Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Today I took the rear wheel out to install a new tire. It was my first time. I've always take it to the shop. It really was a piece of cake.

One thing I noticed was that the bearing seals are not really sealed. They are just like covers. When I took out the axle the left seal/cover came off. So I checked the other side and I could take it out with my hand. I put them back on. Is that normal? I guess it is. Just want to make sure.

· 70,000 miles on 4 R1's 01-04
2,384 Posts
Thanks Turbo05R1!

So are they supposed to stay still when the wheel is spinning or are they supposed to spin with the wheel?
everything is fine dont worry

· 70,000 miles on 4 R1's 01-04
2,384 Posts
Yea, they're fine, just make sure you don't forget to put the spacers back in (those tubes that came out of the wheel).
ya bangin the axle back out after the bearing fuses to it is not fun.

· Super Moderator
22,568 Posts
I usually take a old shoe string and loop it through the wheel holding the bearing seal in place. I do this as soon as I pull the wheel. This way it won't get lost and if it does come off it's not going anywhere. I've done this for years.

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
did you already do it? just pull out the axle. i think only like 3 pieces fall. just spacers basically.
Yes I installed the wheel that same day when I got back from the shop with new tire.

WOW! Now I'm worried about that axle spacer that you guys are talking about . The only thing that fell was one dust cover and I put it back in. Nothing else fell. Should I be worried?

When I installed the wheel back, the axle passed through with no problem at all.

I took the bike for a ride and no weird noises.

Anyway, I will remove the wheel again just to make sure that the spacer is there.

· Registered
282 Posts
uh-oh

· Registered
282 Posts
Hey, nice closeups...no worries now...

· My Twins took all my money
2,465 Posts
Sorry, been doing a lot of working, don't always get a chance to get on when I get home. Looks like you've got everything there, and since you have the wheel off, put some grease on the bearings. I guess I should've mentioned this earlier, but it just came to me.

· Just do it!
22 Posts
Takes damn good pictures for sure!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.