Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchase a 2000 yzfr1 and since I have bought it it has pretty much been in a shop trying to restore it to its true potential. Fast forward and I finally got the bike back a few thousand down the road it has had a lot of work done to it. Since the day I brought it home I noticed that when I am turning left at take off speed(slow) in first gear and very time it has done this has been turning left. There is an extremely hard knock it almost feels like I have been I have been hit my a car from the back it is one loud hard almost slam but the bike rides fine drives good changes gears good have no issue as the bike picks up in speed. It does not do it all the time either though it was like maybe every five times I have road it, now is becoming more frequent. When I got it back from the performance shop it happened at the first stop sign so I turned around had the mechanic that finally got my bike running and told him about it he road the bike and nothing happened of course we didn’t understand then I said something about back breaks and he was like I don’t use the back breaks he said that maybe it he said when using it that there may be something catching and then causing it to do what it does getting uncaught so I decide to take the bike home and not use the back break and this actually seemed to make the issue stop. But as I have gotten to ride it more the issue has reappeared agian it does not do it every time and it is always when taking off at a low speed turning left agian it is extremely hard knock it feels like something hits under the left side of my seat not sure about that though I have looked everywhere all the places to see if something might be catching or getting snagged and nothing please if someone could help me figure this out I would surely appericate it

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I purchase a 2000 yzfr1 and since I have bought it it has pretty much been in a shop trying to restore it to its true potential. Fast forward and I finally got the bike back a few thousand down the road it has had a lot of work done to it. Since the day I brought it home I noticed that when I am turning left at take off speed(slow) in first gear and very time it has done this has been turning left. There is an extremely hard knock it almost feels like I have been I have been hit my a car from the back it is one loud hard almost slam but the bike rides fine drives good changes gears good have no issue as the bike picks up in speed. It does not do it all the time either though it was like maybe every five times I have road it, now is becoming more frequent. When I got it back from the performance shop it happened at the first stop sign so I turned around had the mechanic that finally got my bike running and told him about it he road the bike and nothing happened of course we didn’t understand then I said something about back breaks and he was like I don’t use the back breaks he said that maybe it he said when using it that there may be something catching and then causing it to do what it does getting uncaught so I decide to take the bike home and not use the back break and this actually seemed to make the issue stop. But as I have gotten to ride it more the issue has reappeared agian it does not do it every time and it is always when taking off at a low speed turning left agian it is extremely hard knock it feels like something hits under the left side of my seat not sure about that though I have looked everywhere all the places to see if something might be catching or getting snagged and nothing please if someone could help me figure this out I would surely appericate it
You description makes me think sproket missing a few teeth or badly worn. Is the chain seized? a solid link will do that sort of thing? Its most unlikly to be the swing-arm bearings although mine have a bit of movement in them and i replaced them back in 2012, as it was an MOT failure. I have the same bike as you, btw, since new.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,513 Posts
Check the spacers, the axle, the sprockets, the chain and inspect the swingarm for freeplay.

Also, make sure the neck is true on the front end, check the triple clamp and forks for play and check your front axle and spacers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You description makes me think sproket missing a few teeth or badly worn. Is the chain seized? a solid link will do that sort of thing? Its most unlikly to be the swing-arm bearings although mine have a bit of movement in them and i replaced them back in 2012, as it was an MOT failure. I have the same bike as you, btw, since new.
The sprocket and chain are both brand new they were replaced right before I purchased the bike and I haven’t got to ride it at all up until about a month ago when I got it back from the shop it was doing it before the shop when I was trying to get it there and like I said when I got it back I quit using back break that seemed to help and then all a sudden it is happening more and more frequently it does feel like it is any bearings or the chain it’s kind of feels like someone taking a metal pole hitting the left side under my seat or something but it’s extremely hard agian it only does it as I am taking off and turning sharp to the left it has happened turning slightly to left but most turning sharp

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,513 Posts
The sprocket and chain are both brand new they were replaced right before I purchased the bike and I haven’t got to ride it at all up until about a month ago when I got it back from the shop it was doing it before the shop when I was trying to get it there and like I said when I got it back I quit using back break that seemed to help and then all a sudden it is happening more and more frequently it does feel like it is any bearings or the chain it’s kind of feels like someone taking a metal pole hitting the left side under my seat or something but it’s extremely hard agian it only does it as I am taking off and turning sharp to the left it has happened turning slightly to left but most turning sharp
Also check the linkage for your rear shock assembly.

·
amazed....
2006 Yamaha R1 LE #244
640 Posts
Did you check the cush drive in the rear wheel to make sure it is still good?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also check the linkage for your rear shock assembly.
I have not checked the linkage to the rear shock I was actually watching videos yesterday to to learn how to set them beings I am fairly new to riding and don’t kno anything about the mechanics of a bike. I’m slowing learning more and more. Also I am about 145 lbs what should the rear shock be set at work someone my size.

·
1,003 Posts
if only during sharp turn it in the fork or front wheel; something loose in fork (probably one tube is loose)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if only during sharp turn it in the fork or front wheel; something loose in fork (probably one tube is loose)
It may be possible to be the front end but it does not feel like it’s the front I mean it’s an extremely hard hit it feels like from the rear

·
1,003 Posts
have a helper push you with wheel turned to the left and then quickly apply front brake to see if any play or noise in fork

you already check both sprockets and chain ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you checked the sprocket bushings? Aka cush drive rubbers?
I understand the sprocket was changed on purchase so the more reason to check the bushings have not been damaged in the process.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so an update on my yzfr1 I have removed the back wheel checked the cushes, the sprocket, the chain it is all good wheel bearings are brand new. I also went ahead and changed the oil and in the old oil I found very fine metal particles. I kno this is not good! It has a tick on the clutch side of the bike and agian it every so often does the extremely hard knock it’s just once kind of like someone takes a metal bar and hits under the left side of my seat but it’s only when taking off it only at low speed but the bike runs great it’s fast any info would be appericated.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,513 Posts
Check the stroke. You'll need it to be on the bike. Set up a camera and hop on or have a friend hop on and watch it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All that looks good it’s clean could it be in the shock itself
Also I changed the oil yesterday and in the old oil there were real fine metal dust flakes what could cause this I kno it isn’t good just not sure what causes it. The clutch sometimes going into gear or down shifting is hitting pretty hard also slips sometimes could this cause the metal flakes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts