Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my 2009 R1 up and running. I bought it about a month ago, upgraded couple of pars (Pazzo levers, Protons Turn Signals, Integrated Tail Light, DDM HID Kit).

Just this past Saturday had an issue with a ripped Radiator hose... had to flush the entire system but finally got it done!

In the midst of fixing everything, I decided to change the air filter, which was never changed by the previous owner for the 7k miles that the bike had. I put GYTR as a replacement. I felt the bike was a bit under power, after the filter change.. holy crap does it fly now!

So now this brings me to my question: As far as performance (if you wanna call it that way) I only have GYTR slip-ons and the GYTR air filter. Do I need a power commander with the set up that I currently have? Few of my friends are yelling and screaming for me to get one... I personally don't have too much experience with it, so I am not sure. But everyone tells me that my bike will run like crap if I don't get a power commander.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

· Administrator
27,555 Posts
Have you or the original owner flashed the ECU? If not, that's what you need to do and then you don't need a PC5.

· Premium Member
52 Posts
I removed my cat after installing slipons... no PCv so far and she purrs nicely. Of course this is just a city and the odd highway drive. No tracks nearby to really open her up on. I had a PCV + Autotune on my old '09 and only thing I noticed it fixed was the hesitation going between 1st and 2nd gear. Anyway, on my '10, have had the Akras (slip & y-) on for about a week now and it runs well without the PCV.

I may do the ECU over winter.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from a fueling aspect you dont need one as the filter and slip ons wont cause any issues.
If you de-cat then maybe so
Exactly what I am thinking about. Over the winter, I plan to put new exhaust system, replacing my headers and de-catting it... then no doubt, I will need a PC5.. but until then, i think it's useless. Thanks for confirming it for me

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I removed my cat after installing slipons... no PCv so far and she purrs nicely. Of course this is just a city and the odd highway drive. No tracks nearby to really open her up on. I had a PCV + Autotune on my old '09 and only thing I noticed it fixed was the hesitation going between 1st and 2nd gear. Anyway, on my '10, have had the Akras (slip & y-) on for about a week now and it runs well without the PCV.

Thank you for clarifying this for me!

· Registered
140 Posts

mine also purrs nicely, but the AFR's on the dyno tell a different story.

Exactly what I am thinking about. Over the winter, I plan to put new exhaust system, replacing my headers and de-catting it... then no doubt, I will need a PC5.. but until then, i think it's useless. Thanks for confirming it for me
Exactly, only use for a PC5 is because you need fueling changes, i don't understand people that fit them and expect a performance gain from the PC5 itself.

· go go juice gonna make me win
1,068 Posts
pc can definitely give performance gains, if your fueling is off enough without it.

you don't need it, specifically, even after the work you mentioned, if you reflash ecu with some fuel maps. but at that point your introducing a certain amount of error because those aren't developed for your bike, with your equipment, in your climate. it'll be close, and probably good enough. but i'd personally do a pc and dyno tune after your mods are done, and then use that fuel map to flash into your ecu.

with the price you can get used pcs for, just keep eye out for good deal so you have it when u need it.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pc can definitely give performance gains, if your fueling is off enough without it.

you don't need it, specifically, even after the work you mentioned, if you reflash ecu with some fuel maps. but at that point your introducing a certain amount of error because those aren't developed for your bike, with your equipment, in your climate. it'll be close, and probably good enough. but i'd personally do a pc and dyno tune after your mods are done, and then use that fuel map to flash into your ecu.

with the price you can get used pcs for, just keep eye out for good deal so you have it when u need it.
Thank you for the advice. Yeah I'm checking deals on the PCv from time to time.

· Registered
113 Posts
I run a graves 3/4 exhaust with a K&N race filter, and a ECU flash done by SBU. My bike runs excellent and smooth power. I really see the need in buying a PC5 when the flash is cheaper and its really all that's need for the mods I have. The flash is without a doubt the biggest difference maker ive felt so far on my r1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.