Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Take The R1 Challenge
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to sell my R1 myself and would like people's experience with selling a bike and whether you granted test drives to the prospective buyers or not. I do not want someone taking my bike out and beating on it and then not buying it. How do you protect against that, but still allow the buyer to know its running condition? What are the insurance implications and how to protect the bike against damage AND how to protect myself from liability in case the prospective buyer wrecks on it and to protect myself from lawsuits if he does. Has anyone dealt with these issues and I would appreciate any suggestions or experiences. THANKS!!

·
running with scissors...
914 Posts
test ride....not a good idea. The last guy I let test ride a bike didn't intend to come back. As his friend started to angle to the car and leave I had to stop him....my bike came back down my drive way really slow, looking for his buddy....nope, no more test rides, that doesn't even count if the dork drops your bike.

If they really need a test ride, full amount in cash in my hand gets a test ride...no less. They bring the bike back in good shape and don't want it, I give the money back....

·
Take The R1 Challenge
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks....I surely like your way of doing it.....There is no way I trust anyone that I do not know. Thanks.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
As a cop I can tell you that theres no way in hell you should let someone test ride your bike unless you have a handfull of "CASH" ( US currency , No Pesos ). A quick story.......... Friend of mine is selling his track prepped civic. Guy shows up in a Lexus and parks it in my friends driveway. My bud figures " Hey he's leavin his Lex here so he's legit". Well , he lets dude take off on a test drive. Dude leaves ( It's about noon ) At around 330pm my bud calls the police after calling me and me calling him an idiot. The officers show up , run the plates on the Lexus and it's stolen out of Jacksonville ( Carjacked ). The civic was recovered on 95 North at about 730 after a lengthy pursuit through Jacksonville. If the person insists on a test ride then get ID, Cash and draw up a bill of sale . Without it you will be liable for any damage incurred as a result of any action of the bike. If the bike is already sold it's the responsibility of the buyer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts