Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'd like 2 say that this site rocks and hopefully will stay rock'n. Secondly, I would like 2 wish every1 a Happy New Year, and thirdly, I have a purchasing ? Here r my 2 choices; what would u recommend? I have 2 r1s that i've been lookin 2 buy next week, dunno which 1 yet, here r the specs, u tell me? 1999 3000miles, MIG high mount, scott dampner, eliminator kit, single seat cowl, flush monted front/rear turn signals, carbon fiber tree cover, arai helmet $8500USD OR 2000r1 2800miles, BONE STOCK, $7000USD, any thoughts :hellobye

·
:)
387 Posts
just my opinion...... virtually the same mileage, i would get the 2000 and save the $1,500 to dress it as you like. from my experiences, generally a bike that is loaded with aftermarket items, has been ridden harder than a stock bike. i know this isn't always the case, but something to consider. also, i'm not sure of the specifics, but i believe the R1 changed fairing or head piece design between '99 and '00. others will have more input than me. good luck......

8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thax 4 the input todd, u made a good point, but if i could dress it up my way, i think i would do the same, MIG xhaust looks kick ass and sounds awesome, especially when it gargles, and the scott's damp is 1st on the R1 list , Do you think the price is fair 4 what they are asking, remember, we r in USA, dunno why bikes r so much cheaper in europe?:cool:

·
:)
387 Posts
i guess the good thing about the '99 then is that it is ready to go. i guess the main thing now is just the body style and decals. someone else will know the specifics of this. i'm still a little new. i just bought my first R1 about a month ago. '00 blue with 270 miles on it. i haven't done much to it, but i plan to add some acce$$ories......

·
Registered
777 Posts
Buy the Y2k.

I agree with selftc about those who put on aftermarket performance parts.. They are 'usually' tougher on their bikes.

for 1500.00 US you could probably put on a Mig slipon/Scotts damper and undertail.

Here is a link that shows diff. between 99 and Y2K bike.http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/yamahar1.htm

:bs

Oh BTW. I would NEVER buy someone elses helmet!!!:puke

8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of U have made very good points. Let me tell U what i know. The guy wit the 99 is a friend of mine whose been riding 4 15 yrs. He put the add-ons himself and has had the bike 4 a yr now and has maintained the bike very well from what he has said. Bike has been kept indoors in a warm room. The 2000 r1 is in upstate NY, it was on e-bay, some1 never went through wit the sale so he contacetd me cuz it's still 4 sale. I've never seen the 2000 physically, i don't know this person. All i know is that it's 4 sale. Correct if i'm wrong, I would hate 2 get stiffed by a stranger, I don't think the 99 dude would stoop that low, I want the newer model, but, bikes get roughed up all the time and u wouldn't even know it, even the 99. What i'm try'n 2 say is that I feel more comfortable gettin it from some1 u know than just a knowbody. This is going 2 b my 1st purchase and I don't want [email protected]#k it up. Bsides the mod's , r their any serious problems wit the 99's that any1 has xperienced, recalls and so forth. I'm leaning towards the 99 only becuz i trust this guy and the bike is hooked up. I've been riding his R1 all month, testing it out 2 c if I like it, it rides smotth as hell, no probs with gears, brakes, the only prob is that I can't seem 2 find a long enuff str8 away..:) All your opinions have been very helpful, and I do appreciate it..Most likely I'm gonna opt 4 the 99 but if it was the other way around, if my friend had the 2000 and the 99 was an e-bay flop, then I think i would go wit the 2000, bottom line , I just don't wanna make any mistakes, their both :rock bikes!!!

8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, well my mind I think has been made up, BTW, i'm 26, no points, no accidents, how much insurrance r u guys paying, I got a quote 4 $2200/full coverage? is this bout right? Seems a little steep 2 me, but then again , I live in NJ/NY area, highest ins $'s in the country!!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
first off - buy the 99 from your friend....if you had given more details first time round the 2000 R1 would not have been my choice.

Second - I'm glad I don't live in NYC!! I pay $650.00 yr. for full insurance - thats CANADIAN dollars!!!:D

:bs

8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL, u lucky son of a :machinegu , I'm gonna pick it up, what am I saying, I already picked it up, just gotta pay and get title and register and insure, then dunno what 2 do next, I'm seriously thinking bout the SSSA, It looks sooo sick, but twisted said if u change the geometry, no good, but then I read from the product manufacture the advantages and that sounds good 2, Just wanna hook it up and make it lighter than it allready is, kinda crazy, I know, bike comes up like nuttin', and don't 4get the magnesium wheels, any suggestions, my friend said I shouldn't do any engine work, that tends 2 mess up the bike in the long run , less reliable, like my brother in laws 99 gixxer, it's been bored out, and has starting probs sometimes, we were on the Garden St Pkwy last week, riding @ 100mph+ the whole time, we switched bikes, what a diff, his bike is more comfy and solid, but the R1 is alot more throttle responsive and just feels like a smoother ride, wouldn't get anything else!!! It is a nice bike though, here's a pic of it:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts