Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda dominate on final day of key Phillip Island test

The final day of marathon MotoGP testing in Malaysia and Australia ended in Phillip Island today with Honda once again stamping their authority over their rivals with a crushing display of dominance. Just as at Sepang last weekend, the Japanese factory riders were in comfortable and confident mood as they eased to the top of the time sheets, Max Biaggi clocking the best time on the final day with a lap of 1’30.21. Behind Biaggi four out of the following five quickest times were set by Honda riders, the exception being the current World Champion Valentino Rossi on the Yamaha.

“I am really happy with my time today and happy with the work we have done overall,” commented Biaggi. “I was comfortable on one bike but we had a chatter problem and on the second bike it was the other way around - there was no chatter but I was uncomfortable! Anyway, we basically mixed the two bikes up to find a decent compromise and I was able to ride comfortably for a 25 lap race simulation. We have found a structural fault to be the problem in one of the bikes so hopefully this will be resolved for the next test"

Team-mates Colin Edwards and Sete Gibernau, second and third fastest respectively today, also carried out a race simulation in the morning and were so happy with the results that they packed up at 12pm.

Back out on the track their Yamaha rivals lapped until the end of the afternoon, in conditions which were more cloudy and slightly cooler than the first two days, with Valentino Rossi finally choosing his favoured engine from a choice of four brought to the test by the factory. The Italian was unable to make any progress on his lap times but later revealed that he was satisfied with the M1’s capacity for future improvement. “Myself and Jeremy (Burgess) have chosen the engine which we think has the most potential,” said Rossi. “It still needs a lot more power but we think we can get that from this engine.”

Aprilia rider Jeremy McWilliams and Ducati’s Ruben Xaus were both absent from the circuit today due to injury. McWilliams flew home early after suffering chronic pain due to the broken rib he sustained in a crash at Sepang, whilst Xaus was observed overnight at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne after suffering bad bruising to his neck and back in a spectacular crash yesterday. Makoto Tamada was at the circuit but did not ride, commenting that his team had completed all the work they had planned for this test.

Unofficial lap times

Max Biaggi (Honda): 1’30.21 (62 laps)
Colin Edwards (Honda): 1’30.45 (31 laps)
Sete Gibernau (Honda) : 1’30.60 (41 laps)
Nicky Hayden (Honda): 1’30.68 (83 laps)
Valentino Rossi (Yamaha): 1’30.80 (78 laps)
Alex Barros (Honda): 1’30.88 (74 laps)
Loris Capirossi (Ducati): 1’30.97 (56 laps)
Troy Bayliss (Ducati): 1’31.64 (68 laps)
Carlos Checa (Yamaha): 1’31.96 (92 laps)
Marco Melandri (Yamaha): 1’32.00 (80 laps)
Shane Byrne (Aprilia): 1’32.28 (67 laps)
Neil Hodgson (Ducati): 1’32.44 (64 laps)
Norick Abe (Yamaha): 1’33.76 (80 laps)

:thumbup

·
Nipping at the big dogs tail
821 Posts
Honda, Honda, Honda! Too bad for Rossi. I think the dominating riders will be Edwards and Hayden, they will be on the podium a lot this year. Edwards is consistant with the proper machinery (which it looks like he has with Honda this year) and really good under pressure. He doesn't choke when it comes down to the wire, he's like the iceman.

And Nicky is just plain driven. At his young age, he just wants to win and can focus all his energy to that task.

Biaggi is good, but only when conditions are perfect for him (read: perfect set up, perfect weather conditions, perfect attitude, and in his zone), otherwise he's second fiddle.

Sete is great, but only when chasing Rossi. Without Rossi, he's just good, so he better look for someone else to chase. Maybe Edwards?

This looks to be an exciting year in MotoGP as long as one Honda rider doesn't run away with the Championship. My prediction is Edwards, by just a few points.

·
aka `GoBabyGo`
1,139 Posts
Just remember that racing is totally different to track testing. You need to keep in mind that when you test you can fry the tires and the motor for a few laps as long as it looks good, in the race you can't and you have the track to yourself basically so no pressure that could cause you to make a mistake.

Not that I think you prediction is wrong but hopefully we are in for some good close racing, at least the lap times are not to far apart.

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
I think Yamaha is doing quite well since they are still not running the 'O4 spec yet, but Honda and Ducati are already running their 'O4 version already.

Btw, what happen to Capirossi? He was slower than his second day. Even Rossi was slower than the second day. :( I guess they are really focusing on developing a new bike instead of chasing a good lap time.

What a nice picture... :yesnod

Attachments

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Its been reported the Yammer has the 04 spec engine but still the 03 chassis.:)

BD
Yeah that's true. Well, they had 4 different "new" engines to test with, and it seems that they already have picked one. Now they are just trying to get more hp out of it. Can't wait to see their completed 'O4 bike.

:)

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
valerossi said:

What a nice picture... :yesnod
Cool pic of Bayliss going over the start/finish line and down to turn 1(Doohan corner). Clicking down from 6th to 5th and going flat nacker around that turn scares the:scared out of me:yesnod....what a rush though:rock

Cheers,
:thumbup

·
Registered
21 Posts
YOU GUY ARE FUNNY HAS HELL ALL WHO DOWN THE R WILL SEE IN THE END WE HAVE THE BEST RIDER IN THE WORLD HANDS DOWN. THE BIKE NEEDS I LITTLE WORK BUT IT WILL BE READY BY RACE DAY. SO THE HELL WITH HONDAS TEST TIME NEE.DRAGGER. PAST PERFORMANCE IS ALL THE DOC DO IS WIN SO WHAT THAT TELL YOU MAN.

·
Pops
1,495 Posts
XTREME said:
YOU GUY ARE FUNNY HAS HELL ALL WHO DOWN THE R WILL SEE IN THE END WE HAVE THE BEST RIDER IN THE WORLD HANDS DOWN. THE BIKE NEEDS I LITTLE WORK BUT IT WILL BE READY BY RACE DAY. SO THE HELL WITH HONDAS TEST TIME NEE.DRAGGER. PAST PERFORMANCE IS ALL THE DOC DO IS WIN SO WHAT THAT TELL YOU MAN.

um you mean the "M"???

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
Here is a nice picture from Phillip Island... :thumbup

Attachments

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
XTREME said:

:confused:

·
Nipping at the big dogs tail
821 Posts
XTREME said:
If it's the riders performance, why didn't Kenny Roberts, Jr. repeat his 1999 Championship? His past performances that led to his winning was nothing more than inspiring. And no one can deny that Kenny is a great rider (it's in his blood and he grew up riding with some of the best). It all comes down to the bike and the team giving the rider what he needs to win. It's much easier to win when you are on the number one bike for the number one manufacturer in the world. Especially if the machine is built around you and your needs. All things being equal (and they never are), on any given day, there is always someone better, faster, or stronger. And for the past couple of years, everything has not been equal. This year both Rossi and Yamaha will have to prove they are up to the task, because in MOTOGP it is THE RIDER, THE TEAM, AND THE MACHINE. PERIOD!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
9 Participants
dsf600rr
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing