Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Powdercoat levers

731 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  quick6r 
#1 ·
I like the feel of the stock levers on my 01, but I would like to have them black to match a few other goodies. Is it possible to powdercoat them and have the coating hold up for a while? I only ride with gloves on, so I figured that maybe it would last, but I've been wrong before. Someone with any experience with this???

#4 ·
All you gotta do is look at the parts while still on the bike and you will be able to tell what needs masked off. Anything that will rub up against other metal parts will need protected from coating. I'm just worried about the coating wearing off and looking like crap after a couple of years.

#5 ·
If the part is properly cleaned and the powder is properly curred you should have no problems. I use to work for a company the build IR powder coating ovens and the main thing people did wrong that ended up giving powder coating a bad name is that the parts were not properly cleaned and the powder was not properly cured long enough.

#7 ·
quick6r said:
Since you have a bit of experience with powdercoating........ how long do you think it will hold up on the brake and clutch levers under normal use???
Powdercoating if properly pretreated & cured should last for years, provided the right chemistry is used. Be sure to use Urethane or Polyester for the correct UV stability, as Epoxy & hybrids will chalk/oxidize in a season from exposure to sunlight.

Powder will withstand any chemicals/solvents you can throw at it, if cured properly and not transfer or come off, and if pretreated & cured properly adhesion should not be an issue even when components are bent/distorted.

The only issue with powder is the high film build, this can be an issue in tight tolerance areas, such as bushing & cable end locators, be sure to mask those areas prior to application. If they are not masked, its dremel time :thumbup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.