Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bulldogger
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know some of you guys on here are pretty good dog trainers. right now we are crate training our 12 week old bulldog. this is the second day he has lived with us. he doesn't poop in the house at all, so that is half of the equation. what are some good books on crate training?

right now we have him in the kitchen with a baby gate on the entrance. his cage is also in there. his food and water are on the floor. he peed once in his crate, but i think that was because of the blanket i had in there. threw it out and now he just has toys. he hasn't peed in it since. he has made a habit of peeing in the same spot if we leave him out of the cage and in the kitchen. if we walk away and leave him for a minute he will pee right by the gate in the same spot. how can i get him to stop this? i take him out like 5 times a day and he pees til he can't go anymore. then we get back and it is almost like he saved some for the kitchen.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Luke

·
Not having a R1 sucks
471 Posts
Luckydevil said:
i know some of you guys on here are pretty good dog trainers. right now we are crate training our 12 week old bulldog. this is the second day he has lived with us. he doesn't poop in the house at all, so that is half of the equation. what are some good books on crate training?

right now we have him in the kitchen with a baby gate on the entrance. his cage is also in there. his food and water are on the floor. he peed once in his crate, but i think that was because of the blanket i had in there. threw it out and now he just has toys. he hasn't peed in it since. he has made a habit of peeing in the same spot if we leave him out of the cage and in the kitchen. if we walk away and leave him for a minute he will pee right by the gate in the same spot. how can i get him to stop this? i take him out like 5 times a day and he pees til he can't go anymore. then we get back and it is almost like he saved some for the kitchen.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Luke
Hey Luke - Congrats on your pup. I am def. no trainer but I just went through housetraining with my pup. Most dogs wont pee in their crates. If your pup does, make sure you clean him and the crate immediately. You want your dog to despise being dirty (covered in his own urine.)
Get some Nature's Miracle if you dont already have some. Dont use 409 or other ammonia based products as it will make your carpets/flooring smell like piss.
Here is when I would walk Dexter when I was training him: Every time he woke up, right after eating and/or drinking, anytime he sniffed the carpeting. I definetely walked him more than 5 times a day.
After a while, I began to give him water, then put him immediately in his kennel for a half hour or so. Then take him out to piss. Then do it for an hour, etc.
If Dex would start to pee inside, my girl would do a couple diff things to make him stop. She would lift his front legs off the ground (I have no idea why he stopped pissing) or she would put him in his kennel (he very rarely peed in his kennel.)
It is something that takes time. Your pup will make a lot of progress, then out of nowhere will unleash a torential piss inside. It wont happen overnight, but you will see improvements. G'luck.:hellobye

·
Bulldogger
5,880 Posts
I took my bully hog outside immediately after she woke up, ate, or drank water to a spot on the grass I wanted her to go in the back yard. Believe me you won't wait long for them to go when they are pups after any of these three events take place. We kept ours in a baby playpen. Any time we had here out of her play pen and she started to squat, we would reinforce the word no, and promply take her outside to the grass. Took about a week and she figured out what we wanted. About another two weeks before she really caught on consistantly. We have all ceramic tile in the main living areas of our house so small accidents weren't so bad to clean up while she was learning. They learn so quick after the first week or so mine started going to the door to get outside to relieve herself. Took a couple months before she had the bladder control to hold it all night. Shes 100% house dog and we have no problems whatsoever ;)
Good Luck

Pic 15 weeks

Attachments

·
Run like an animal
8,646 Posts
Re: Re: puppy potty training questions...

Your pup will make a lot of progress, then out of nowhere will unleash a torential piss inside. It wont happen overnight, but you will see improvements. G'luck.:hellobye

Ha - good to know I'm not alone...my puppy will do wonderfully for a week and then have a total relapse. It's frustrating but part of 'growing up' I guess.

PetZyme works pretty well for me - I'll have to try the Nature's Miracle.

Thanks for sharing Twine...

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
and be sure to praise/reward whenever your dog DOES go outside...

·
too old to care
666 Posts
you're headed the right direction with the crate training. I've trained my own , and friend's labs as well , among other breeds. The advice about taking the pup outside as soon as he finishes eating / drinking is a good idea as well , keep up the good work!

p.s. if all else fails , after he's old enough and his balls drop , if he pisses in the floor , mash his face into it while simotaneously flicking his nuts , one by one , then throw his ass outside.

ok , don't do that , just kidding LMFAO

·
I like beer
1,799 Posts
I would say that 5 times a day isn't enough. At only 12 weeks old, he probably needs to be going out every 2 or 3 hours, but especially right after he eats and drinks. My lab was real good, he started asking to go out to pee within the first 2 or 3 days I had him, but if he was home alone for more than a few hours he just couldn't hold it. He was probably close to 5 or 6 months old before I knew I could leave him home all day without an accident. Crate training helps, but I'm of the opinion that when they are that young you can't expect them to hold it for more than an hour or 2 with or without a crate.

·
Not having a R1 sucks
471 Posts
Re: Re: Re: puppy potty training questions...

NOTORIOUSKIM said:
Ha - good to know I'm not alone...my puppy will do wonderfully for a week and then have a total relapse. It's frustrating but part of 'growing up' I guess.
Thanks for sharing Twine...
Hahaha, tell me about it. I would brag to my gf about how quick Dex was learning, then two seconds later he would pee like a race horse inside, lol. G'luck Kim.
VinR1- Good point. When Dex would go outside, I would do a dance of joy and let him know how happy I was (combined with a treat.)

·
Bulldogger
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, i agree he just can't hold it that long. i was actually considering litter box training him for the first 6 months just to keep him from peeing everywhere if the wife and i happen to be gone for a few hours. any thoughts on this?

·
I like beer
1,799 Posts
No just make a spot for him where it is ok for him to go (like where there is no carpet) using newspapers or something. As he can hold it longer you can take them away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts