Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I was at auto club speedway yesterday with fasttrack riders and used Pirelli SC2 on my 2005 r1 for the first time. I am not that fast, running intermediate pace around 1:47-1:48. Loved the tyres, but the rear type left side wear marks were completed gone after 1 day. I was running 25-26 hot on the rear.

Any ideas on why the tyre wear is so quick? how can I get more than one trackday out of it?

Attachments

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,452 Posts
I think they were a tic hot, you could probably bump up the pressures a few tics. It also depends on how abrasive the track is.

I run the SC1 at 28 hot I the rear, but generally the tracks I ride here have new pavement that is abrasive.

Can you take a clear picture of the wear holes?

P.S. I get ~6-8 days from the rear with a flip in the middle. At a upper I pace. Was chasing the track temps a bit that day but you can see how much cooler that tire is vs yours.

·
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90
84 Posts
You can end up chasing issues like this for quite a while.

It looks like the surface is overheating a bit and the rubber is starting to superheat. Naturally Pirelli's have a tendency to have this behaviour moreso than other brands as temperature rises, but it looks more prevalent than usual. It does look consistent across the arch however and we don't see any obvious tearing. Usually if you are overheating due to bottoming or incorrect spring rate, you see it on the edge where maximum load occurs, but both the center, driveline and edges are relatively consistent. I'd be curious if they feel greasy, in particular when you get on the throttle driving out of corners? Do they feel greasier as the session goes on? As suggested a bit more pressure would be where I'd start.

No offence to TAD's post, but that tire looks odd, as though its somewhat underdampened and is pogo-ing in the corners given the inconsistency in the wear causing some tearing.

Of course your suspension is going to play a big hand in this. I can't quite tell from the picture what it is, is it stock?
If that's the case, its possible the shock is starting to fade as it heats up.

If you are looking for data, here are a few pictures for comparison using a K-tech 35DDS, on a rough track with an SC2 that I would argue is pretty close to ideal. Usually there is a bit more smear on the tires, I think it was a cooler day. I'll do 2-2 1/4 days on a rear, which is consistent with other brands, mid pro-level pace. Given the price of tires, strongly consider having that shock looked at or rebuilt. It will cost you a bit for a proper shock/service, but eating a tire a day gets spendy. Start from a known quantity and adjust from there. Also look at your spring rate/weight.

We've all chased setup, its great when you get it, but frustrating when you can't :(

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the pics, is it a 2015+ r1 wheel? suspension is stock and i have not noticed any major sliding. I will get the suspension checked out. It was close 100F and i was running 25/26, will try 28 for the next track day.

·
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90
84 Posts
It is, try 28 and see how it goes, it's possible the soft compound is better at that temperature, but on a rough track you may not get a lot of life. This is just a guess though. Also try bringing a small fan to put some air across the rear shock between sessions and cool it down. Generally stock components are never really designed for aggressive track use

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
10,452 Posts
@ravenr, that tire has a ton of life left in it still. Deff over heated the tire. Like I said I am usually using 28 as my starting point on a hot our abrasive track.
@smergy, yes that was a weird wear pattern, that did end up clearing up once I got the pressure right, was slightly too high (29.5, after I found my old and cheap gage was reading low) resulting in a cold tare plus a slight rebound issue. That was just the last pic I could find of my tire from last year. My point was only to show how much smoother and less melted it looked everywhere else other than that area. The op's tire just looked generally too hot, and adding pressure might have chilled it down enough to get the life he is expressing out of it.

·
Cabin Fever!
253 Posts
I think they were a tic hot, you could probably bump up the pressures a few tics. It also depends on how abrasive the track is.

I run the SC1 at 28 hot I the rear, but generally the tracks I ride here have new pavement that is abrasive.

Can you take a clear picture of the wear holes?

P.S. I get ~6-8 days from the rear with a flip in the middle. At a upper I pace. Was chasing the track temps a bit that day but you can see how much cooler that tire is vs yours.
that wear pattern looks like something is not right, a heavier spring or slower rebound maybe? Im not a professional by any means but it looks funky to me

·
Cabin Fever!
253 Posts
to OP, it could be a technique issue as well as temp issue... slowing too much for corners and compensating by harder acceleration out of the corner is gonna chew em up quicker.... my lefts go faster than rights for that reason...Mr. Ken Hill told me I was doing it wrong haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that’s another reason for sure, otherwise I will be a lot more faster.:) ., need to learn to brake well and carry speed through the turns

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,335 Posts
I’ve always burned through tires much faster than everyone else in the pack, being a heavy rider on a 1000 can wear through a tire quickly. No idea if the op is a big guy or not though but it can definitely affect how many days you can get out of a tire.

·
10,452 Posts
that wear pattern looks like something is not right, a heavier spring or slower rebound maybe? Im not a professional by any means but it looks funky to me
That was my tire, not the op's tire....I have solved that issue...Was not spring was pressure and rebound. Again was mearly showing how much cooler the rest of the tire was compared to the op's tires....

I think I should remove that pic to lessen the confusion.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts