Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One question, is there a difference between the 04,05,06 R1 when it comes to power?

Some dealers swear that the 04 is a dog compared to the 06, I've had the 05 but my experience says they wrong. What have you guys found?

Also they say the ECU limits the bikes performance seen as there was a change for 05 on the ignition curves, now if that is the case, won't a dynoject ignition box sort that? Hell, does the 05 harness/ECU fit the 04?

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
One question, is there a difference between the 04,05,06 R1 when it comes to power?

Some dealers swear that the 04 is a dog compared to the 06, I've had the 05 but my experience says they wrong. What have you guys found?

Also they say the ECU limits the bikes performance seen as there was a change for 05...now how can that be if you remap with a PCIII???
:thumbup

Not that much difference despite a bit more lower end torque, which the newer models make up for higher in the Tacho, they have pretty much the same setup in 2004 - 2006.

Run a search or I am sure someone with a similiar model will give you their two cents.

:rock Ride Safe :boobies

·
:)
140 Posts
The cylinder head on a 06 has shorter valve guides and is slightly optimized (ported) compared to a 04-05 head. Other than that, the engines for those 3 years are the same, as far as I know.

The 04 and 05 are identical in the hardware, don't know about the software (ECU).

I would love to know about the ECUs and thier restrictions.

·
I'm slow,but i may not be last
132 Posts
i'm sure there's slight diff in 16 valves(07 models) and 20 valves (04-06models)configeration.

·
Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been searching and calling around to the tuners...concensus is that the 04-05 are the same when it comes to making power, even if you have worked the motor. The 06 tends to make a bit more power, 07 totally different motor with regards to the head not being the Genesis 20valve.

The ECU's are different but what I don't know.:boobies ..dealer tells me ignition timing...

I also asked about the Dynojet Ignition module, tuners say for the R1, the gain is not worth the cash, very small.

What I wanna know is cam's, a ZX10 made 178rwhp compared to my 150rwhp, this at altitude. BUT, the ZX has some hot cams and is being used for drag racing. How in blue balls hell do you gain so much just by working the cams??:dundun:

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
04-06 is pratically the same bike, just a few minor changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.