Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

4741 - 4760 of 4799 Posts

·
Venom X/O
24,047 Posts
The setup is so important, trying to convince people that it is better to get a suspension setup unless you have an extensive knowledge of suspension and geometry you are wasting your time.
For what it cost, which was a fraction of what the parts cost and it was valved, sprung to my weight. Then the length of the shock and how much the forks are pushed through the yokes.
I have trying to convince my friend to to the same, but he says he understands it now.
He also said to me that it is different for different circuits, I think not unless it is moto gp. The gearing I understand for club racing.
I was given a wet setup with my setup card and also it was set up for 200/55 and 60. I have been to four different circuits and I have had no complaints on anyone. Best money I had ever spent.
Good luck for the remainder of the season

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the good wishes, these guys are damn fast. I am usually one of the fast guys at a track day. Boy did I get myself a slice of humble pie at the race weekend.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the good wishes, these guys are damn fast. I am usually the fast guy at a track day. Boy did I get myself a slice of humble pie at the race weekend.
You're welcome, it is always a shock to the system. But it is a great place to learn.
You are probably safer at a race meeting than a track day, well you are over here in the UK. We have had two deaths over here in a couple of weeks in track days on two different circuits.
60 on track on the bigger circuits, no transponders, so people in wrong groups and people only moved to another only when there is an incident or a near miss.
No scuterneering, drain plugs falling out of bikes, bellypans flying off hitting a rider in the face rendering him unconcious. The oringinal idea of the track day don't exist.
I do a few European tracdays where it is a bit better organised and only 40 on in a group.
At 60 I don't really want to commit to racing again and I would no be competetive not as you want to be when racing.
I done 8 seasons when I was younger and it is a hard hit financially. But I felt a lot safer when racing even when I started with a novice orange bib on first time on track .
The poor lad that was killed recently was a bsb rider only 25 so very talented and accomplished rider. Unfortunately he hit someone, my thoughts go out to his family and friends.
The unpredictability on a track day is much more than it is with licensed riders at a race meeting. I was thinking of getting my ACU licence again and just doing practice meetings and the odd race but they don't do them practice meetings anymore, there were no track days and only ACU practice days and race meetings when I was young . Tbh it is nice to ride some great circuits in Europe now and quality of rider is better. I just got some PSi airbag leathers in the hope it will protect right side of my body which is badly smashed from a racing accident. In fact I am an inch and quarter shorter that side. I don't think I could take the pain and probably won't heal as quick. After wearing them, I think they may have shoulder blade and collarbone, it is definitely worth the investment especially if you are racing, they are made to measure with the Alpinestars air bag vest and great protection.
I think you will get up to speed in no time, you have done a nice job of setting your bike up. The more races you do, you get pulled along and as you said there are some fast guys, give it a season and you will be one of them. Your progression will be much faster now you are racing. It will be a great thing to look back on too

·
Registered
49 Posts
You're welcome, it is always a shock to the system. But it is a great place to learn.
You are probably safer at a race meeting than a track day, well you are over here in the UK. We have had two deaths over here in a couple of weeks in track days on two different circuits.
60 on track on the bigger circuits, no transponders, so people in wrong groups and people only moved to another only when there is an incident or a near miss.
No scuterneering, drain plugs falling out of bikes, bellypans flying off hitting a rider in the face rendering him unconcious. The oringinal idea of the track day don't exist.
I do a few European tracdays where it is a bit better organised and only 40 on in a group.
At 60 I don't really want to commit to racing again and I would no be competetive not as you want to be when racing.
I done 8 seasons when I was younger and it is a hard hit financially. But I felt a lot safer when racing even when I started with a novice orange bib on first time on track .
The poor lad that was killed recently was a bsb rider only 25 so very talented and accomplished rider. Unfortunately he hit someone, my thoughts go out to his family and friends.
The unpredictability on a track day is much more than it is with licensed riders at a race meeting. I was thinking of getting my ACU licence again and just doing practice meetings and the odd race but they don't do them practice meetings anymore, there were no track days and only ACU practice days and race meetings when I was young . Tbh it is nice to ride some great circuits in Europe now and quality of rider is better. I just got some PSi airbag leathers in the hope it will protect right side of my body which is badly smashed from a racing accident. In fact I am an inch and quarter shorter that side. I don't think I could take the pain and probably won't heal as quick. After wearing them, I think they may have shoulder blade and collarbone, it is definitely worth the investment especially if you are racing, they are made to measure with the Alpinestars air bag vest and great protection.
I think you will get up to speed in no time, you have done a nice job of setting your bike up. The more races you do, you get pulled along and as you said there are some fast guys, give it a season and you will be one of them. Your progression will be much faster now you are racing. It will be a great thing to look back on too

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
pit crew working hard this weekend to button the bike up for race day

View attachment 1014057
pit crew working hard this weekend to button the bike up for race day
Thanks for the good wishes, these guys are damn fast. I am usually one of the fast guys at a track day. Boy did I get myself a slice of humble pie at the race weekend.
I thought for sure you would be leaving everyone behind, sneaking in your little daughter to put some go fast parts , so no one would notice. Very clever lol!

·
Venom X/O
24,047 Posts
Thanks for the good wishes, these guys are damn fast. I am usually the fast guy at a track day. Boy did I get myself a slice of humble pie at the race weekend.
I thought for sure you would be leaving everyone behind, sneaking in your little daughter to put some go fast parts , so no one would notice. Very clever lol!
next time for sure 😂

my favorite thing she does is when I take her to the fence or start finish and she sees the bikes coming, she points really big and says “daddy wook, wook daddy!” The excitement in her voice is the cutest thing on the planet. She loves motorcycles, I just hope I can get her to ride one. She’s 1-1/2, and I’ve got her driving and turning the power wheels around the neighborhood when we go on walks. Little by little lol.

·
Registered
145 Posts
next time for sure 😂

my favorite thing she does is when I take her to the fence or start finish and she sees the bikes coming, she points really big and says “daddy wook, wook daddy!” The excitement in her voice is the cutest thing on the planet. She loves motorcycles, I just hope I can get her to ride one. She’s 1-1/2, and I’ve got her driving and turning the power wheels around the neighborhood when we go on walks. Little by little lol.
Future racer in the making!

·
Look Ma 1 Hand!
48 Posts
ILS (Intelligent Lighting Systems) color changing DRL's -- lil expensive but kinda cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2007 R1 just crushed a 2019 R1 then swapped bikes and he killed me on mine yeah my 2007 runs this was without the NOS

Attachments

·
The R1S Guy!
181 Posts
The change has begun, gold chain, red anodized aluminum sprocket and gold lugnuts are next. I accidentally ordered the wrong sprocket not realizing the R1 and R1S have a different lug pattern so that bit is delayed but this is where I'm at now.

4741 - 4760 of 4799 Posts