Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
bleedin' blue
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So pulling up the front wheel on the FJR is pretty simple; it's a big stable bike and the seating position facilitates just bringing the front up to your chest.

I've had the R1 for 3 weeks tomorrow and have just began to feel as though the suspension is becoming dialed in. Setting the static rear sag, tweaking the front pre and comp, adding the power commander, those all helped but it's still not quite there. I think that the rear is good but the front still doesn't quite hold tighter corner lines.

Anyway, the last week or so then I've gotten on the throttle a bit more aggressively, but with that tall first gear, even with the power commander richening that area up, the front barely came up. I'll easily admit that this bike puts a bit of fear into me, and it kept me from just whacking it WFO.

This afternoon we were out riding. We started out one time on a straight, him in first and staying there, so this time I just stayed in first with the throttle ~2/3 open up to 8K or so r's, and then just rolled on a bit more as she moved through 10K. The front just came up, all on it's own, about a foot. Stayed with that for a couple of seconds and then set it down as the revs climbed to shift into second.

A bit later I tried it again, just a bit more aggressively at the rollon after 8K, and the front came right up into my stomach/chest. Rode that one for a few seconds.

woo.....too much fun....can't wait to get out in the morning.
yes, i wear full gear. no, i'm not a squid. yes, i'm a bit of a hooligan, maybe, i suppose, but really am pretty responsible.
really, it's all her fault. oh, please don't take her away, no, i drove her to it, it was my hand, take my hand, i'll get another one, but leave my ONE.

heh...ride safe!

·
You think you can keep up?!
652 Posts
Sound like you are in love! :sneaky

·
brian (bam)
1,494 Posts
are you talking in your sleep? cuz im not really sure you have a point.
yes we know its fun ..have a good time with your 04....

·
bleedin' blue
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, just stoked on the bike overall (despite the fact that it's barely usable on the street while maintaining legal conformity) and actually lofting the front wheel decently.

That's a sweet clip, thanks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean about the bike. I was in a full tuck and pinned the throttle and as soon as I hit 8k the front end started to come up. I love it.:rock

·
Anyone see a Honda I'm hungry
749 Posts
Calm down now Bluesurf . It's OK :lol

Actually I think it is a lot easier to loop the FJR in 1st with all that tq . I never do 1st gears on it anymore . The r1 comes up nice and slow it seems and I can stay in the throttle much longer without getting nervous it seems . I'm no wheelie king but it is fun .
2nd gear wheelies on the FJR with the bags on and the wife back there are cool when a sportbike tries to showoff at lights . They are like"was that a goldwing that went by me on one whell just now ?? ":hellobye

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
lets see, front comes up in 1st gear.... A remarkable discovery!!!!!!!!

:lol

glad you like your bike

·
Beeeeeer!
9,542 Posts
Hell, I'm whacking it now.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

·
Jaw Droppin' Stunts
124 Posts
dont do wheelies in first, so choppy, try 2nd more smoother... and bounce the front end using your legs as shocks...

·
bleedin' blue
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Prophet said:
dont do wheelies in first, so choppy, try 2nd more smoother... and bounce the front end using your legs as shocks...
Nothing choppy about the couple good ones that I've done, perhaps that has to do with the taller first gear on the '04.

I'll try 2nd gear wheelies one of these years.

·
Registered
261 Posts
dairyman said:
r u serious u cn t get a thrid gear wheelie with the new r wheezy give it a little juice
I only tried it once. Like I said my timing was probally off. Plus living in Colorado effects the power of the bike, and like I said I can easily power it up in 2nd. If I try it a couple of times I am pretty sure I will be able to bounce it up in 3rd, but I will have to be going pretty fast, so I will just stick to 2nd.

·
My RR tempts me
654 Posts
Just rolling into WOT in third gear will bring the front wheel off the ground right, no bouncing needed. That was the impression of power that I thought the '04's had

·
Registered
261 Posts
Landshark92 said:
Just rolling into WOT in third gear will bring the front wheel off the ground right, no bouncing needed. That was the impression of power that I thought the '04's had
I don't know about everybody else's bike and at different altitudes, but rolling into WOT will not bring the front end up. Could just be my bike or alititude though.

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,588 Posts
Jsears8 said:
what the highest gear you can power it up on the 04?
i've heard 4th gear in a review.... don't know personly

·
Registered
261 Posts
XShogunR1X said:
i've heard 4th gear in a review.... don't know personly
I really don't think so. Maybe if modified some but bone stock I really don't think so. Any other 04 owners out there have an input on this. Just power it up in 4th??

·
bleedin' blue
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Landshark92 said:
just curious where that impression came from. It certainly might be true, but I'm a curious sort of person :D and have read too many mags, etc., about this bike. :fact

1 - 20 of 28 Posts