Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now guys, i believe that most of u had finished the break in and had fun with ur 04R1.

Come, state ur findings on the 04R1.

Pros n Cons.

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
I wish I can answer you now... but mine is still in the middle of somewhere... :( plus there is still so much snow here... :cryin

Cons? :confused:

I though the R1 is "perfect"... :D

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
:lol I'm with Val. The R1 is perfect! :D

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
Pros;
Better ergos, brakes, lighter, feels like an R6, exhaust sound, smoother EFI, looks, etc...

Cons;
Tall first gear, hot seat, no space under pillion.

That's it. Of the four R1's I've owned, this one is by far the BEST!!

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
902 Posts
best so far...

The 04 is the best one so far, hands down. My only major complaint about it is that the bike encourages a very weight-forward position, which is fantastic for performance and incredible / immediate turn in (the bike is the most responsive front end on an R1 ever, and also the most composed) however the very-up-front weight/posture the bike makes the rider use I found to be kinda cramped up front, and my wrists felt fatigued a bit as a restult.

performance wise, the unit I rode wasn't broken in fully, but I could swear my 02 with PC3R and exhaust had a bit more midrange grunt than -04, but past about 7 grand the 04 is clearly WAY beyond the 02... and it might have been lower on the rev band, but I noticed the bike just wanted to RUN RUN RUN...

tough choice- all the 04's are awesome this year, however the R1 is I think the best its ever been and looks the hottest of the 04s as a whole.. a very hard bike to argue with

·
Registered
80 Posts
So far everything seems much improved.

The cons would be the cargo space under the seat and the lack of power between 3000-5000rpm. It is only 2000rpm but the gears are tall so it is noticeable.

Outside of that I am completely satisfied.

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
Re: best so far...

scud said:
The 04 is the best one so far, hands down. My only major complaint about it is that the bike encourages a very weight-forward position, which is fantastic for performance and incredible / immediate turn in (the bike is the most responsive front end on an R1 ever, and also the most composed) however the very-up-front weight/posture the bike makes the rider use I found to be kinda cramped up front, and my wrists felt fatigued a bit as a restult.
I guess this is just like the Kawi ZX-R636... my friend has one and he was always complaining about his wrists. Then we all took his bike for a ride and he was right about the weight to his wrist. But after couple of weeks, he found himself a position/way to ride it without any problem.

·
Anyone see a Honda I'm hungry
749 Posts
draco1 said:
So now guys, i believe that most of u had finished the break in and had fun with ur 04R1.

Come, state ur findings on the 04R1.

Pros n Cons.
The only con I can think of is the damn Laptimer . I guess they just said hell , we can put a stopwatch function in the display for nothing extra . No button on the bars makes it useless .
Other than that , this baby Rocks !

Pros:
Looks
Handeling
Power
Power
Power
Exhaust note
Smooth Fi
Great brakes
Steering damper works good
Good OEM tires for agressive riding
Power

·
Banned
9,594 Posts

scud said:

performance wise, the unit I rode wasn't broken in fully, but I could swear my 02 with PC3R and exhaust had a bit more midrange grunt than -04, but past about 7 grand the 04 is clearly WAY beyond the 02... and it might have been lower on the rev band, but I noticed the bike just wanted to RUN RUN RUN...

tough choice- all the 04's are awesome this year, however the R1 is I think the best its ever been and looks the hottest of the 04s as a whole.. a very hard bike to argue with
How short/tall are you? The position of the new '04 R1 should be more comfortable than the previous years.:fact

·
Life begins at 140
91 Posts
The only con (depending on how you look at it) is the power comes in at higher RPMS. I am used to ridding 750s, so for me this is no big deal. There also seems to be a dip on the torque curve. I do not feel it that much on the bike. This might be taken away with the removal of the EXUP :)

I think the bike is less committed than some of the others in the same class (gixxer and ZX10). Again, I have been riding Suzuki for a number of years. The riding position is more comfortable than the gixxer. I will admit that I was spoiled with the comfortable seat of the gixxer. But in the end, we do not buy this type of bike for riding comfort, right?

The handling of the bike and the stock tires seem to be terrific....

Short or tall, the bike seems to fit all.

I have only put a 100 miles on mine and have had a number of comments on the looks of the bike. Everyone I have run into thinks this is one of the best looking bikes out there (personally I love my silver :yesnod )

All and All, I am happy I bought it. NOW, if the weather would just cooperate :mad:

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
902 Posts
Re: Re: best so far...

I'm not gonna bother getting into another :fact war...

I'm 6'0" and 190 punds. I'm well aware that it SHOULD be more comfy... but it is not- your body is way more upfront- so I don't care about the elevation of the bars- my wrists were more comfy on my 02... I don't try to worry about why..I just report what I know I felt on the bike...

r1-superstar said:
How short/tall are you? The position of the new '04 R1 should be more comfortable than the previous years.:fact

·
Registered
71 Posts

scud said:
Isn't wrist fatigue a sign that you're holding on to tight or putting a lot of weight or grip on the handlebars?

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
Re: Re: Re: best so far...

scud said:

I'm 6'0" and 190 punds. I'm well aware that it SHOULD be more comfy... but it is not- your body is way more upfront- so I don't care about the elevation of the bars- my wrists were more comfy on my 02... I don't try to worry about why..I just report what I know I felt on the bike...
Just a simple question :dunno Chill man...:beer

You are one of the only ones that have complained about the riding position. I'm 6'-0" 170 lbs. The '04 is MUCH better than all the previous ones I've owned.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Re: Re: Re: best so far...

scud said:

Scud, I belive I know why you are having such a wrist problem on the 04. Yes, it is true that the 04 has a more upright riding position. But you are pretty tall, and combined with the more upright riding position, I would bet that your wrists have to be more hyper-extended to allow use of the levers. The 04 permits much less lever postioning options than my 00. I rotate the levers down to allow my wrists a straight shot to the grips when I am operating the clutch and front brake levers, and that is on the 00 which has a more aggressive riding position (which requires less lever downward repositioning than the more upright style of the 04), plus you are taller than I am, further aggrevating the condition.

So, despite the more upright riding style on the 04, the moer limited lever repositioning available on the 04 will make your wrists strain a lot more, without having to conclude that your technique is at fault. Check it out, I am pretty sure you will concur that this is the culprit.

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: best so far...

Eyespy said:
Scud, I belive I know why you are having such a wrist problem on the 04. Yes, it is true that the 04 has a more upright riding position. But you are pretty tall, and combined with the more upright riding position, I would bet that your wrists have to be more hyper-extended to allow use of the levers. The 04 permits much less lever postioning options than my 00. I rotate the levers down to allow my wrists a straight shot to the grips when I am operating the clutch and front brake levers, and that is on the 00 which has a more aggressive riding position (which requires less lever downward repositioning than the more upright style of the 04), plus you are taller than I am, further aggrevating the condition.

So, despite the more upright riding style on the 04, the moer limited lever repositioning available on the 04 will make your wrists strain a lot more, without having to conclude that your technique is at fault. Check it out, I am pretty sure you will concur that this is the culprit.
I will have to agree with eyespy here. I too rotate my levers down some. This will help to aleviate some uncomfortableness. The brake perch does not rotate as much due to the fact of the brake line hitting the fork tube. (Damn!)

But eyespy, I'm 6 foot and don't have a problem with the riding position. It seems to be better than the pre '04s.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Re: Re: best so far...

r1-superstar said:

I don't understand... This bike is much more comfortable than my 00' R1 was. My wrist feel great on the 04 and they did bother me on the 00' Maybe you haven't ridden an older R1 ??? The riding position is much much better on the 04 :2bitchsla

BTW 6'1" 200lbs

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
As far as Pro's and Con's, my .02

Pro's

1. Improved riding position - seat is a little stiff but a Corbon seat will fix this.
2. Increased power - love the third gear power wheelies:rock
3. Look's - doesn't get much better.....
4. Ram air
5. Narrower frame
6. Love the red color
7. Better brakes
8. FI is awesome.....
9. Blue dash is cool.
10. Many more

Con's

1. No storage under seat
2. I'm gonna get some tickets
3. Tafffic school for above if not jail time
4. Don't have enough time to ride
5. Bug's get on the front of bike when riding
6. Tall first gear- but new front sproket will fix this.
7. Girlfiend misses me??? Wait that a Pro - move to above.
8. I get my new pipe tonight and have to go do a dyno run?? wait move that to above also .....
:rock :rock You get the idea

1 - 20 of 35 Posts