52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts from owners of each appreciated,

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
martins said:
Any thoughts from owners of each appreciated,
Hmmm....imagine how much more water the oceans would have if sponges didn't live there..... :crash

Oh, I own a Penske 8987.

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
6,223 Posts
Big Daddy said:
i've used both and was happy with both.

BD
Exactly...........Both are great shocks and I think you will be happy with either...........:yesnod

·
Registered
261 Posts
Go with Ohlins, part availability and service knowledge on your side is probably better than Penske which is an American brand. Buy a used one and send it to the guys that have flooded the BSB grid, K-Tech. If ithey are good enough to win there why not use them.

·
booooom
4,675 Posts
tag r 1 said:
Go with Ohlins, part availability and service knowledge on your side is probably better than Penske which is an American brand. Buy a used one and send it to the guys that have flooded the BSB grid, K-Tech. If ithey are good enough to win there why not use them.
ohlins costomer service sucks, took them 10 days to get back to me on why my steering damper wasnt installing properly.

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,328 Posts
all i can say is it wont matter what you have if it isnt set up right honestly. but if you get someone to set it up right for you and yoru riding style either would be great. it is more bling bling for a bike unless you are really are playing hard. im sure it would be nice to have when you do play.

i dont knwo what type of riding you do but give us alittle info on what you like to do

·
12,213 Posts
FWIW, here in the States, (aside from the fact that the Penske is at least as good as the Ohlins shock), Penske is known for better customer service and parts availability than Ohlins.

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
Eyespy said:
FWIW, here in the States, (aside from the fact that the Penske is at least as good as the Ohlins shock), Penske is known for better customer service and parts availability than Ohlins.
Larry, my understanding is that Penske has more adjustments on the rear shock (3 total). Please confirm this, and if that's the case the Penske is the way to go.....:riding

·
Bulldogger
5,874 Posts
How much :dollar you got to throw around? Lets be honest now:fact

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,974 Posts
Penske..

But Southern gave the best advice.. unless you are really pushing your bike its more bling than anything.. I'd invest in trackdays (or more trackdays if you already done a couple) first.. and possibly professional advanced riding instruction or advanced track school before I spend the money in suspension mods. I honestly believe you should be in the Advanced/Race/Expert class at local trackdays if you are running things like Penske, Ohlins, racing slicks.. etc..

The OEM setup on any current sportbike, is decent enough when dialed in for your weight and riding style. At our last trackday at Summit Point, WV. The Expert class was turning 1:20's, an retired AMA pro put his stock R1 out on the track just to see what he could do. And turned a 1:16 on a completely stock bike, with Supercorsa's being the only modification.

·
Mustang Hater!
9,444 Posts
Daekwan said:
At our last trackday at Summit Point, WV. The Expert class was turning 1:20's, an retired AMA pro put his stock R1 out on the track just to see what he could do. And turned a 1:16 on a completely stock bike, with Supercorsa's being the only modification.
I wish I was fast.:cryin

·
Registered
120 Posts
"I'd invest in trackdays (or more trackdays if you already done a couple) first.. and possibly professional advanced riding instruction or advanced track school before I spend the money in suspension mods. I honestly believe you should be in the Advanced/Race/Expert class at local trackdays if you are running things like Penske, Ohlins, racing slicks.. etc..

The OEM setup on any current sportbike, is decent enough when dialed in for your weight and riding style. At our last trackday at Summit Point, WV. The Expert class was turning 1:20's, an retired AMA pro put his stock R1 out on the track just to see what he could do. And turned a 1:16 on a completely stock bike, with Supercorsa's being the only modification."

That's Great advice... I have Full Ohlins front and rear, and love them over stock..especially the rear...mostly for adjustability offered...I'm sure Penske is close if not the same... but honestly, I just completed Jason Pridmore's STAR school, and it is amazing what someone can do on a stock bike. He was giving 2 up rides on a BONE stock 2005 GSXR 1000 ( he didn't even set the sag!) and He passed everyone at least once in every session he rode in including the advanced class I was in! mind you There were some pretty fast guys and hosts of club racers in the advanced group! nothing like getting passed by a guy 2 up on a stock bike and have him just pull away from you like nothing and he later said he was only riding at 75%. again I have full ohlins and live them. just my 2 cents.

·
nothing clever...
1,221 Posts
First rate customer service, when i got rid of my 03, the penske 8987 i had was not gonna fit my 05(clearance of piggy back), so i contacted tim godshall at penske and he switched it out with one that fit 04-05's he did this for no charge, i paid the fed ex. this is just my experience with penske, i will continue to use them out back, up front it's traxxion.

·
Registered
252 Posts
On my R6 I run a Penske with Ohlins insert on the forks and on my Duc it has full Ohlins. After having them both set up for my weight, they both feel incredible. I am faster on the duc and it feels slower but that could be many factors. I had good service from both. I am getting ready to do my R1 and I think I will go with a Penske and the AK-20 fork inserts from Traxxion Dynamics.
You will be amazed how fast and how good your bike feels after you do the suspension.

·
12,213 Posts
mkinla said:
Larry, my understanding is that Penske has more adjustments on the rear shock (3 total). Please confirm this, and if that's the case the Penske is the way to go.....:riding
The Penske 8987 has ride height, rebound damping, compression damping, and high speed compression damping adjustability. The other Penske shock lack the high speed compression damping adjustability.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts