Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Johnny Rocket
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted up on WERA Forum also

OK, 2007 R1. Fly-by-wire throttle system. I installed a Power Commander w/map off of the PC website for my mods. To make a long story short, i reset BOTH "OPEN & CLOSED" values. I was only supposed to reset the "CLOSED" value. Read the "TUNING NOTES" on page 3 of this link: http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/426/install/411/engI426-411.pdf

I've already read the tutorial for resetting TPS values on the PowerCommander website, and it DOES NOT apply to my bike in that i have a Fly-By-Wire throttle.
Now my bike runs & idles like ass (stalls when idling). How can i remedy this situation? Can i disconnect all PC related stuff and plug back in everything stock and then reinstall everything, this times only clicking the "reset closed value'? I've got a Trackday DEC 29&30 @ Jennings so i need to get this taken care of Immediately, PLEASE HELP LOL!

·
unleash the beast
8,615 Posts
get a good tuner..

·
R1
328 Posts
ok.. ??

HD1911
You can set the closed throttle position for the 07 R1 (fly-by-wire) throttle system just make sure the bike is fully warmed up before you set it follow the instruction at the end of page 3 of the power commander instructions.
as for the open throttle position you need to be on a dyno to do that but in the mean time if you unplug the power commander and re-flash it even if it to same version firmware i am pretty sure that will clear the throttle position settings(maybe) :)

This bike uses a fly-by wire system, so conventional
tuning can not be performed for all RPM
and throttle ranges

Because of this when setting the
throttle position in the PCIII software we recommend
resetting only the closed position after
the bike has completely warmed up

Use the
arrow key (<) next to CLOSED to perform this
step and then click OK. Do not try to set the
OPEN position unless you are on a dyno and
above 9000rpm

·
UEM Dragracing
16 Posts
you could try to enter diagnose menu on the cockpit instrument. While in this menu the throttle plates open fully when you turn the throttle grip.
While WOT reset the PCIII for open throttle. Then switch ignition off and on again, start engine and with idling engine reset closed position again.
With this setting you should be able to ride to the dyno, but be shure to set both closed and open position on dyno again, with engine at operating temperature.

·
Johnny Rocket
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
get a good tuner..
:banghead:

ok.. ??

HD1911
You can set the closed throttle position for the 07 R1 (fly-by-wire) throttle system just make sure the bike is fully warmed up before you set it follow the instruction at the end of page 3 of the power commander instructions.
as for the open throttle position you need to be on a dyno to do that but in the mean time if you unplug the power commander and re-flash it even if it to same version firmware i am pretty sure that will clear the throttle position settings(maybe) :)
Unplug PowerCommander and re-flash? You mean as in literally disconnecting everything and then Uploading the map again? I know there is an option to RESET the PC, but what all does that erase? Cause i already did that, and i dunno if it erased just the map, or the Firware and everything. If it did erase the Firmware, how would i upload the new Firware software onto the PC? Cause i don't see it available for download on the PC website.

you could try to enter diagnose menu on the cockpit instrument. While in this menu the throttle plates open fully when you turn the throttle grip.
While WOT reset the PCIII for open throttle. Then switch ignition off and on again, start engine and with idling engine reset closed position again.
With this setting you should be able to ride to the dyno, but be shure to set both closed and open position on dyno again, with engine at operating temperature.
How do you enter the DIAG menu???

·
R1
328 Posts
**page 8-36 ** in the service manual **

Turn the main switch to ?OFF? and set the
engine stop switch to ?ON?.
Simultaneously press and hold the
?SELECT? and ?RESET? buttons, turn the
main switch to "ON", and continue to press
the buttons for 8 seconds more.

dIAG? appears on the odometer, tripmeter and

Turn the main switch to ?OFF? to cancel the diagnostic mode.

·
Johnny Rocket
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, downloaded new Control Center Software (latest version), Firmware, & Reprogrammer....the only thing that would install was the control center software. The firmware n reprogrammer would not work at all...it kept saying invalid file blah blah blah. I even tried uploading the firmware via the Control Center Software, when you click the Tab, "Power Commander Tools/Update Firmware" and the PC III still wouldnt take it. Ive tried everything that i can think of soo far...what sucks is that i do remember while everthing was still in the package new in box, it had a sticker on the box saying something like, "Graves Motosports firmware installed" or something like that. I am thinking that the Firmware i need for my bike is different than all the rest, cause i have FLYBYWIRE.

·
R1
328 Posts
The power commander firmware is the operating system for the power commander has zero to do with graves or anyone else apart from power commander.
Your power commander may have come with fuel map for graves already loaded.

which firmware file did you try to load into power commander ??

