beer :thumbup

·
Do I really need a title
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So many good and valid points.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts