Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting a PC-V & Autotune combo on my 06, anything to look out for? I'm reading reviews raving about the setup, and then others cursing it.

For those who are running it, what issues have you come across? Are you happy with the setup?

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,019 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting a PC-V & Autotune combo on my 06, anything to look out for? I'm reading reviews raving about the setup, and then others cursing it.

For those who are running it, what issues have you come across?
see below :fact

and then others cursing it.
:hammer:

in all seriousness.. proven results, time and again.. some folks hate the learning curve :dunno

lots of info here https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/10-appearance-mods/450994-dynojet-research-pod-300-digital-display.html

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,019 Posts
People who curse it are ignorant. I have Dyno results showing that my bike is spot on with the AFRs I set to tune for.
ignorant is a pretty big word, considering all it takes is a little reading on the subject.

i worked closely with Dusty when he was active on the forum, great bunch of guys down in Vegas,
i cannot recommend their products enough. :nerd: :partyguy:

i use the auto tune between my R1, my 1854cc v-twin and dad's trike..

its an exact science, whats not to like?. Slap on a bosch high bandwidth O2 sensor on
each bike and move the AT unit to each bike as required, takes 15 minutes :yesnod

i tune all my bikes, no appointment necessary :lol

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ignorant is a pretty big word, considering all it takes is a little reading on the subject.

i worked closely with Dusty when he was active on the forum, great bunch of guys down in Vegas,
i cannot recommend their products enough. :nerd: :partyguy:

i use the auto tune between my R1, my 1854cc v-twin and dad's trike..

its an exact science, whats not to like?. Slap on a bosch high bandwidth O2 sensor on
each bike and move the AT unit to each bike as required, takes 15 minutes :yesnod

i tune all my bikes, no appointment necessary :lol
Awesome - just what I was hoping to hear. I don't mind a bit of reading, and having the ability to take my tuning into my own hands is a huge bonus for me.

I've seen the Bosch O2 sensors for sale, they look identical to the O2 sensors which come with the Powercommander? Do I need to upgrade? Or is the sensor with the PC V good enough?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,019 Posts
I've seen the Bosch O2 sensors for sale, they look identical to the O2 sensors which come with the Powercommander? Do I need to upgrade? Or is the sensor with the PC V good enough?
same sensor, different wiring harness.. and bosch offers it with a longer wiring harness which is always good..

the AT unit is the exact same part :yesnod

do a search on here and you'll find a part number if you need a 'replacement'..

EPIC THREAD! Thanks mate, this really helps!!
happy to help.. i put a fair bit of thought into it and most posts have been edited for accuracy of info where possible.

most people that bitch about AT, never enabled advanced (per) gear mapping.. thats the KEY :fact

its only 'slow' in comparison to Dyno units which are a little more advanced so you need to touch an rpm / tps
'value box' 5 times b4 getting a proper reading / recommended fuel adjustment 'value'. This isnt very difficult
at all though as you ride.. Just dont expect to go out there n' ride around the block once and its tuned.. :no

you need to start with 'larger' adjustments and slowly narrow down to a tighter 'state of tune'.

the bonus of AT is it obviously takes into account RAM air, which is IMPOSSIBLE on a dyno :dunno

i've always thought its absolutely hilarious folks get a 4th gear roll on dyno and instantly think the bike just
magically makes that exact horsepower figure in every gear regardless of TPS value, AFR mixture etc. :lol

i've done an AFR log session while ONLY running my original 4th gear tune and 2nd / 3rd gear were pathetic..

Also, a bike with only 3k kms isnt gonna create the same horsepower over a specific RPM figure over its entire life time..
As others have found here even a valve adjustment will generally lead to different engine behavior / response, which
means you'll have to tune it again.

over the life of ownership an AT / PCV package will actually save you $$$ over dyno time;
your engine will thank you for it as it will be much cooler while its being tuned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts