Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have a 2007 R1 which has developed a bit of an issue lately. For info, the bike starts fine, idles fine, and generally runs as it should. It will climb through the RPM range fine, and has all the power it every had. The ECU has a race tune, which it's had for 3 years now without issue.

The problem occurs when the bike is warm. Around 85 degrees or more. When it's this hot, and I'm cruising around 5K RPM (in any gear), the RPM's will stay at this RPM even if I let off the throttle. It will stay here for a few seconds, then will slowly start climbing down. If I cruise around 5K RPM, then cut the throttle and pull the clutch in, the RPM's will climb to around 6-7K RPM for the time I'm shifting. If I hold the clutch in, the RPM's start dropping after a few seconds. The problem does not seem occur in neutral.

The bike has never done this before. I've tried adjusting the TPS sensors and cleaning the throttle bodies however this has not helped The TPS diagnostics checks show the number climbing steadily as I twist the throttle, and go back to the start when I let go of the throttle, so all appears normal here. Both TPS sensors were change 3 years ago. I checked for air leaks around the intake boots, etc. using brake cleaner. There was no flutter. Recently I cleaned the K&N Air filter as well.

I'm truly stumped here and I sincerely hope someone else has encountered something similar and can offer some input.

Thank you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Anything? There’s gotta be something here. I’ll take any possible theories at this point!

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,045 Posts
How many miles? Valves ever been adjusted? Sure it isn't just in second gear (throttle lag in second is a known issue, I think there was a recall on the ecu)? I've been following this thread, but I have refrained from commenting because I've been waiting for others to chime in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles? Valves ever been adjusted? Sure it isn't just in second gear (throttle lag in second is a known issue, I think there was a recall on the ecu)? I've been following this thread, but I have refrained from commenting because I've been waiting for others to chime in.
It’s got 50,000 kilometres. Valves were adjusted about 3k ago.
Im almost positive it’s done it in other gears, but I can try it out and confirm.
When you say throttle lag that sounds like the opposite issue that I’m having though?
I do appreciate your input and sincerely hope others will chime in. No idea is a bad idea at this point! Lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the throttle bodies get synced after the valve adjustment?
I don’t believe they were, however given the valve adjustment was so long ago and the bike had been operating fine from them to now I didn’t think this could be an issue?

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,045 Posts
3k kilometers is not that much saddle time. You're the one riding it, so you'd know better than I, but, you may not have noticed before now. Hard for me to tell from here though.

I'd start with a throttle body sync, but that's just me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3k kilometers is not that much saddle time. You're the one riding it, so you'd know better than I, but, you may not have noticed before now. Hard for me to tell from here though.

I'd start with a throttle body sync, but that's just me.
I will definitely keep this in mind, but this was definitely not a problem last season. The bike was away for the winter here in Canada, and was even fine earlier this season. This is definitely a new problem. I always cruise around the 5000 rpm mark, so I definitely would’ve noticed a rev bomb to 7-8k rpms when shifting.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Of course I cannot help with a fuel injected issue but could/can add that any motorcycle worth putting fuel in its’ tank, is a motorcycle worth throwing away it’s K&N air filter. Pure junk. Whoever tells you otherwise is lying to your face!
Buy yourself a stock air filter and install it and do your engine a favor

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For anyone who may still be following... Is there anyway the clutch (or one of its components) could be to blame for my issue? Today I went out for a ride, and realized the issue does happen in every gear. While riding, if I played with the clutch handle adjustment, it seemed to alter how the bike responded. It seems as though if the clutch cable is tighter, the problem is less pronounced. My theory (I'm by no means an expert) is that whatever clutch problem this is, it's causing the real wheel not to disconnect from the engine, which is causing the RPM's to stay high/crawl higher when pulling in the clutch while riding at a constant RPM, since the wheel is pushing the engine at that point. I feel like this would explain why the issue doesn't happen under hard acceleration but does when holding the RPM's at a constant and then clutching in?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anything is possible, it's certainly worth exploring the clutch.
I know a few things about a lot of bike parts. Clutches aren't one of them though. I've never had to do one. While I don't mind ripping it apart and having a look, I'm just not sure what I'm looking for. For instance is this a problem with worn plates, bag springs, bad basket? Where do I even start?

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,045 Posts
I'd measure the plates and I'd look for notching on the clutch and basket if it were me. I'd also look for discoloration and I'd see if the plates were warped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd measure the plates and I'd look for notching on the clutch and basket if it were me. I'd also look for discoloration and I'd see if the plates were warped.
Awesome thanks. At this point, with 50,000 K on the bike, I believe it's the original clutch. I also haven't been the nciest to it since I've had it, so it would make sense. Although it doesn't slip at all while accelerating...

·
[ Premium Member ]
102 Posts
Maybe the basket is notched. Hard to tell from here bud. Good luck. Hopefully it's something simple.
Ok sounds like it might be the clutch, as you adjusted it and it changed things. Fact that it happens in every gear also points to the clutch. On my 07 I replaced the clutch 3 times, bike finally went boom at 85,000km as oil pump gave up. I rode this bike hard! The clutch is a bit of a weak point, not only the plates etc. but the basket, boss and slipper springs. I had to replace all of that too. The boss has 3 rivet like joins where it fails, and then the clutch starts acting up, so pull off the cover and pull the plates and look for cracks in the boss. Also, the slipper springs (3) also snapp off. On mine the clutch would slip (2 out of 3 fixes) and on the 3rd fix the lever got hard as hell with slip, this was the boss replacement (fix 3 of 3).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok sounds like it might be the clutch, as you adjusted it and it changed things. Fact that it happens in every gear also points to the clutch. On my 07 I replaced the clutch 3 times, bike finally went boom at 85,000km as oil pump gave up. I rode this bike hard! The clutch is a bit of a weak point, not only the plates etc. but the basket, boss and slipper springs. I had to replace all of that too. The boss has 3 rivet like joins where it fails, and then the clutch starts acting up, so pull off the cover and pull the plates and look for cracks in the boss. Also, the slipper springs (3) also snapp off. On mine the clutch would slip (2 out of 3 fixes) and on the 3rd fix the lever got hard as hell with slip, this was the boss replacement (fix 3 of 3).
awesome thanks for this! Since you’ve been through it, any recommendations as to the best replacement? OEM or one of the aftermarkets?

·
[ Premium Member ]
102 Posts
awesome thanks for this! Since you’ve been through it, any recommendations as to the best replacement? OEM or one of the aftermarkets?
Pleasure, no guarantee its the clutch but it is worth a check. Just be careful when putting the cover back on, it can be a hassle to hook the clutch actuator up correctly. In terms of clutch parts, I would stay OEM. You can play around with springs depending on what you want, but OEM worked for me. The OEM clutch items also come pre-oiled if I remember correctly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts