Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently started power wheelies because I heard bouncing it up is no good for the bike. It comes up quick in 1st gear, cant figure out 2nd yet. I can't hold it for too long and it comes down pretty hard. Today the front stay cracked, so that is like $100 dollar wheelie! Veteran riders give me some tips.....Thanks!!

R.I.P Evel Kneivel!!!!!!

· Registered
1,404 Posts
:stpd:

· My Mac eats your PC
159 Posts
I'm -1 and I actually prefer to power it up in first or second rather than clutching. Of course, I don't even clutch my dirt bike up. I've been powering them up since I was little and haven't really had a need for clutching them up. It may be wrong, may be right, but it works for me. In first I start off by cruising at a steady 6-7k and then crack the throttle nearly wide open quickly and let off when i hit the balance point. This happens real quick...like 1-3 seconds. Remember to pad the rear brake, especially in 1st gear. In fact, practice this in second...get to know the feeling of the front end getting light, get comfortable cracking into the throttle. I just listen to the engine, there is a is a happy engine note at the balance point. You'll find it.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, Racekid1000....I see you! Who else. Like I said I don't want to have to replace another front stay....

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
i guess im kinda scared to clutch it up.... from what i've heard it shoots up alot faster than it does if you just power them up...

· Have you killed a cat today ?
9,940 Posts
I recently started power wheelies because I heard bouncing it up is no good for the bike. It comes up quick in 1st gear, cant figure out 2nd yet. I can't hold it for too long and it comes down pretty hard. Today the front stay cracked, so that is like $100 dollar wheelie! Veteran riders give me some tips.....Thanks!!

R.I.P Evel Kneivel!!!!!!
I'm no veteran but I'll give my 2 cents:

I went +2 on back sprocket, 1st it comes up when I WOT it.

I would suggest 7K, give some throttle and slip the clutch. Do this sitting normally so you can get the feel.
Slide your weight back and do the same, it should come up a bit.

Now put your as way as far back as you can, grip the tank with your knees (will save your balls when you come down) and give a tug on the bar, it should come up easily. Don't hang with your arms - relax them, hold the tank with your legs and feet firmly on the pegs.

It's sh*t scary in the beginning, so if you snap of the throttle it's gonna come down hard (cracking your stay)

Go slowly off the throttle and ALWAYS cover your rear break, that will save you from flipping it.

The balance point comes with practice, practice and practice :fact

:fork Ride Safe and Respect the beast :rock

· I EAT SKYLINES!
2,163 Posts
Remember to pad the rear brake, especially in 1st gear.
:no

I hear this so often, and *so* strongly disagree with it.
1st gear has enough engine braking to bring the front down from just about anywhere (10, 11,14 oClock etc). If he keeps his foot on the back break and jumps on it in a panic after it goes past twelve he'll lock the back wheel and it's all down hill from there.

Just my $0.02, but then thats what forums are for.

Anyone care to comment?

9,940 Posts
:no

I hear this so often, and *so* strongly disagree with it.
1st gear has enough engine braking to bring the front down from just about anywhere (10, 11,14 oClock etc). If he keeps his foot on the back break and jumps on it in a panic after it goes past twelve he'll lock the back wheel and it's all down hill from there.

Just my $0.02, but then thats what forums are for.

Anyone care to comment?
:corn

This can debated forever but covering the brake has saved me a couple of times. If you fcuk up the throttle the brake is your back-up. You got a good point though, it would be good to get the general forum discussion on it.

We al have respect for the brakes, that is why even in reflex we squeeze the front and don't grab it. Same goes for a panic situation while covering the rear in a wheelie.

Engine braking cause the front to come down quicker than just slowly laying of the throttle while gently tapping the rear and then the front wheel makes a soft and a controlled landing.

In a couple of turn exits my nose picked up when I WOT it and I maintain the throttle posistion but lightly trail brake with my rear to bring the nose gently down whilst accelerating against the brake, works like a charm.

:rock

· I EAT SKYLINES!
2,163 Posts

This can debated forever but covering the brake has saved me a couple of times. If you fcuk up the throttle the brake is your back-up. You got a good point though, it would be good to get the general forum discussion on it.

We al have respect for the brakes, that is why even in reflex we squeeze the front and don't grab it. Same goes for a panic situation while covering the rear in a wheelie.

Engine braking cause the front to come down quicker than just slowly laying of the throttle while gently tapping the rear and then the front wheel makes a soft and a controlled landing.

In a couple of turn exits my nose picked up when I WOT it and I maintain the throttle posistion but lightly trail brake with my rear to bring the nose gently down whilst accelerating against the brake, works like a charm.

:rock

Nice technique! :rock

But I still think for a beginner (probably even new to riding entirely) he will instinctively cut the throttle regardless of a brake.

But you are right, horses for courses. Interesting none the less though. :)

Apologies for the thread-jacking! :sneaky

9,940 Posts
Nice technique! :rock

But I still think for a beginner (probably even new to riding entirely) he will instinctively cut the throttle regardless of a brake.

But you are right, horses for courses. Interesting none the less though. :)

Apologies for the thread-jacking! :sneaky
:thumbup

I agree 100% with you, and it is damn intresting, all the techniques and opinions out there.

In time every rider / racer figures out what works for him and his machine setup or limitations.

The Newbs tend to either WOT on the throttle or to close it as quickly, which causes tank slapping, nut cracking and broken suspension :scared

Smooth controls and respect the throttle !!! :bash

:fork Ride Safe and Respect the Beast :rock

:boobies Rule !!!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dieyoung69 and all the other fellas thanks for chipping in. All thoughts are appreciated. Now I'll try easing off the throttle and add in the brake, yeah before my basic instinct to get the front down was to close the throttle immediately.... Thanks a lot guys!!! By the way Dieyoung69 what does WOT mean??

9,940 Posts
:stpd:

Yup to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) :jump still :scared the sh*t out of me but there is no better feeling.

:thumbup

It's a pleasure bro, learn what you can from who you can and keep what works for you. You can apply this to life, not just riding.

Keep us posted on your progress and experiences, tell us what technique worked for you.

:fork Play Safe :rock

:boobies Rule !!!

· Jeckle
3,384 Posts
You must really be slammin it down. Have your balls hit the tank yet?
Shit I've done it just coming to a stop sign let alone sliding up on the tank at the track. Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :eek:

· Premium Member
610 Posts
what i do is give it a good amount of throttle then let off the gas and punch it hard. It just feels smoother when i do it that way, i guess its sorta pre-loading the suspension. Anyone here do it that way????

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.