Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of polishing the frame,swingarm and rims on my 04 but im not sure on the exact way of going about this,can anyone offer me some advice?How do I get the paint off and what compounds should I use?If you can refer me to a company that sells the products i need that would be great.Thanks for any help.:)

·
Simon Says:
1,908 Posts
uh, err, isn't that against the rules or something?
Seriously though, allow me to give you a simple but good point of advice.

If you are a beginner polisher, say, have never polished a bike by hand, I wouldn't try to take on the 04 for your learning experience. Not only is it a very long and pain staking process, you will have a tough time blending the polished surface of the frame with the sides and back (which you will not be able to polish unless you drop the motor and such) which are black. If you are serious about polishing your, frame, swingarm and wheels. Have them chromed by an experienced shop/person. Polish looks ok, but not great. When you see those "Really Shinny *SS" bikes, they are chromed.
Keep in mind you will need to have the bike completely disassembled for this process. Also be prepared to spend some serious coin.

So in short, do yourself a favor, do it right or don't do it at all, because you don't want to end up with a brand new bike that has a half polished frame. Belive me, I know what I'm talking about, you will get half way through the process, and start trying to convince yourself how good brushed aluminum looks.

Just my .02

·
Registered
47 Posts
And if you polish it you will be cleaning it all the time.
Chrome is the way to go. more money but less hassel later.
And don't do it you'r self.JKRstich is right it's not a good Idea.
You can send you'r rims out.Andget chrome rims Or they will chrome yours. Just look in in a sportbike mag. they always have stuff like that.
Good luck!!

·
Have you been bitten yet?
939 Posts
If you work with your polisher and powdre coater you can take the freshly polished bits in gabage bags (to help eliminate any oxidation) straight to the powder coater and get a clear coat on it. That way it stays shiny and protected and wont go all to hell with the first wash. You could also try a candy PC over the polish if you are looking for some thing a little different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts