Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and myself have decided to start up this little company called Riverway Technologies. We build custom computers made to order.

If anyone is interested in getting one built send an email to [email protected] or you can pm me here also.

We are just starting up so any help from my fellow bikers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
860 Posts
unless you plan to stay local and make your business model around really good door-to-door service, you might want to get out before you get in.

Computers have become a cheap commodity, you'll have a hard time selling computers for any substantial profit.

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mercurial said:
unless you plan to stay local and make your business model around really good door-to-door service, you might want to get out before you get in.

Computers have become a cheap commodity, you'll have a hard time selling computers for any substantial profit.

Ah yes, have already thought about that. We know we will not become super rich from doing this. It is more of a part time venture at this point, we still have our full time jobs. You really wouldnt believe the markup on the price of things. Plus when you see the ads for the "Dell" computer on the tv selling for 500 or so those are not the ones that someone who really uses his computer for business or gaming will want. Those are the base systems. I should know, I purchased a Dell about 3-4 years ago and spent close to 2500 on the exact model that I wanted, far cry from the 500 advertised on on tv. and guess what it is outdated right now! I can build one twice as good as mine for less than half the price, so I think that is a pretty good deal in my eyes.

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Erkki said:
You gonna try to run DIT out of business? ;)
Sure, then I can say "I DIT it!" How ghey!

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Jump1979man said:
Ah yes, have already thought about that. We know we will not become super rich from doing this. It is more of a part time venture at this point, we still have our full time jobs. You really wouldnt believe the markup on the price of things. Plus when you see the ads for the "Dell" computer on the tv selling for 500 or so those are not the ones that someone who really uses his computer for business or gaming will want. Those are the base systems. I should know, I purchased a Dell about 3-4 years ago and spent close to 2500 on the exact model that I wanted, far cry from the 500 advertised on on tv. and guess what it is outdated right now! I can build one twice as good as mine for less than half the price, so I think that is a pretty good deal in my eyes.
Not trying to sound like a dick, cuz i wish you luck, but my company purchases prob 20 computers a year from Dell, and we never pay that.
Mostly we pay less than $500 for each workstation, and they are actually Server class computers.
Now if you are building high-end custom computers, that is different, but then you need to position yourself to compete with the likes of Alienware, not Dell.

BTW, if you're wondering about the computers, check the thread i had in computer guru section.
New computer less than $300.00 shipped to my door.

BTW, one of the reasons businesses buy from places like Dell, is that they are going to be there for warranty issues. Not that you are not, but just something else to think about when selling them.
Personally, we could build all of our own, but then we have to fight with different companies on warranties if compnents fail, with Dell, they just overnight a new peice no matter what.

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
R1Budha said:
Not trying to sound like a dick, cuz i wish you luck, but my company purchases prob 20 computers a year from Dell, and we never pay that.
Mostly we pay less than $500 for each workstation, and they are actually Server class computers.
Now if you are building high-end custom computers, that is different, but then you need to position yourself to compete with the likes of Alienware, not Dell.

BTW, if you're wondering about the computers, check the thread i had in computer guru section.
New computer less than $300.00 shipped to my door.

BTW, one of the reasons businesses buy from places like Dell, is that they are going to be there for warranty issues. Not that you are not, but just something else to think about when selling them.
Personally, we could build all of our own, but then we have to fight with different companies on warranties if compnents fail, with Dell, they just overnight a new peice no matter what.
Yes, we are aiming a little higher than the common work capability computer. When I reference my computer I am speaking of a high end computer with the top of the line graphics and sound, with great monitor. Of course that was also 3-4 years ago. My Comp was very comparable to an alien back then, today of course it still is very capable but anyone knows technology gets way better in a matter of a few months with tech crap.
I really dont understand everyones negative opinions on this. yes Dell does make some cheap computers and most likely will be cheaper than ours. Of course too, I can build the same spec computer for just as cheap, I am sure. I am currently looking into comparisons as we speak.
If you look into buying a high end computer with great graphics and sound you will end up paying at the least 2000.00 with either Dell or Alien, the latter will cost even more.
http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/area-51.aspx?SysCode=PC-AREA51&SubCode=SKU-EXTREME

I do appreciate everyones "opinions" but when you are just starting something, praise is better than negativity.
Hey if you do buy 20 comps a year, give me your specs and what you want and see if I can build it cheaper. What is there to lose.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
I would gladly let you build them, however, again read my post on why businesses buy from places like Dell.
Also much of what we buy is either really cheap, or really high end servers w/ redundant power supplies and the like. These again are purchased with an eye on warranty and supplying company stability.
Aiming high is the way to go, and that is where you can compete easily.
The biggest thing Alenware has going fro them is their reputation. Otherwise they mostly use off the shelf components. So you should be able to build something just as good, for less money. the problem is most people buy AW for bragging rights, otherwise they build and mod their own.
A few suggestions would be to aim for the high end home user, who thinks they want cutting edge, but really needs 3 month ago technology if you get what i mean.
Package em with good periipherals like LCD monitors with dual inputs (VGA and DVI) possibly wireless/bluetooth keyboard/mouse and the like. These people have moeny to spend, and wouldn't build them even if they knew how.

BTW, one other thing to seperate yourself like AW does, is to purchase retail versions of the OS and programs, not supply OEM type versions. A lot of higher end customers find this to be a great selling feature. Also, offer setup help and custom config for different application types if they want it.

Good luck.
Good computer people are hard to find, so if you're good, your name will get around.

*EDIT*
Also just thought of this, another reason to stay away from the truely top end customer, is that after you leave the box, little Johnny will go into it, and try to "fix" it like he has read on the internet, and you'll be screwed either way. If he makes it perform better by shutting down services etc, he'll tell everyone you don't know shit. If he screws it up, his parents will think you don't know shit, and tell all their friends.
Lose-lose situation.

just my $.02

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
R1Budha said:
I would gladly let you build them, however, again read my post on why businesses buy from places like Dell.
Also much of what we buy is either really cheap, or really high end servers w/ redundant power supplies and the like. These again are purchased with an eye on warranty and supplying company stability.
Aiming high is the way to go, and that is where you can compete easily.
The biggest thing Alenware has going fro them is their reputation. Otherwise they mostly use off the shelf components. So you should be able to build something just as good, for less money. the problem is most people buy AW for bragging rights, otherwise they build and mod their own.
A few suggestions would be to aim for the high end home user, who thinks they want cutting edge, but really needs 3 month ago technology if you get what i mean.
Package em with good periipherals like LCD monitors with dual inputs (VGA and DVI) possibly wireless/bluetooth keyboard/mouse and the like. These people have moeny to spend, and wouldn't build them even if they knew how.

BTW, one other thing to seperate yourself like AW does, is to purchase retail versions of the OS and programs, not supply OEM type versions. A lot of higher end customers find this to be a great selling feature. Also, offer setup help and custom config for different application types if they want it.

Good luck.
Good computer people are hard to find, so if you're good, your name will get around.

*EDIT*
Also just thought of this, another reason to stay away from the truely top end customer, is that after you leave the box, little Johnny will go into it, and try to "fix" it like he has read on the internet, and you'll be screwed either way. If he makes it perform better by shutting down services etc, he'll tell everyone you don't know shit. If he screws it up, his parents will think you don't know shit, and tell all their friends.
Lose-lose situation.

just my $.02

IF you are serious and want to give us a try send me via email or pm your specs and I can see what I can do. Customer service is everything in business, and I would gladly take care of any warranty issues out of pocket to repair right away. That is how business is done. I would then return the part myself and get it replaced. This, of course is how business is and should be done always. For the most part if you have good materials and parts there shouldnt be a whole lot of issues with systems needing fixed or replaced. You still only get a one year warranty from Dell.
And yes we will install the OS with our own little touch and also custom config everything.
Great ideas and thoughts! I do agree that people do buy AW to brag.
:thumbup

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bump

·
Full Time Post Whore
9,058 Posts
I have to agree with Budha....

We order Dells directly from Dell.... it's because companies have to have some kind of standards going....can you imagine the nightmare if company would have bunch of diffferent computers? Then there comes corporate discounts with Dell, licensing, Service Agreements, Warranty.. bunch of other things too...

good luck with your venture..

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maxxym said:
I have to agree with Budha....

We order Dells directly from Dell.... it's because companies have to have some kind of standards going....can you imagine the nightmare if company would have bunch of diffferent computers? Then there comes corporate discounts with Dell, licensing, Service Agreements, Warranty.. bunch of other things too...

good luck with your venture..

Thank you but, we are not looking to build for companies. Unless we are specifically asked. I have become a licensed reseller from a leading company. Everything has a warranty!!! I have a Tax Id!!!! Everything is LEGIT!

:thumbup

·
Glacier Park Montana...R1 Trip
1,449 Posts
Good for you for jumping out on your own! It took me most of my life to do it and I've never looked back.

Start local and offer unmatched service and consistency. There are enough individuals and businesses that will jump on the chance to save $$$$$.

All of the guys sitting back all smug knocking down a good income can think about this. If you are worth 50K to a company then you are worth 100K for yourself. You are employed because you produce and make more $$ for the company. I think you have a great idea and that you can create your own market niche.

I need a new system and would take a chance on you......

Go for it!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ZRider said:
Good for you for jumping out on your own! It took me most of my life to do it and I've never looked back.

Start local and offer unmatched service and consistency. There are enough individuals and businesses that will jump on the chance to save $$$$$.

All of the guys sitting back all smug knocking down a good income can think about this. If you are worth 50K to a company then you are worth 100K for yourself. You are employed because you produce and make more $$ for the company. I think you have a great idea and that you can create your own market niche.

I need a new system and would take a chance on you......

Go for it!!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement! This is exactly what I need! It is very hard out there and slow beginings but, it is slowly starting to fall in place. We currently have a few clients already.

I would be more than happy to help you out with getting a great deal on a computer.

Let me know what you are interested in and I can give you a price. Doesn't hurt to see what price I can give compared to others out there.

Email is [email protected]:thumbup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts