Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I once thought life was dull ?
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey kids. Here's a serious purchasing question that hopefully ya'll can shed some informative light on. I've been sitting mute on this forum for a while. I've logged 4k miles on an '02 and 7k miles on an '03 R6. My '03 sold yesterday and now it's time for the 1 I'm thinking.

So here's my inquiry: I'm very accustomed to ripping out of corners with the 6. I've read that R1's easily tend to break the rear loose if get'n on it. . .I know realistically speaking no one's ridden the '04 yet, but given it'll have more torque/power than the GSXR 1K, will this be an enjoyable ride? My cousin is a seasoned stunter and totalled his GSXR in < 400 miles. My style of riding is canyons, commuting and of course a lil street racing. Since no one complains of the '03, do you believe the '04 will have more or less "usable/enjoyable" power? I suppose I already got the riding withdrawals after one day and there are some incredible deals on 03's right now. . .

Watcha think? Should I wait or is that the question everyone's asking???

Thanks,
john.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
I'm thinking the 04' may be a bit more of a carver with less spinup out of turns than the earlier models simply because the power is there, but way up in the RPM band. But I can tell you that it's another world compared to the R6 when it comes to carving up the road. The R6 is simply more flickable , I was amazed the first time I rode one at the difference between the two. Seriously the R6 made it feel like I had to wrestle my R1 onto it's side.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
i agree. taking away the stroke and torque will make the 1 easier to come off a corner under power without ripping the rear wheel. the shorter stroke means more higher in the powerband h.p. so it will need to be in upper rpm range for mass power. should be revy like a 600 with more grunt. still will be a monster compared to 6. if u ridden a gsxr 1000. its the same way. notmuch under 4 or 5k but when u get it about 8k it rips

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
1longR1 said:
i agree. taking away the stroke and torque will make the 1 easier to come off a corner under power without ripping the rear wheel. the shorter stroke means more higher in the powerband h.p. so it will need to be in upper rpm range for mass power. should be revy like a 600 with more grunt. still will be a monster compared to 6. if u ridden a gsxr 1000. its the same way. notmuch under 4 or 5k but when u get it about 8k it rips
Wouldn't putting a full Akra exhaust system on an 03 do the same thing? I know that full exhausts rob low end but give you top end.

I feel like I'm always trying to be as smooth as possible with the throttle on my R1 in the canyons because I don't want to bust the rear loose and have to keep the gas on so I don't high side.

Just a thought...:dunno

·
Forum Moderator
3,957 Posts
no.. you'll need to spend well over 2 grand in modz to make the same power on a bone stock 04

1 - 7 of 7 Posts