Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Z Custom

Votes: 2 2.6%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Bakes" should read "Bates" I have asked the moderator to correct my error.

Hopefully, I've included most of the choices. I did not include many off the rack suits.

If you have any miraculous "my suit saved my ass (and only had one scratch) stories, please post them. As many of you know, most suits look and feel great until the first get off!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Triumph and BMW also I believe make a nice bunch of leathers. Just bought a pair of Triiumph Sport Pants with sliders, all padded inserts in hips and knees for 300 dollars. I looked at Dianese, Teknic, Joe Rocket and a bunch of others and these were the best buy regardless of price. Had all the features and quality of much higher priced pants.

·
316 Posts
Your list is kinda missing alot of good brands, like Alpinestars and Spidi. Most of these leather companies are pretty good. Nonetheless, I had to go with Dainese. I'm using a Spidi suit right now but I also have Dainese pants and a couple of jackets. The quality of Dainese is just way better than the rest. Only reason I went with Spidi is for the style, color, and availability. At that point in time, Dainese didn't have a suit in the colors that I wanted. Anyway, again all these leather companies all make great products. I think at this day in age, leather is leather. They will all protect you, so alittle bit better than others. It'll all come down to personal preference, but I think all will agree Dainese is tops.

·
fear is healthy
1,038 Posts
I have a Carrera suit and bought because while I was looking for a suit I wanted the best I could find quality wise.
While in the shop looking at suits a guy I sponsor walked in with a sorry looking suit and his arm in a sling! He asked if they could do anything to sort it out as the doctor had to cut the suit to get him out of it after a heavy crash.They said no problem they would put new panels in and give the suit a good clean and check for any other damage.
I saw the guy a few weeks later at the track and he had the suit on and it looked good for a suit that had been so fcuked up it needed new panels.The guy told me he had been down the road in that same suit a few times and he would not wear any other because it had saved his skin more times than he would care to mention.He also said it was his fourth or fifth Carrera suit and he always paid for his own suits even if sponsors sorted clothing and leathers for him to use!
Here in the UK CE approval is big with all the body armour and only 3 suits avaliable here have CE approval even without body armour.They are BKS,Hideout and Carrera.Not even Dianese have CE approval for their suits!
It is the best fitting suit I have ever worn!

http://www.carreracanada.com/reviews/MCNReview1.asp

·
7th Kyu
1,452 Posts
I owned a Dainese Safety Pro Suit and a Flash 2 Jacket. I sold them when I, um, out grew them (aka, got too fat). I now have Alpinestars and they do not hold a candle to the Dainese as far as comfort and quality.

Protection.... well luckily I have never had to test any of my protective gear.

Thanks,
Ray

·
Canadian Drinking Team
1,769 Posts
I've never seen the point of buying off the rack leathers. Most of the time you can get a custom made suit for cheaper than most brands. I can get a custom suit (he also sponsors race teams) for $1100 Canadian or buy a Alpinestars suit for $1500 american... hmmmm, tough call. Anyway, look into getting a custom suit done.

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Dainese... that's the Prada in motorcycle... made by the best, wear best the best... :fact

But you've got to pay the price... :cryin

Btw, you guys forgot about RS-Taichi... that's some real nice quality stuff too! :yesnod

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guia_X said:
Anyway, again all these leather companies all make great products. I think at this day in age, leather is leather.
This is definitely NOT true! Many companies make suits that are essentially a fashion item as opposed to a piece of protective gear. There is a big difference between the two. One is made to protect you in a crash and the other is made to look pretty until you crash!

Since I am in the US, this list is heavily weighted with US companies. I know many companies have not been listed, but there is a list limit. As far as I know, Dianese is the best of the Italian outfits, so it is included. I think that BKS is probably the best of the British. I had not heard of Carrera before, but if it is CE rated, it is good enough for me. I have asked the admin to include it in the poll. The CE standard is the most stringent spec for protective gear that I am aware of. It covers stitching technique, materials, etc...

If you are not sure of the quality of the suit that you ahve or are getting, it is probably better to save your money until you are.

P.S. - This is just my .02. I have been known to be an opinionated asshole, so take this for what you think it is worth. I have been on a track. I have gone down with theoretically excellent gear that let me down!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
R6 Matt said:
I can get a custom suit (he also sponsors race teams) for $1100 Canadian or buy a Alpinestars suit for $1500 american... hmmmm, tough call. Anyway, look into getting a custom suit done.
Great point!

Who is he?

Most of the companies in this list will do custom. I know that Dianese and BKS will. Most of the others are essentially custom shops. Not sure about Kushitani.

·
wanna B on the Track
1,250 Posts
dainese must have changed a lot cause i swore i'd never put that expensive crap on my body again... i never liked the fit and it decided to de-thread itself after 3 months of use... i have spidi suits that have been down with highsides and lowsides at the track and i am just starting to have some threads show.... and that suit was bought in 98

·
06 is my year
1,062 Posts
Alpinestars for me

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
castrolr1 said:
dainese must have changed a lot cause i swore i'd never put that expensive crap on my body again... i never liked the fit and it decided to de-thread itself after 3 months of use... i have spidi suits that have been down with highsides and lowsides at the track and i am just starting to have some threads show.... and that suit was bought in 98
Really? Which Dainese suit did you have? :dunno

Well, I had the Dainese Brave 2-piece suit like couple of years back. I went down with it once and it's still in excellent shape. I even kept wearing it for another year. The only reason why I changed is because the color issue. The yellow suit didn't go too well with the R1... :bash

If you pay attention to details(like the finishing), Dainese is by far one of the best I've seen. I know many other brands uses high quality leathers, but the finishing, they really put a lot of attention to it.

About the fitting, I can't really argue with you, cause it's all depends on the person. Certain people fit certain brands better than other. Well, Dainese seems to fit pretty well for me.

:)

***EDIT: Btw, the Brave suit that I had, at that time, it was only their mid range one. You should check out their top models ones. But the price is really sucks though... :( I guess you really get what you pay for.

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Just bought a Dainese Nitro Gp suit..although it was a few more $$$ than what I intended on spending,after trying it on I just couldnt say no:dunno

Have worn it on a few rides now,and I absolutley love it:rock Now I know why Dainese carry the price tag they do,theyre not just a NAME suit,they have the quality to back up their price tags for sure:fact

Just my 0.2cents:thumbup

1 - 20 of 48 Posts