Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
My R1 Rox0rs!
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i read more and more of the R1 forum, I noticed a thread about fork position and where the best place to set them.

I bought my R1 a few months ago and noticed they maybe set a little too low. I measured them with a steel rule and it indicated 19mm as illustrated below.

Can you tell me if this would alter the handling in a big way? as the guy I bought the bike from says he lowered them to help bad tankslapping under hard acceleration... also can anyone tell me the best way to set them to standard as I havent a clue on how to jack the front end up :dunno

·
WUZ-UP !
4,355 Posts
19mm is quite a bit, how's the bike ride ? Does it feel twitchy ? Dropping the front helps plant the bike and quicken steering but tomuch will make it want to high side......Are you running stock shock and forks ? Is it dialed for you ?

·
My R1 Rox0rs!
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh it's very flighty in 2nd and 3rd under hard acceleration, but all R1's are like that suppose, but it does seem hard work sometimes when you fling it into corners.

The main problem is my hands ache like mad after about 10 miles with leaning too far forward :lol

Everything is Stock btw...

·
WUZ-UP !
4,355 Posts
Try resetting the fork at 10mm drop, set your sag at 35mm rear and 40mm front, set valving at

YZF-R1 ('99) 12/99 fork/rebound 2 clicks out comp. 4 clicks out --Shock/rebound 3 clicks out Comp.7 clicks out

This is from Sport rider's web site, they have pre load set at 2 lines out in front and position 6 in back but depending on how much you weigh this may not work for you.

Give it a try and see how it works for you.

·
see you at the races and ride
3,906 Posts
put the forks 5mm up not 19mm, fit the renthal diamond grips and do my seat mod in the how-to section and you will be able to ride all day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.