Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Nevermore
I have black and they still look as good as day one.

Nevermore
Never knew that. Nice to know.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
Hey dark horse. I have purple titanium rotor bolts on my bike and they do fade over time especially if exposed to a lot of sun
Thank you. Just trying to find out if the gold finish fades the same.

They state in their website that for Aluminium parts, black and gold are durable.

But for Titanium parts, only black is durable.

Crazy thing is that I have a gold Ti bolt on my RCS and it hasn鈥檛 faded at all.

Registered
I spent a fortune on these ti bolts from pro bolt and if I had to do it again I would buy stainless for sure. They won鈥檛 fade and they are a hell of a lot cheaper. I was starting to be friends with the guy from pro bolt because I called him so much. I actually got a free bolt checker from him for the amount I spent there.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
T
I spent a fortune on these ti bolts from pro bolt and if I had to do it again I would buy stainless for sure. They won鈥檛 fade and they are a hell of a lot cheaper. I was starting to be friends with the guy from pro bolt because I called him so much. I actually got a free bolt checker from him for the amount I spent there.

To be honest, and I鈥檓 not trying to burst your bubble, but a lot of people get that measurement from him.

I鈥檒l probably just do raw Ti like I did on most everything else.

Unacceptable
They specifically state that the black coating is the most durable.
That's because their black finish is actually DLC, not anodizing. My MT has some black-finished Pro-Bolt ti fasteners and I'm keen on how well they'll hold out over time.

Registered
It also depends if they are sealed or sealed right. I just took some parts to be anodized. And I showed them my front forks that I had anodized red , but faded much faster and the other stuff I had anodized red. They explained that the forks weren't sealed right!

kickin' at the darkness
late to the thread. yep very common for anodizing to fade, probably the very reason they use
Diamond-Like Coating for black is because no matter how hard some companies try, black
anodizing turns a shitty purple or similar color over time.

topic has been discussed locally several times.

DLC Coating:
The hardness of DLC coatings is the foundation for their benefits. DLC in all forms is extremely hard. Depending on which form is applied, DLC is as hard, or even harder, than natural diamond.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts