Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a pair of boots to use both for street riding and some track days. I've never had street riding boots before, and i'm trying to decide whether i want perforated boots or not. For those of you that have rode with either, or both, what temperature ranges are tWhey each good for? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Gaerne G-RW Road Race boot or similar (that is offered in both varieties).

I would also like suggestions on any boot models or brands that can be made snug on very thin calves, without pants tucked in. I have tried on a few so far including the Gaerne's, and A* smx-5, but both are pretty loose on my calves, even when the foot portion is sized correctly. When i ride on the street i will probably wear my pants over the boots so i'd like something that i can make snug. It can be other brands as well (i was a bit curious about Dainese's). Thanks.

·
Need... More... Trackdays
887 Posts
Most of the racing Dainese boots are made to fit under pants. I have the unperforated A* SMX-Plus and they are a good temp in the hot AZ desert.

·
is R1
761 Posts
when i lived in the nth east, i had non perforated, and on the west, i had perforated.
if you have sweaty feet, go with the perforated.

i have sidi vertigos
cant speak about any other brands. mine fit perfectly and were great for all environments.
to be honest, i didnt really notice the difference, so i'd just go with non perforated. save the what ifs..

·
ROWDY
12,174 Posts
I want a pair of boots to use both for street riding and some track days. I've never had street riding boots before, and i'm trying to decide whether i want perforated boots or not. For those of you that have rode with either, or both, what temperature ranges are tWhey each good for? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Gaerne G-RW Road Race boot or similar (that is offered in both varieties).

I would also like suggestions on any boot models or brands that can be made snug on very thin calves, without pants tucked in. I have tried on a few so far including the Gaerne's, and A* smx-5, but both are pretty loose on my calves, even when the foot portion is sized correctly. When i ride on the street i will probably wear my pants over the boots so i'd like something that i can make snug. It can be other brands as well (i was a bit curious about Dainese's). Thanks.
I have SMX-5's They are a good boot for the price but Yea the calf adj are more for larger size! Perf in 80*-100+ temps below that you don't need it.

·
Lurker
300 Posts
I have Sidi and small calf muscles and they are loose on me - adjusted all the way in. I guess they arent made for men with girly legs :dunno

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of the racing Dainese boots are made to fit under pants. I have the unperforated A* SMX-Plus and they are a good temp in the hot AZ desert.
Yea i have seen those style boots, but the reason i don't want something designed only to be worn under the pants is when i do track days (or if i just feel like tucking in my pants on the street), i still want the option and adjustability to tuck them in. What about the Dainese "out" boots... can they snug up enough to be worn under the pants?

I have SMX-5's They are a good boot for the price but Yea the calf adj are more for larger size! Perf in 80*-100+ temps below that you don't need it.
I'm used to wearing flip-flops all day, all year lol... i'm sensitive to my feet being unable to breathe, and really don't like it unless it's really necessary. I'm sure at some point the combination of cold plus wind is going to make my feet completely numb. I guess what i was trying to get at was, how low a temp could i wear perf'd boots in before it gets very uncomfortably cold? I'm sure it will vary depending on the specific boot - i bought (then returned) the "vented" smx-5 and was surprised to see that it only had a few little pinholes, where as others i have found are completely covered in perf. That said, i'm trying to get an idea about what seasons the different boots will be at least acceptable to use in. Thanks.

·
ROWDY
12,174 Posts
Yea i have seen those style boots, but the reason i don't want something designed only to be worn under the pants is when i do track days (or if i just feel like tucking in my pants on the street), i still want the option and adjustability to tuck them in. What about the Dainese "out" boots... can they snug up enough to be worn under the pants?

I'm used to wearing flip-flops all day, all year lol... i'm sensitive to my feet being unable to breathe, and really don't like it unless it's really necessary. I'm sure at some point the combination of cold plus wind is going to make my feet completely numb. I guess what i was trying to get at was, how low a temp could i wear perf'd boots in before it gets very uncomfortably cold? I'm sure it will vary depending on the specific boot - i bought (then returned) the "vented" smx-5 and was surprised to see that it only had a few little pinholes, where as others i have found are completely covered in perf. That said, i'm trying to get an idea about what seasons the different boots will be at least acceptable to use in. Thanks.
Mine are "Vented" as opposed to be perforated like some models are, with the vents when the temp gets into the 50's it gets noticably cold on your foot! And it verys depending on speed! At 100+ it cools real good!:hammer:( And the Gixxer forum will take all the flip flop Questions):lol

·
STFU and ride!!
5,114 Posts
if you ride in the rain, then get the water proof.
if you ride in the heat and cold down to say 45° weather you can buy perforated.
don't know where you live but here in SOCAL it rarely gets cold enough to notice any difference. i had the SIDI non perforated, i rode in the rain and it was cool to be able to stop at a little stream of water and put my foot down on it :lol
but if it rains you are facked any way.
so just buy what you want and live with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you ride in the rain, then get the water proof.
if you ride in the heat and cold down to say 45° weather you can buy perforated.
don't know where you live but here in SOCAL it rarely gets cold enough to notice any difference. i had the SIDI non perforated, i rode in the rain and it was cool to be able to stop at a little stream of water and put my foot down on it :lol
but if it rains you are facked any way.
so just buy what you want and live with it.
This is exactly what i wanted to know :yesnod

Exactly... i'm not planning to ride in rain, and if it happens i'm gonna have more hassles than wet feet anyway so whatever.

I'm in the process of moving to NorCal, in the mountains. Summer daytime is gonna be 90-110* and winter day time typically 45-60. But i'd ride more in the warmer months anyway (at least that's the plan for now). So, sounds like i can get away with perf, even on the colder days :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine are "Vented" as opposed to be perforated like some models are, with the vents when the temp gets into the 50's it gets noticably cold on your foot! And it verys depending on speed! At 100+ it cools real good!:hammer:( And the Gixxer forum will take all the flip flop Questions):lol
hmm... and my dilemma continues :sing:

·
24 Liters
14,352 Posts
I run perf. Sidi's and a perf. suit. It's amazing on hot days, but you feel the cool if you get caught with the sun down.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do the majority of my riding in warm or at least "moderate" weather. No rain really, i'd rather just drive a car. I suppose if at some point in the future i ever started riding in really cold weather i can always consider a second pair of boots at that point. I'm leaning toward the perf. boots at this point.

Out of curiosity, do thicker socks (or under-clothes, in the case of a perf. suit) do much to help if it gets into the 40's-50's, or does the wind just pass right through them?

If any of you guys have suggestions of a perf. boot that can tighten up real good on a skinny calf i'd love to hear it, even if it's a more race-oriented boot... thanks.

·
24 Liters
14,352 Posts
I'm fine on 50 degree rides with some thermal underwear under the suit. Something to seal up around your neck helps a ton too.

·
Humble Pastafarian
2,939 Posts
I've ridden down into the mid 40's with perforated boots and it was chilly but not terrible. My hands start to get cold long before my feet do in that sort of weather.
I also do UA thermal stuff or the like under my leathers if it's on the chilly side.

·
Whatever.
63 Posts
I use the Alpinestars SMX-Plus and have zero complaints, other than pretty noisy to walk around in. A bit pricey but totally worth it IMO. Comfortable for long periods of time, and all the protection you could ask for. I can credit these boots with an unbroken right ankle :)

·
ROWDY
12,174 Posts
I do the majority of my riding in warm or at least "moderate" weather. No rain really, i'd rather just drive a car. I suppose if at some point in the future i ever started riding in really cold weather i can always consider a second pair of boots at that point. I'm leaning toward the perf. boots at this point.

Out of curiosity, do thicker socks (or under-clothes, in the case of a perf. suit) do much to help if it gets into the 40's-50's, or does the wind just pass right through them?

If any of you guys have suggestions of a perf. boot that can tighten up real good on a skinny calf i'd love to hear it, even if it's a more race-oriented boot... thanks.
Dainese is probably your best choice for a tight fit on your leg!http://www.revzilla.com/dainese?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Dainese#v2-facets[]=240&page=1&page_size=48&sort=featured

1 - 18 of 18 Posts