Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4um ModR8r
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sort of an oxymoron eh?

I'm headed out of country in 2 weeks for a 5 week stint in Romania, then off 2 weeks and back to Romania for five more weeks. More than likely a 3rd trip will be in order.

Obviously I'll need to manage my finances, bill pay, banking and that sort of stuff but I don't want to do it over public WiFi. I can't afford a hardware VPN at home but I have read that services like GoToMyPC are safe and secure. That is, I install GoToMyPC host on my home desktop, leave it running and access it via public WiFi with my laptop. What say you IT gurus? Eric, Tony???

I'm very familiar with GoToMyPC as we use it at work to access client's workstations that don't have VPN. I don't mind paying for it if it's somewhat secure.

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,499 Posts
Have you looked into LogMeIn or their free VPN product Hitachi? I have it configured with another proxy client to use my office workstation's browser to connect to my internet connection at home for secure browsing... You can always RDP into your home computer if you have it setup on your firewall (allow 3389 or randomize the port to be even more secure)

Plenty of ways to skin this cat for free, and over public WiFi... Goodluck! :thumbup

·
4um ModR8r
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked into LogMeIn or their free VPN product Hitachi? I have it configured with another proxy client to use my office workstation's browser to connect to my internet connection at home for secure browsing... You can always RDP into your home computer if you have it setup on your firewall (allow 3389 or randomize the port to be even more secure)

Plenty of ways to skin this cat for free, and over public WiFi... Goodluck! :thumbup
No, I haven't looked at LogMeIn, but I will. Thanks for the tip dude. :thumbup

I like skinnin' free cats. :D

Dang,,,, I didn't think of RDP. Nice catch.

·
4um ModR8r
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,968 Posts
Sort of an oxymoron eh?

I'm headed out of country in 2 weeks for a 5 week stint in Romania, then off 2 weeks and back to Romania for five more weeks. More than likely a 3rd trip will be in order.
Good luck Ben! Make sure to get some good pictures of those beautiful Romanian women. :boobies

·
4um ModR8r
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are also teamviewer apps available for Android smartphones/tablets (and I assume iOS as well)
Yep, iOS is supported. I compared and researched TeamViewer and LogMeIn today. TeamViewer is free for non-commercial use. LogMeIn has a freeware version but doesn't support file transfer. Most every comparison I read was in favor for TeamViewer. I decided to go with it.

I have the host set up on my home desktop and client set up on my personal laptop. She-bang, no problems and I'm sorta surprised at how fast it updates. I'm comfortable enough now to install on my new work laptop.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :thumbup

·
4um ModR8r
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And again, thanks for the suggestions. I'm in Bucharest now and just hit up my home PC. No sweat, not a problem and I do believe TeamViewer is faster than PCAnywhere. Must have an R1 engine in it. ;)

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,599 Posts
Kind of late to the party. But, there's also Proxy and VPN products such as HideMyAss and others if you don't want to connect to your computer at home. But, need to be careful with some of these, as there are many proxy server companies out there that aren't on the up and up. You want to encrypt all communication to/from your computer in these environments.

Be careful with common protocols such as RDP, SSH, HTTP, etc. on your home network when you open these ports to the outside. These are very common ports that are targeted by bots, script kiddies and other crackers/hackers. If you're planning to use one of them, change it to a completely different uncommon port and really lock your external facing system down. Also, be sure to setup heavy logging, and put a script on your system to temporarily shut down access any time you get a certain number of failures in a short period of time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts