Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Question for Corbin seat owners

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  rexmitchell 
#1 ·
Quick question for anyone with a Corbin seat for the 04+ models. Just recieved my Corbin seat today from another forum member. Awesome seat but just concerned about one thing. Compared to the stock seat there seems to be less padding in the rear middle of the seat. I can push down on the padding with one finger push right to the seat pan no problem. If I push on the same area on the stock seat with one finger I can't even get all the way to the seat pan. So basically it seems as there is less padding. Normal or not??? Designed that way for comfort? Will I be feeling seat pan on my ass after long rides? Thanx

#5 ·
Ok...re-eval'ed the seat. One finger doesnt just sink down the seat pan that easily. You gotta push with 2+ fingers. But I can imagine with my 165lbs my ass may hit that pan no prob. But never the less seems like thin padding (could just be like that by design). Again....only toward the rear of the seat in the middle where its really noticeable.

#13 ·
I have no problems with my corbin. 2 things to keep in mind. You purchased it from a forum member, so you never know what happend to it while they had it. Second, your weight won't be so concentrated on a point, like when you use your fingers. It will be spread out a bit more. As other have already said, get on it and ride. You might like it, you might not.

#10 ·
The seat foam is supposed to be stiffer than normal. It is memory foam that will take shape once you sit on it.
Taken from the Corbin sit:
"Is the Corbin seat softer than my stock one?
When the question of seat softness is raised, it actually brings up several issues. First off, a soft foam is actually detrimental to riding comfort (most stock motorcycle seats use a foam density of 3-4 pounds). When a foam is too soft, it does not offer the rider the support that is needed for the long haul and given time will compact to the point to where it offers no resiliency at all. When this occurs, the rider usually assumes that the seat is too hard, when in fact the problem has arisen from the foam being too soft.
Corbin's solution is to use a contoured "Comfort Cell?" foam. This foam is of the closed cell variety which means that it is made up of a series of small bubbles which hold air pockets that keep the saddle resilient indefinitely. Corbin foam is designed to give us the flexibility to vary the density of it to suit the design of the saddle (low profile seats require denser foam) and is cast into a shape that disperses the rider's weight over a greater area of square inches, therefore eliminating pressure points. This is what we call "ergonomic shaping". On average, Corbin foam is used at a density of approximately 7 pounds which after decades of testing has proven to provide the best combination of resilience with true riding SUPPORT!
In addition, Corbin's foam has a memory feature. After a break-in period of approximately 1500-2000 miles, the saddle will actually take on the shape of the rider which provides even better weight dispersion and custom fitted comfort."

Personally, I have had one for 2 years now. I tried riding a few days this year with the stock seat because I like to flick the bike around sometimes. My nuts were smashed up against the tank the whole time and my back was hurting me. I went and put the seat back on as soon as I could. The Corbin seat does hinder the flickability of the bike. So I ended up ordering another Corbin seat covered in very glossy leather carbon fiber weave that slid more when flicking the bike. That pretty much solved that concern.
The seat is a great investment.

#15 ·
I got a Corbin that had a permanent, visible, dent in the seat itself and it didn't line up right and wouldn't bolt down.
It was brand new and Corbin would NOT stand behind their product!
They refused to fix or replace and pretty much told me too bad, you bought it, now it's yours.

I will NEVER buy another Corbin anything and I would suggest the same to anyone.

#16 ·
I habe a Corbin seat on my 09 and I think it is a very good quality seat....nicely made and is just right for spirited riding. I've had mine for nearly 3 years now with no complaints other than the added weight but, during the purchase period it was very taxing dealing with Corbin directly! However, I am quite pleaded with the seat overall.....looks great too!

#18 ·
The Corbin I had on my R1 was the most uncomfortable POS ever. Stock seat is way better in my mind. I know plenty of people that like them but I also think R1's have the most comfortable stock seats behind gsxrs. Got sit on a Honda seat if you want to see a shitty seat :fact

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.