Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the last couple of days out of town with the 04 R1 in tow, in order to allow the bike to be used for prototyping for a complete frame slider kit and for a clear film protection kit.

The first day was spent in Lake Forrest meeting with Jeff Russell of IRP (Intuitive Race Products) to prototype the IRP slider kits for the 04 R1. Most of them require new designs, but the clutch slider is the same. Also, the swing arm sliders/spools from a different model also work well, so I left with a set of those three. In the works are left and right frame sliders (Street and Race versions), bar-end sliders, left swing arm pivot slider, and left and right front axle sliders/spools.

I spent the second day in Escondido meeting with Lucas at TankSlapper to design the 04 R1 TankSlapper and 3M protective film kits. We came up with a 4 piece tank system with a rear section, left and right sections, and a chin-well section for the top of the air box cover. Also, headlight covers, a 4 piece front "V" panel kit, and 2 pieces for the lower parts of the front fender that cover the fork tubes. Also, 4 pieces for the lower fairing panels (2 on either side). Finally, a 2 piece protective film for the front cowling and nose of the bike.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wow that's impressive. How did you work that out? Do you work for them or did you call them to test it on your bike etc? You certainly are a wealth of information.

Fill us in :)

·
R1-Forum
1,628 Posts
Eyespy:
Speaking of sliders, I too am prototyping 04' Harris sliders; I'll post pictures later this week. (The new mounting hardware just arrived and I haven't had time to complete my analysis.)

New stuff is always fun (my pre-production Puig screen is also in-route, ultimately reporting on fitment issues prior to full production). Also, RG Racing just sent over clutch and left side frame protectors, information/pictures is too follow shortly (BTW, the Harris clutch slider fits without modification)

I am interested in IRP's axle sliders, I've tried a couple of designs, including a couple of one-off custom peices without much success; let me know how the results turn out.

Thanks!

·
ShInYSiDe <VS> RuBBeRSiDe
1,334 Posts
and so.. now what?? Can we have a look at em'?

Price for the 3M?? Sounds good.. all the spots that I hated to see sandblasted on my 02 R1.

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yammiebender;

What was it you wanted to see, the sliders? According to thetankslapper.bz website, the total protection kits are priced at $44.95. That will be the TankSlapper material. For the 3M, the cost would be higher, maybe more like $70, because of the additional expense of the 3M urethane material as compared to the TankSlapper static film. email or call Lucas for an exact price quote.

·
1,334 Posts
hey thanks for the quick reply.. So the static film.. would be obviously less durable than the 3M correct?

Also... how many pieces are in that kit.. The 3M one that is???
Finally.. Have you seen the finished product yourself?? It MUST deplete the shine of the bike something fierce no?

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yammiebender said:
hey thanks for the quick reply.. So the static film.. would be obviously less durable than the 3M correct?

Also... how many pieces are in that kit.. The 3M one that is???
Finally.. Have you seen the finished product yourself?? It MUST deplete the shine of the bike something fierce no?
The 3M is more durable. Yes I have seen the kit, I helped to develop it with the owner of TankSlapper, and it is currently fitted to my bike. I described the exact number of pieces in the kit and their location in the opening post.

The film is virtually invisible, and does not decrease the shine of the painted fairing or tank surfaces. You have to look quite closely to see that the clear urethane film is there. It adds additional gloss to the black center "V" section which is aesthetically pleasing IMO. The headlight covers do decrease the high-gloss look of the headlight lenses, but this may become less apparent as the microscopic water film between the adhesive surface of the 3M urethane film and the headlights evaporates (the clear film is porous and the water will cross the material and evaporate, causing the urethane film to draw even tighter/closer against the surface it is applied to. The decreased luster of the headlights is offset by the fact that they will be protected against getting ruined by rock chips. Later on, you can peel off the urethane, and the headlights will still be in perfect condition.

·
1,334 Posts
Roger that... I'm looking at investing in that.. Let me tell you boys.. The price of ONE of those lights to replace alone.. FAR exceeds the measly cost of that 3M package. And if Eyespy says it's been develpoed in part by him.. then hey.. I'm gonna take his word for it.(just this once however :))

And I can order this at thetankslapper.bz ???

Thanks Eyespy!