·
Johnny Rocket
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The power commander firmware is the operating system for the power commander has zero to do with graves or anyone else apart from power commander.
Your power commander may have come with fuel map for graves already loaded.

which firmware file did you try to load into power commander ??
The newest one off of the website, it would not load into the PC111

·
Johnny Rocket
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah thats def. the one i downloaded! Am i doing something wrong? I click on the Tab "Power Commander Tools" then, Update Firmware. Then it opens the browse menu where you can look for files, and the file does not even show up to select it. Then when i manually find the file because of typing in the exact filename, i try to send it to the PC111, and as soon as i click SEND to PC111, it instantly kills the bike, it instantly turns off.

I downloaded the Latest Control Center Software and everthing

·
R1
328 Posts
are you running the power commander from a 9 volt battery ?
i ask because if the battery is running low the power commander will not function all that well and may not even be seen by the power commander software.
when you start your software up on your computer does it see the power commander ok ? can you access the map in your power commander unit ?

·
Johnny Rocket
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
are you running the power commander from a 9 volt battery ?
i ask because if the battery is running low the power commander will not function all that well and may not even be seen by the power commander software.
when you start your software up on your computer does it see the power commander ok ? can you access the map in your power commander unit ?

i did start to notice that while using the 9 volt batt., the software wouldnt even recognized the PC...so then i started running the bike, and then it would recognize it and communicate. But evertime i would try to send The Latest Firmware update, it would instantly kill my bike

·
R1
328 Posts
umm yer not a very good idea and a big NO NO sending firmware to power commander while it is on the bike and the bike is on ... not a good idea at all.

I would say your problem is the power commander can send a 9 volt battery flat in under 5 mins easy !.

what i have done is wired up a power pack to the battery connections on the power commander ** make sure you get the voltage set right and the positive and negative connections around the right way **

once your power commander is powered from a good power source other than your bike and the software can read the map from your power commander you are good to go with the firmware update.

·
Johnny Rocket
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
umm yer not a very good idea and a big NO NO sending firmware to power commander while it is on the bike and the bike is on ... not a good idea at all.

I would say your problem is the power commander can send a 9 volt battery flat in under 5 mins easy !.

what i have done is wired up a power pack to the battery connections on the power commander ** make sure you get the voltage set right and the positive and negative connections around the right way **

once your power commander is powered from a good power source other than your bike and the software can read the map from your power commander you are good to go with the firmware update.

Ok then, give me the order i should do everything, starting from scratch...should i RESET the PC also?

·
R1
328 Posts
1. connect power commander to pc via it's usb cable
2. connect power commander to a constant 9 volt power source
3. start power commander software on your computer
4. software should indicate that the power commander is connected
5. read map from power commander and save it if you wish
6. load new firmware
7. load your graves map or any map you wish
9. install the power commander on bike and reset the closed throttle position once the bike is fully warmed up
10. open throttle position will require a dyno or you can try to set it by putting the bike into diag mode.

·
Johnny Rocket
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1. connect power commander to pc via it's usb cable
2. connect power commander to a constant 9 volt power source
3. start power commander software on your computer
4. software should indicate that the power commander is connected
5. read map from power commander and save it if you wish
6. load new firmware
7. load your graves map or any map you wish
9. install the power commander on bike and reset the closed throttle position once the bike is fully warmed up
10. open throttle position will require a dyno or you can try to set it by putting the bike into diag mode.

Ok, since the PC is already installed/wired into my bike, can i just use the RESET option to wipe out the Power Commander, then start at your #1 ????

Also, since i am doing this from scratch, do you find it necessary to really go ahead and set the OPEN throttle value, DIAG or not since the instructions call for in the first place: Not setting the OPEN value, leaving it alone, only adjusting the CLOSED value?

·
Johnny Rocket
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no need to worry about the reset... firmware update will cause the power commander to reboot itself anyway.

as for open throttle position leave it as is until you find a dyno.
Awesome! Yeah i just unzipped/extracted the Firmware2.3.0.0.DFU file, i think that may have been the problem. I also think that the 9 volt battery i was using didn't have enough juice. Also, i think i was screwing up as you mentioned, tryin to upload the Firmware to the PCIII while the bike was running.

I am definitely buying a new 9 volt, loading the UNZIPPED Firmware 2.3.0 update, loading the appropriate Fuel Map, and hell, i might even try resetting the OPEN Value via DIAG LOL!!! Thanks alot Mate! You have been truly helpful, i will remember this! If i ever get the chance to see you in person, the Beer is on me!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.