Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
TechnoPhiliac
419 Posts
On the Ohlins rear shock, there is the pheumatic preload adjustment. It allows a fine adjustment to preload on the bike. Can the preload be changed in a more coarse manner, such as using a spanner tool? <snip>
I've got a 46PRXLB for my '07 about a week ago and still haven't installed it. So I have it in my hand and I have uploaded a photo. First, I'd say the adjuster is probably a worm/ring gear mechanical affair rather than pneumatic or hydraulic. No matter. Also, it looks like the body is threaded and not just grooves for a circlip. If you take a closer look at the photo you'll see a pin that ties the spanner nut to the preload adjustment mechanism. I'd say you wouldn't be able to rotate the spanner nut beyond the point where the mechanism contacts the reservoir unless you remove this pin first. I don't know exactly how the pin is retained but I would be a little leary about removing it in case you can't get it back in there properly.

I'd say its best to stick with the fine adjustment. Its a minor pain in the ass and shouldn't require much adjustment once a correct setting is determined for a given track or situation.

Attachments

·
TechnoPhiliac
419 Posts
Traxxion makes a collar that replaces the adjuster to give you a wider adjustment range... ...Once you install Traxxions manual adjuster changing spring rates in the future is much easier.
Excellent information but I have to make a correction. These adjusters only change the spring preload. Spring rate for a coil spring is a function of spring geometry only. ;)

·
TechnoPhiliac
419 Posts
I'd look at the owners manual if I could find one...
The manual that came with mine is the same as the PDF on the Ohlins website. It is not the best documentation I have ever seen. It covers all motorcycle and shock models so it is very generic.

And, while I was there, I saw that there is a hydraulic version of the preload adjuster. Here is a picture, an installation manual for it as well as a copy of the owners manual.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.