Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
BikeJunky
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey mangs, I'm trying to upgrade my friend's girlsfriend computer... it's a p200.... older girl..

I tried just doing an upgrade and that didn't work, win95 didn't like that idea

so I went to bootdisk.com and downloaded both win98 boot disks...

problem now is cdrom won't run after the boot disk installs it's software for the cdrom (and I know it was working and reading find before the format)

I also tried booting off the cdrom, but it don't read the cd (looks like it doesn't pick up the auto run... not sure if win98 had this feature...

anyway please help, I don't want to be here all night ;)

·
If my R6 had boobs,I'd lick'em
1,633 Posts
Put xp on it. Have an x-girlfriend that put it on one of her ancient machines, had a p233. You will have a lot less problems.

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
98 boot disk with 95 CD? Hmm...my guess is that 95 doesn't like the version of DOS that 98 loads. You don't have a 98 CD?

·
BikeJunky
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here's the deal, it's a blank harddrive now, formated with the win98 boot disk. But for some reason when I try to boot up with cd rom it gives me an error (not with the pc right now) and when I try to run the cd after I booted with cd support from the floppy, the cd rom suddenly don't work since I formated it....

I will be working on the box tomorrow night, so will post more updates then

thanks guys

·
powderwhore
1,141 Posts
stupid question

Stupid question: after you boot off the win98 boot disk, at the command prompt did you type setup with the 98 disk in the drive?

·
powderwhore
1,141 Posts
Wolf-R1 said:
98 boot disk with 95 CD? Hmm...my guess is that 95 doesn't like the version of DOS that 98 loads. You don't have a 98 CD?
win95 = DOS
win98 = MSDOS
jsut an FYI

·
w00t
2,524 Posts
a p200?
she attached to this thing? 300 bucks, buy a new one. i know that doesnt help much, but will save her, and you time/problems in the future.
sorry cant help on this topic.

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
fast_guy99 said:
win95 = DOS
win98 = MSDOS
jsut an FYI
No sir, M$ never bundled anything other than M$DOS into anything they ever distributed. It's always been M$DOS. There are a couple of other distros out there: PC-DOS and one other than I know of but can't remember the name.

The difference here is in the versioning of M$DOS. I know that neither W95 nor W98 will run on each other's M$DOS version.

·
Heh
738 Posts
95/98 boot disk doesn't matter. But what I would do is throw one of them in that has "fdisk" on it and run it from a command prompt after you boot from it. Most boot floppies have the option to boot to a command prompt using shift + F5. Once you are there type "fdisk" and then yes if it asks you if you want to support large drives. Once you are in there, delete all partitions and create a single primary partition for Win98, and an additional one for storage if your hard drive is large. After fdisk, reboot, then format c:\ from the floppy boot disk. Reboot again and boot from floppy and select the option to load cdrom drivers, then when you get to a command prompt type "setup" Windows should start scanning drives and installation process.

P.S. If you are doing an "upgrade," might as well take the box outside and blow it out with air, and after that unplug everything and reseat everything including the cables running to the cdrom.

-Lexo

·
BikeJunky
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have done this tons of times, it's still not working and not sure why..... I hate it... I never ever have problems on my own pcs... every time I use someone elses I always have problems...

This chick has no coin... so upgrading isn't an option....

It's weird because I know for a fact the cd rom worked fine with win95, I tested it myself...

I format the c drive, make it a systems disk, reboot the machine, enter win 98 boot disk... it installs everything no problem, go to switch to the cdrom, and disk can not be read... and I know this disks works....

When I got to the bios setup, it picks up both the rom and hard drive.... so not sure why it don't want to read the cd... stupid I tell ya... or maybe I'm the stupid one :lol

Could it have anything to do with the way it's install in the box? Exemple:

at the moment the hard drive is set on master on one cable and the cd rom is setup as slave on the other ide cable....was working fine... but would this perhaps be giving problems? Should I have the 2 devices on the same ide cable... hard drive as master and cdrom as slave?

Also if I try and boot off the cdrom... it gives me an error that it can't read the cd.... again I know the cdrom worked and the cdrom is readable....

·
BikeJunky
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fixed, turns out the little plastic jumper on the hard drive was busted, so I couldn't set it up as a master and the cdrom as the slave....

anyway got a new piece and worked like a charm!!

thanks for the help guys.

·
i read your email.
2,896 Posts
Okay, xp will not run on anything less than a 300 MHZ Rig with 64MB Ram.

Second, I would always make sure you check the jumpers first. That makes the most sense.

Third..Dont open the case unless you ahve to. It will just make things more cluster****ed when you need to figure out what you effed up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts