Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the last few months I have been researching my next project, have my R1, have my ZX14, what next to do... my eye got caught on the first '85'86 FZ750 series, I liked the half-fairing look, big square headlight, and the FZ750 motor was the first 20 valve Genesis that spawned an entire Yamaha legacy that kept up in the R1 up to the mid-2000s with 20 valves.

Did some research and looked up a few local ones online, picked one from a guy an hour away, he bought it with intent to get his bike licence, but then life happens, not a lot of jobs, etc... finally got to see it yesterday morning.

Admittedly looks a bit rough around the edges with the black paint and a bit grimy, but the chain was not rusty, and tires were brand spanking new Bridgestone's. I figured at least someone knew to grease the chain and cared about tires. It took a while to start up as it was sitting for several months, I did have to put in a replacement battery to replace the dead one. After a few moments of starting, it caught, then ran steady. I thought, great this bike will be a basket case but at least starts... well, surprise all the lights worked, except rear brake light, not a biggie I have a spare switch. Got it warmed up, and tried shifting, drove it on some side roads, no issues in second... yay, I thought, even the brakes worked well. I did not have a chance to spend too much time, and I made him an offer of $350 (Cdn).

Got it on the truck, put it in a temporary place, went to do other business. Came back put in some fresh gas and some conditioner/cleaner into the fuel to run it through a bit. Tried starting it, thinking it would have issues... wouldn't ya know, started right away! Ok, took it on a side road again after warming up, thinking I would have issues... well, again, I ripped 'er through 11,000 rpm in 2nd gear and like 130 ish km/h, shifted up to 3rd, then ran out of side road, had to hammer on brakes... I was stunned!! This is a little gem! Wow! Not near as quick as my R1 or ZX14 of course, but what a little ripper! She really revs up quick, and the noise, even with stock pipes, is louder than my R1 with the Ackra... and sounds even meaner, believe it or not!

So for $350 Canadian, I have a bike with hardly any issues, seems to have no carburation issues, starts like a top, lights almost all work, Fan works when it is supposed to, brakes are strong, good forks, I am happy! Even the tires are brand new.

Issues are: rear brake light does not work, not an issue, gas gauge does not work, oh well I can troubleshoot that... needs a good cleaning, and that is it! 2 minor issues for $350... I already have some nice side fairings and a tank in black/red/white that are in pretty good shape. I was thinking of putting in my spare FZR1000 motor and wiring harness this winter, but the motor seems to be in such good shape, I may only upgrade the front forks to FZR 1000 forks/brakes/wheel.

So, did I say how happy I was? Black bike is this little gem, and the 2nd pic is what I would like to restore it to looking like. The colours are pretty sharp, and I can have as much fun on this as on my R1...

Attachments

·
"What"
2,321 Posts
Man I love an old school motorcycle,things I would give for an 1985 GSXR 750/1100,ZXR 750 or an 1981 Katana. I'd personally restore it back to original spec and admire the gem you've pretty much stolen from someone.

The great motorcycles that paved the way for the industry today.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I found some good articles on the FZ750 v GSXR750, in '85, there was quite a rivalry going, just like today.

I was going to sink my time into an XS1100 café conversion, but I decided instead to go with something a bit more "sporty" and am I ever glad, again started today up first crank with a bit of choke, warms up quick... the carbs seem perfect which is nice considering I do not have to do much to them. And as for the colours, they were all pretty attractive so I have a good selection, although I picked up a red white and black top tank, with red white black sides, so I need to paint the front headlight fairing... will be picking up the FZR 1000 front end to swap on this winter.

Again, I like my R1, but this is a classic!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just noticed that the motor vin does not match the frame, I assume it was changed, wish I knew why a new motor was put in, but I think that is good as it was likely newer. Certainly bulletproof...

Will post some pics as I slowly update and clean up the machine and put on some newer suspension parts as I get them through the winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
jkden
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing