Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Is the biker responsible for the chasing cops death?

• Yes

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • No

Votes: 39 73.6%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Track Day Junkie!
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scenario: A biker is speeding. He gets lit up by Johnny Law and knows it. He evades. In the course of the pursuit, the cop gets in to an accident and dies.

Should the biker be responsible for the cops death?

·
For the Love of.........Riding
6,669 Posts
If a cager isn't responsible for a bikers death when they were the cause of the accident...then I say no he shouldn't be. I don't know if I'd run from the cops either.

·
Super Moderator
45,411 Posts
Simply speeding doesn't warrant any kind of pursuit that could end up in the LEO's death.

Now, if the biker had committed murder, kidnapping, some other kind of heinous dangerous crime and was a bigger danger if he got away, then I'd say the pursuit is warranted. In that case if the LEO gets killed during the pursuit then I'd say the biker is responsible.

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
RRainman said:
Scenario: A biker is speeding. He gets lit up by Johnny Law and knows it. He evades. In the course of the pursuit, the cop gets in to an accident and dies.

Should the biker be responsible for the cops death?
The laws are very unclear imo... what if it's reverse? If a guy is driving on the road, not speeding, but the cop just wanted to stop him to check him out, then unfortuanly a truck strike the passenger car and killed the driver while the cop is following him... should the cop be charged with murder too? I'm pretty sure he won't get a murder charge...

Yes that biker did something wrong, but I still don't think he deserve a conviction of aggravated manslaughter... personally I think high-speed chase should be banned in general... our province banned high-speed chase for many years already due to too many controverial cases like this... and also due to the fact that high-speed chase will put many other people in the public in dangerous... it happened many times that someone else got killed, so who's to blame for that?

:corn

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Here is another controversial example...

What if the bike evades... then the cop start this high-speed chase... then unfortunatly the cop car striked another car on the street and killed that inoncent driver that has nothing to do with the chase...

So you gonna blame this on the biker too because he started it? However, it's actually the cop car that killed that inoncent driver... so who should get the murder charges in a case like this?

:no

·
Track Day Junkie!
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Valerossi said:
So you gonna blame this on the biker too because he started it? However, it's actually the cop car that killed that inoncent driver... so who should get the murder charges in a case like this?

:no
The biker is who I would blame. In the course of felony evasion, teo people died. The rider is responsibile. If they hadn't have run. it wouldn't have happened. If they didn't run and were pulling over, the rider did not commit a felony and would not be responsible.

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
RRainman said:
The biker is who I would blame. In the course of felony evasion, teo people died. The rider is responsibile. If they hadn't have run. it wouldn't have happened. If they didn't run and were pulling over, the rider did not commit a felony and would not be responsible.
Well, to tell you the truth, there was a similar case here, the family of the innocent driver sued the cop/city and won the case...

But like I mentioned before, our province banned high-speed chase for many years due to too many similar controversial cases like this...

Honestly, I wouldn't blame 100% on the biker, cause no matter what, the person that behind the wheel of the car that killed another person is in the fact the cop himself... so he should be responsible also...

This is very similar as a cop that shot an innocent person while trying to shoot a criminal... the person who fired the shot was in fact the cop himself, not the criminal... it was the cop's own judgement to fire that shot...

·
Track Day Junkie!
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Valerossi said:
Well, to tell you the truth, there was a similar case here, the family of the innocent driver sued the cop/city and won the case...
They sued the city because that's where the money is, and their lawyer knew it! That's got nothing to do with root cause of the tragedy.

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,328 Posts
it is the bikers fault. but if a cop chases a kid under 18 and the kid crashes the officer can be sued at that point. i have to say that if a cop starts teh chase he needs to look at the reason. but if all bikes were to run then they woudl have to start chasing to make people stop again. our city doesnt let a cop chase a bike unless it commited a felony before the chase started. im just saying that if you run you have to pay the penalty if something goes wrong

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
southern118 said:
it is the bikers fault. but if a cop chases a kid under 18 and the kid crashes the officer can be sued at that point. i have to say that if a cop starts teh chase he needs to look at the reason. but if all bikes were to run then they woudl have to start chasing to make people stop again. our city doesnt let a cop chase a bike unless it commited a felony before the chase started. im just saying that if you run you have to pay the penalty if something goes wrong
Yes you pay penalty, but being charged with manslaughter is a bit overboard imo... I'm pretty sure they put that charge in because the person that died was a cop...

·
Elbow Dragger
591 Posts
RRainman said:
The rider is responsibile. If they hadn't have run, it wouldn't have happened.
If the cop hadn't have chased, it wouldn't have happened.

If the rider crashes into someone while running, THEN, it is his fault. If the officer crashes into someone while chasing, it is HIS fault...

The officer does not have to chase and is not required to endanger people. If he is going to chase someone for speeding, then he damn well needs to make sure he doesn't endanger innocent people while doing so. If it was to endanger innocent people, he should cease chasing...

·
Registered
672 Posts
QUOTE]Originally posted by Myke_X
A cop takes the job knowing there is risks involved. [/QUOTE]

:iamwithst i couldnt agree more, if you engage in an action you should be fully aware of the possible reprocussions that may fallow as a result of the engagment

A cop should be able to assess the situation at hand, thats why they go to training schools and such, but i do agree and i would think that a police officer is told not to chase. if they dont stop for a half mile, what do you think is going to make them stop at 100+ mph 10 miles down the road. i would think that in a way they should chase, well not chase but pursue, but only after a certain time of night when less people are on the road or for a certain distance.

X Racer said:
Southern, on a side note, is there a series of pics that your avatar came from ??? Let us see... :sneaky
:iamwithst

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,328 Posts
Valerossi said:
Yes you pay penalty, but being charged with manslaughter is a bit overboard imo... I'm pretty sure they put that charge in because the person that died was a cop...
look at it this way if it is just becuse he is a COP then you could honestly be up for capital murder. and that is enough for the death penality. if you were to get real technical and they wanted to push the issue. becuase murder is murder but killing a peace officer is consider capital murder.

is it right in my mind if you try to run you are old enough to know what the reprocutions might be if something happens. it is against the law to run. have i ever run yes. do i run every time no. you have to pick out the right time if you choose to. but be a man if you get caught or causes a wreck. like a cop knows if he chases and it is a kid the kid gets hurt/killed then he is responisble because he caused a minor to run yes it is ****ed up but they have to deal with that to.

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
southern118 said:
look at it this way if it is just becuse he is a COP then you could honestly be up for capital murder. and that is enough for the death penality. if you were to get real technical and they wanted to push the issue. becuase murder is murder but killing a peace officer is consider capital murder.

is it right in my mind if you try to run you are old enough to know what the reprocutions might be if something happens. it is against the law to run. have i ever run yes. do i run every time no. you have to pick out the right time if you choose to. but be a man if you get caught or causes a wreck. like a cop knows if he chases and it is a kid the kid gets hurt/killed then he is responisble because he caused a minor to run yes it is ****ed up but they have to deal with that to.
I never said the biker shouldn't be responsible for anything... but imo he doesn't deserve to die or charge with a murder... read my reply to RRainman on the other thread...

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/show...d=142559&perpage=20&pagenumber=3&#post1992931

1 - 17 of 17 Posts