Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just purchased a 2001 r1 and it had some noise that I was concerned with. with 7k on the odometer it was making a little more than I was comfortable with, but after researching throughly through the site I understand that many of these bikes have a "yama tick" as some call it. Well, after loosing my boosted car 2 times to bearing failure, *caused by tuner not retarding my timing enough and detonation*, I wanted to change the oil to have a piece in mind that it wasn't bearing.
When draining the oil there were tiny tiny metal debris in the oil case, not the normal bearing flakes which I have seen, I figured this could be from a hard shift from neutral to first when a friend was taking it for a drive *grrrrrriiiiinnnnndddd, clunk*... Anywho, I have this tick that sounds like valves needing to be adjusted which comes from the top left and I am not to worried about this, but under acceleration around 4-6k I am also hearing a louder noise which had me worried about bearing failure because it sounds similar to a knock just not quite as loud.

I know the things to check are valves, which I have the specs, and timing chain tension... How do I do the 2nd, and what would you think the noise could be coming from?

Thanks ahead of time,
Thomas

I searched a lot before ever thinking about posting this, I know how noobies come on and don't look for themselves before asking for help so I didn't do it

·
Registered
701 Posts
Use a magnet on the metal flakes, if they stick its more than likely trans and clutch. If it dont cling to the magnet it might be rod bearing material :scared . Also morning starts..is there any noise before the oil pressure builds up.
Can you record the sound and post it...:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will record the sounds, although I don't hear anything abnormal... I would do it this morning but I have already drove it to work and it is warm... I will check the pan and see if the metal lifts this afternoon. I used advice from another thread by sticking a screw driver to the bottom case and revving. When doing this I couldn't hear any knocking noise, this noise is only present under load too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I am running premium, and I tried adding octane booster.... I am almost positive now that it is tuning. The guy I bought it from said that he installed a cam and jets in the carb, I wouldn't believe him but this was his weekend bike and daily drove a cbr900rr. If I accelerate moderately, just hold the gas in one spot rather than continuing to roll in the throttle, I get a flat spot around 4000-6000rpm... if I give it a little more gas that is when this knock sounds, if I give it a lot more it rolls past the flat spot and launches forward... I think that he didn't get the kinks worked out of it, or maybe he never kept it that low in the range.... I think that I will move the needle position up so it will help my 1/4 throttle air/fuel ratio and see if this fixes the problem unless anyone else can suggest something better

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yeah looks like the carbs are the problem with the flat spot. Get a can of carb cleaner, spray the gasket between the carb and cyl head with the engine running, if the rpm changes the gasket is it. Then the floats in the carb could be too low, plus running too lean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.