Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i was wondering if anyone had input regarding using the power commanders with dyno tuning but leaving cans pipes and intake stock?

·
Kerry F*kin King!
344 Posts
Yeah, you can do it but dyno tuning would be a must to get any real benefit.

It should give you a crisper throttle response, maybe an HP or 2, and also clear up some of the emissions induced flat spots.

I did the same on a 2000 Aprilia RSVR before I got some cans for the bike and it did make a slight (but not massive) difference.

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah its the flat spots that i want to get rid off

i remember reading a thread on here before where someone said the PC allows full dyno mapping every 10% throttle or something like that while the stock map is a) not a custom map and b) is only in 3 throttle positions

·
Kerry F*kin King!
344 Posts
I took my bike to a proper authorised Dynojet centre where they used the 'tuning-link' software to fully map the bike at every throttle opening.

It took about 25 dyno runs to sort though so bare this in mind! (make sure the bike and rear tyre are healthy).

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,626 Posts
r1_dav3 said:
yeah its the flat spots that i want to get rid off

i remember reading a thread on here before where someone said the PC allows full dyno mapping every 10% throttle or something like that while the stock map is a) not a custom map and b) is only in 3 throttle positions
this is correct.

using the "built-in" ECU adjustement is merely changing the baseline beginning position for the stock map. Not remapping the ECU.

I've always said that a properly equipped and mapped stock bike will be better than a stock bike with stock map.

kinda like a properly jetted carbureted stock bike is beeter than juts leaving it alone.
:fact

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks i will go for the PC and dyno :)

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

there is a local manufacturer of carbon pipes in australia and this dyno is from their website.. the only change is the straight pipe there is no PC

notice how the torque curve is smoothed out? that was what i was hoping the PC would do for me but without having to pay for the pipes

·
Kerry F*kin King!
344 Posts
Unless Ive read it wrong, that graph looks way too optimistic....I reckon they have manipulated the figures just to sell you their pipes.....

+10bhp at 7.5k with just slip-on pipes??? Cant see it myself. (Maybe with a full system, PC3 and a whole lotta dyno time)!!

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
its certainly possible theyve selected the best dyno chart, but at the same time they arent in the business of mass producing.. these are hand made pipes by a one man workshop, no connection to DynoTime the people whove tuned the bike- thats likely to be the only dyno charts he has for an 04 R1, if it isnt well i am certain it would be the best one he has.. but i dont believe the graph has been massaged, he would not have access to the raw data to do that, and if he did well he may as well make up the graph himself.. again kind of risky for his reputation since the graph is stamped dynotime :/

also Perth (where i live) is only a small place, and the dyno charts posted are given to him by his customers, you can see pics of the guys 04 as well on that site

i dont think that the 10hp is just from the pipes, i mean look at the original torque curve, its ridiculous the way it goes backwards then climbs steeply back up- and the power curve just flat lines the moment the torque does that

that dip is still there after the pipes, i can only guess that that bikes baseline wasnt tuned correctly for our atmospheric conditions and fuel.. some of the improvement is from the pipe and the dyno tune also has something to do with the improvement

however the dip isnt as bad as it used to be which is a little surprising to me since i would have thought that if yamaha wanted to restrict the motor in a certain rpm to pass the noise test the easiest place to do it would have been the ECU map

i was hoping that the curve posted by Holmesgr (thanks man thats exactly what i wanted to see) would show that torque dip corrected by the PC

·
Born 2 Ride
96 Posts
Well, I knew that the PC on its own would'nt solve the problem, but I thought better to install a PC before installing other pipes. I was contemplating getting Acrapovic pipes up until the moment i read the threads here by LDHR1 about modifying the stock pipes and the stock velocity stacks. Read those threads I think you will find them very enlightening along with the testimonials by other fellow R1 riders,and the great thing is that the mods cost next to nothing.

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah thanks for the tips, i will check out the threads :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts