Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Made of Star Stuff
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what technique do you pros use to get slydewayz :rock in the corners? Personally for me it's usually all about set up if I want to do it text book style but we know how it goes on the track.

·
Rev limiter = Shift indicator
254 Posts
not a pro here by any means, but i have tons of experience sliding in the dirt. i have strarted playing on the street in a few turns where i am all start with getting on the brakes really late and firm with about 2 downshifts. that gets thew back moving around. on the other hand if i want to spin up coming out of a corner i go in at about 8 or 9k and twist untill throttle stop is reached:sneaky just at apex or slightly before, not much, so your still at a good lean angle.

·
I Bleed Blue
199 Posts
Try this it works for me. When entering a turn apply heavy rear brake about 5% into the turn. This will cause the rear end to drift to the outside of the turn. Then apply throttle moderately. BE CAREFUL!!! that you are not in a low gear such as 1st or 2nd or you will high side. I like to use 3rd gear it is smoother and more predictable.
If you want to watch a master at this try to catch Aaron Yates on the next AMA race on TV
:rock

·
254 Posts
Yates is deffinately the man.:bow

got to see him torture the pavement at barber saturday and sunday of the last round. lots of sliding on sunday:rock

·
I Bleed Blue
199 Posts
Yea Barber last sunday was a good race. Did you see how hard Yates was trying to catch up after he had problems with his bike. That dude is insane. I guess the worst part of that race was the fact that I hate Roberts and he won.
:machinegu ROBERTS

·
254 Posts
i haven't seen that video. post a link if you can.

and yeah roberts sucks, but he has matured a little more. at least now he doesn't crash everyone trying to get to the front.

·
The Yellow Peril
308 Posts
SlydeWayz said:
Just wondering what technique do you pros use to get slydewayz :
Forget knee down and simultaneously open the throttle and push down on the inside peg as you reach the apex. keep the throttle constant or use gradual alterations to maintain the slide. Never close the throttle if its getting too wild, but instead weight the outside peg and get the bike upright onto the fat part of the tyre.

Ballistic I know you dont agree with the footpeg weighting but it works for me.

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Managed to see McCoy spin the rear tyre in person at the GP 2 weeks ago..Looks cool on TV,looks absolutley INSAINE in real life..He may not be up thr front like he used to,but he's still the slide king:rock

·
The Yellow Peril
308 Posts
Ozzy_R1_demon said:
Managed to see McCoy spin the rear tyre in person at the GP 2 weeks ago..Looks cool on TV,looks absolutley INSAINE in real life..He may not be up thr front like he used to,but he's still the slide king:rock
Abso - ****ing - lutely! Lets hope he gets a ride next year 'cus I'd pay just to watch him doing his thing at the back.

·
It's all about Attitude
192 Posts
Re: Re: Power Sliding.

r1menace said:
Forget knee down and simultaneously open the throttle and push down on the inside peg as you reach the apex. keep the throttle constant or use gradual alterations to maintain the slide. Never close the throttle if its getting too wild, but instead weight the outside peg and get the bike upright onto the fat part of the tyre.

Ballistic I know you dont agree with the footpeg weighting but it works for me.

OK dude
So what is that is stopping the slide where you put your weight or tipping the bike up? You should read the CSvsBS thread where the boys go into Newtons second law. Unless you move your body and change the cg what peg the weight is on is irrelevant.
Balistic with one L please, Will

·
The Yellow Peril
308 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Power Sliding.

Balistic said:
OK dude
So what is that is stopping the slide where you put your weight or tipping the bike up? You should read the CSvsBS thread where the boys go into Newtons second law. Unless you move your body and change the cg what peg the weight is on is irrelevant.
Balistic with one L please, Will
Apologies Balistic.

Sorry but I'm no physics expert and struggle to understand technical definitiions. What I do understand is what I can feel from the bike and what works for me. If you see my history, I had a layoff from bikes for about five years because of cartilege problems in both knees. My return to bikes was done at a race school, just to see if I could cope with the contorted riding positions. Seeing all the R1, ZXR and GSXR pilots turn up for my session had me believing I was going to get seriously embarrassed. But it turned out I lapped all but one of them, though I 'd got back on to the arse end of him by the end of the session. The only relevance of this is to emphasise that I can ride a bike and am fortunate enough to have what some call a natural affinity with a bike. I know what the bike is doing but I'll struggle to put it into technical terms. Alas my age and budgets prevent me racing otherwise theres nothing I would rather be doing.

I see on the other thread that you queery why the front doesn't push when the inside peg is weighted. I think the front gets less inertia because of the extra speed of the back wheel making that react a lot sooner than the front will.

I don't think we'll ever agree on this weighting malarky, but if what you do works for you, all power to you. I know what I do works for me.

Good luck with the racing.

The Menace, (with 1 M)

·
It's all about Attitude
192 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Power Sliding.

r1menace said:
Apologies Balistic.
. Seeing all the R1, ZXR and GSXR pilots turn up for my session had me believing I was going to get seriously embarrassed. But it turned out I lapped all but one of them, though I 'd got back on to the arse end of him by the end of the session. The only relevance of this is to emphasise that I can ride a bike and am fortunate enough to have what some call a natural affinity with a bike. I know what the bike is doing but I'll struggle to put it into technical terms. Alas my age and budgets prevent me racing otherwise theres nothing I would rather be doing.
The Menace, (with 1 M)
OK Got it. I can belive budget but age, come on. If you can ride you should race. Go out in a class that has no money or glory bound teens and you will be fine. It's a hell of a lot safer than the street.
Will

·
The Yellow Peril
308 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Power Sliding.

Balistic said:
OK Got it. I can belive budget but age, come on. If you can ride you should race. Go out in a class that has no money or glory bound teens and you will be fine. It's a hell of a lot safer than the street.
Will
I'm sure you're right in the track being safer than the street. Alas I've two teenage daughters living with me, a huge mortgage, an ex wife and am having to save to make the new one an honest woman. On top of that my job doesn't have very socialable hours. I don't know what its like getting sponsorship in the states but here in the UK its more who you know not how good you are. Unless you're prepared to go out nicking other peoples bikes to support your way through the season and I don't subscribe to that school of thought. Still I'm hoping to hit the tracks next year with a vengence but I have to use the bike as a means of transport to work and back. Unless I get promoted theres really not much chance of going racing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi guys I think we are not talking about rear sliding.
It's all about two wheell sliding and coutersteering!!!!!
Think it's another thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is a really big difference between how you slide a bike comming into a corner and going out.

I'm no expert on backing it in so I'll leave that one alone.

I think to slide a bike comming out of a corner you have to aproach the limit of rear wheel traction VERY carefully (unless you happen to have skillz like Balistic:). Whacking the throttle while leaned over at the apex in any gear is a pretty good way to highside yourself into the next county. If you want to slide the rear tire you need to use good throttle control and roll on the gas slowly but aggressively until the rear wheel starts to spin.

The biggest thing to remember is to NOT chop the gas when the bike does slide.

That being said, sliding the rear tire is not something that should be taken lightly. Very few people actualy do it on purpose.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts