Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so one of the guys I work with has 2 year old busa and we both happened to ride to work today. Doesnt take a genious to figure out what happens next.

He was low on gas and didnt want to do much but I did convince him to at least do a roll on from 20-30 mph in 1st and see what happens. So we did.

It was funny, we were cruising at about 30 when he honked his horn and we both nailed it. The low end torque of the busa had it pull out about a bike length. By that time the r1s power had kicked in and pulled him back, more than back. Ask any r1 ownwer what happens when the tach gets up there in first. Thats right pulled up to him with the front tire in the air. Too much fun. We both had a good laugh.

We went and got gas and shot the sh*t and will be doing some further fooling around in the near future. He did say that once I pulled up to him he shut down, so we'll see what a balls out run does soon.I'll let you know how it goes.

One thing is for sure. Busa and probably gixxer 1k and older R1s will get a new 04 off the line. But after that the new r1 is just plain brutally fast and will keep up with anything given the riders are equal.

·
Can i bum $1
884 Posts
that's cool. I got a couple of friends that keep insisting on a roll on against their cars. Oh well they'll learn soon enough. Haven't had the opportunity you had though.

·
res ipsa loquitur
251 Posts
djetch said:
that's cool. I got a couple of friends that keep insisting on a roll on against their cars. Oh well they'll learn soon enough. Haven't had the opportunity you had though.
Do your friends drive cars like this?

·
Grip and rip
148 Posts
djetch said:
Dosn't it make you laugh when some guy with a hot car challenges you?
I have found that your average car enthusist has ABSOLUTELY NO idea how fast bikes are.
They just can not relate at all.
One day I will tell you a funny story about a guy who I worked with , his car fetish and my '94 Suzuki RF 900

·
Grip and rip
148 Posts
sec edh said:
Do your friends drive cars like this?
There are those out there for sure, but how much did it cost?
Performance per dollar would be very high indeed I bet

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personnally I had a 91 300zx TT, JWT mods to 415 hp. Reason I sold it? 99 R1. The car and the bike only got driven on nice summer days and I only put 1,000 miles on the Z one year. So away it went. You're definately right though, most guys dont have a clue what their in for. Some guy in motorcylcist went off about how his new corvette is faster than a crotch rocket.

he needs to be raced for pinks.:rock

·
running with scissors...
914 Posts
drag racing busa's.....man theres a lot of gray area...was your friends busa stock? Is he as good a rider as you are? You just did one roll on right? Hey I think its great to compare these bikes and all, but they are two very different machines.

20-30 mph on my busa is under the power curve anyway. Plus with the R1's super tall first gear the busa is gonna have to shift at about 80 if its got stock gears. I'd say that a first gear roll on, it's probably gonna go to the R1 in those conditions being that the bike is so much lighter. Thats not were busas are fast anyway. From a dead stop if the guy on the busa know what hes doing he's gonna be going 50mph before you are and he'll have time to shift. You'll probably trade leads on and off after that depending on gearing and how well you shift.

If you really want to find out how fast a busa is do a 150 mph roll on in 4th gear.

you know what I like about my busa? The fact that at 175 if I nail it, it takes off so hard that I have to really plant my ass on the seat or I'll be sitting on the road.

I also like clutching third gear at about 90mph and smoking the tire as it goes into a low wheelie to about 130.

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
1/4 mile times would be a nice comparo.:riding :fork

·
Judo CHOP!
1,447 Posts
Maybe this goes w/o saying, but were you on an '04 R1?

·
I suck less than you
466 Posts
You want silly fast?

Heavily Turbo'd , road-going (just) 'Busa.

100 - 180 mph in 3 secs. See for yourself. Out and out NUTS!

www.rx-7.net/video/NLRturbo.wmv

And be sure to take note of the size of the rider. He's no midget. I think Mr. Strunk might have a little trouble getting the rear plate of this lil number as it rips a hole in the horizon.....

·
04 Moped rider
293 Posts
ontiK said:
You want silly fast?

And be sure to take note of the size of the rider. He's no midget. I think Mr. Strunk might have a little trouble getting the rear plate of this lil number as it rips a hole in the horizon.....
Just like a suzuki, Got to add turbo to meke em fast.:lol :lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
My buddy has a 03 busa and I have a 02 R1, if we race from around 30, I can pull him till about 120, then the big bike takes over. If we race from a 50 mile and hour role in 6th gear, I will take him every time. I do have a 1 down tooth in the front.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
Good comparison... I was ready to throw the :bs flag until I noticed you had the 04... I know the 02/03 models are no match for a busa in a roll on...

- BA

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
dairyman said:
1000th post and how ugly are busas anyway
Exceedingly!!! and don't forget 'if ya nail a Happybuss @ 175 it will leave your ass on the pavement it pulls so hard' Boy thats a good one. :lol :lol

BD

·
1 bad R1 !!
373 Posts
ontiK said:
You want silly fast?

I have seen the NLR bike in person it belong's to SEB.
It is bad a$$.
I have a turbo R1 your busa can play with..

1 - 20 of 200 Posts