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yammiebender said:
Roger that... I'm looking at investing in that.. Let me tell you boys.. The price of ONE of those lights to replace alone.. FAR exceeds the measly cost of that 3M package. And if Eyespy says it's been develpoed in part by him.. then hey.. I'm gonna take his word for it.(just this once however :))

And I can order this at thetankslapper.bz ???

Thanks Eyespy!
You're welcome. You can order the ptotection kits from thetankslapper.bz:

http://www.thetankslapper.biz/cgi-l...PK.html?L+scstore+kxlf4192ff859785+1089146083

but that is the TanlSlapper clear static film. If you want the additional durability of the 3M urethane version of the kit, or some in the static film and some in the 3M, you'll need to contact Lucas directly and place your order that way. Either email or call him. There will be an additional cost for the 3M, but it's not too much more.

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 760-739-0100

Tell Lucas I referred you from the R1 Forum.

·
No, you can't ride it
604 Posts
I ordered my tank kit yesterday. I got the 3M tank kit for $32 shipped.:D

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jonnyblayz said:
I ordered my tank kit yesterday. I got the 3M tank kit for $32 shipped.:D
Too bad I don't get any commisions, LOL. I'll hafta speak to Lucas about that. LMAO.

You could always add the other parts of the complete protection kit later, but it's better to put it on before you get rock chips from normal use.

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
meretrix said:
Wow that's impressive. How did you work that out? Do you work for them or did you call them to test it on your bike etc? You certainly are a wealth of information.

Fill us in :)
Thanks meretrix. I don't work for them nor do I recieve any consideration from them. Just have a lot of contacts in the industry.

·
your mom looks hot
121 Posts
i had lucas' kit for my RC51 back when he started his business a few years ago. funny thing, he never really intended to start a business for motos, it just sorta happened back when the RC51 was the new big thing. his stuff is great and he's a cool guy. i just bought the R1 kit for my new silver baby. SCHWEET!!

:beer

:thumbup

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
So what do you think about sliders? Is it probably best to hang on and see what comes out later?

·
1,334 Posts
ya.. I want to oder the 3M set.. I emailed him today.. and am waiting to hear from him so I can finalize the payment/shipping to Canada.. (It's a bitch)
Thanks Eye ;)

·
1,334 Posts
no email yet back from Lucas.... Damn.. Hope he got my email. Cant oder without talking to him first...

and Eyespay.. just to be 100% sure.. YOU HAVE the 3M protection package package.. and not the thinner version?

Why did you go with the 3M? Do you think that the other one would honestly be sufficient in your opinion.. or would YOU RECCOMEND the 3M one only.

Be honest please..
thanks Eyespy...

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the complete 3M kit. I perfer this one because of the better adherence to the bike surfaces and increased durability compared to the vinyl TankSlapper material. For most applications, though, the vinyl is fine. I used to have the vinyl tank protection kit on my 2000 R1 track bike, but they eventually loosen or wrinkle a little from all the shearing of my leathers against the tank shifting body position around on the race track, so I just switched it over to the 3M.

·
1,334 Posts
roger that....
thanks for your honest opinion..
3M it is...

NOW.. if only I could talk to them!

You discuss a price give or take with them?? Curious to see if you can quote me ROUGHLY what I'm looking at to get one of the whole sets of 3M...

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 3M protection kits, as I indicated above, is a bit more than the Tankslapper vinyl kit. I don't know the exact price, but it might be in the $70 range. Let me know what you find out when Lucas responds.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Eyespy said:
The 3M protection kits, as I indicated above, is a bit more than the Tankslapper vinyl kit. I don't know the exact price, but it might be in the $70 range. Let me know what you find out when Lucas responds.
Hey EyeSpy,

Just noticed your somewhat local. Maybe we can meet so I can take a look in person.

Also, with the urethane 3M kit, it is adhesive, and thicker (by a few mils) than the other option, so I would imagine it would be a little bit tougher to get a nice smooth finish without air bubbles, and get good adhesion to the many contours. :dunno

What happens when it comes time to wash your bike? For the adhesive version, maybe not much of a big deal as long as you take it easy along the covered areas, but what if you have the thinner version on the tank? Isn't it water activated to create the adhesion?

I think you mentioned something about the thinner version on the tank to not be such a good idea due to the friction of leathers against the tank causing some chaffing or something to that extent. Is the urethane 3M working out better for you? No peeling? No bubbles? OK being left out in the San Diego sun all day?

:dunno

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts