Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,347 Posts
I personally don't like my exhaust loud. I do however like a open exhaust without any kind of baffle. So what I like is a nice full aftermarket exhaust with a decent length canister where it sounds just right. Louder/deeper than stock but not obnoxious.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I don't know. Maybe I'm the odd one out here but I love stupid loud pipes. Pretty much when it equates to more power though. And that's mostly on the track. I love loud pipes on the street also, but maybe not so obnoxiously so. From a riders point of view.

I ride cruisers on the street. I've had more than one time on my Roadstar where I've gotten some stupid moms attention with a rap on the throttle with my Freedoms or my Cobras where the joke of a horn would've done nothing. Yes, it sounds like a Harley but it's actually a Yamaha so it's better in multiple areas.

Different now that I sold my Roadie and bought an F6B for touring. Need to get some pipes and a tune for this thing.

Love loud pipes on a R1 or similar bike though. Nothing like a screaming I4 to this day. Crossplane and V4 bikes be damned. Love that raw power sound of a bike like my 06 on the straight

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'd better be careful what I say as both of my bikes are quite loud. The R1 is impressive when you wind it out, and I've lost the dB killer that came with the exhausr. At least the EXUP keeps the noise down at low revs.

I'm not a fan of stupid loud bikes though. Especially Hardlys, which sound horrible with straight pipes. And any 2015- R1 with the cat removed. I had one go past when I was stopped on the side of the road, and it was LOUD.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

·
Unacceptable
1,241 Posts
I don't know. Maybe I'm the odd one out here but I love stupid loud pipes. Pretty much when it equates to more power though. And that's mostly on the track.
Even tracks are starting to crack down on db levels; Laguna Seca has been performing sound monitoring for years.

I had the misfortune to have this racket machine pit beside me last year. It was ear-bleedingly loud on the back straight which, unfortunately, my pit faced. Everyone winced or covered their ears when he went by. A couple of people even complained to the provider about it but nothing was ever done.

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
11,022 Posts
Even tracks are starting to crack down on db levels; Laguna Seca has been performing sound monitoring for years.

I had the misfortune to have this racket machine pit beside me last year. It was ear-bleedingly loud on the back straight which, unfortunately, my pit faced. Everyone winced or covered their ears when he went by. A couple of people even complained to the provider about it but nothing was ever done.

Tell him to get that chicken strip off the side of that small rear tire.

I'm not that kind of guy but if he's out there obnoxiously like that, I'm taking jabs.

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,473 Posts
Hate straight pipes, and hate it when people feel the need to rev/redline their bike in town like it's hot shit. GTFO and STFU :<

·
245 Posts
My oem mufflers were reamed out. Lucky for me ebay sold me a new factory pair for $200. Was happy then. Now my ears don't ring so much.

I still wear ear plugs for the wind noise (depending on which type of helmet I use).

I also admit 99 percent of all vehicles are polite towards me when I ride my R1.

My cbr 900 came with a new Yoshimura muffler, so I purchased another with an end cap, but was still too loud for me, so I bought a used oem muffler on ebay for $200.00...happy again.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,347 Posts

I can see loud being a issue out in the public on streets,but at a race track??I see no issue with loud myself. Some love to go watch races and hear the loud bikes, while others if they don't like it could just stay home or put in ear plugs. I myself do not like loud but wouldn't be complaining and ruining it for those who do when I could just throw in some ear plugs if needed. I like my exhaust as quiet as it can be while being a fully open (no baffle) aftermarket exhaust. I love that my 04 r1 has the dual canisters as I feel it helps a little more in getting that full open exhaust without that obnoxious loud. Just my 2 cents is all. I've always stuck with just because I don't like it doesn't mean I should ruin it for those who do.

·
Unacceptable
1,241 Posts
Trust me, even at the track there's such a thing as too loud. Pretty much ruins the enjoyment of everyone else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts