Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Full-Time Time Waster
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to the thread "saw a motorcycle wreck today" about a cruiser rider that went down with no gear . . . . I was thinking about this in my car the other day and wondering. Everyone here with half a brain has read enough stories to know that gear is good-helmets, gloves, jacket at least, full leathers if possible (even though many times people will chance it with the jeans route or other reinforced pants). But VERY often you see the cruiser riders getting down with nothing but the t shirt and jeans, little tiny non-full-face helmet, no gloves, etc. So for those of you on here who ride cruisers and know how important gear is, what is your solution? Do you do it in typical cruiser style, or do you go all geared up anyway?

And I'm not meaning this to start a gear war or anything; I'm just really curious because I know that if I were riding a cruiser, I'd certainly be tempted to go the more comfortable relaxed route, and I'm sure most would agree that a dude in a full suit on a cruiser would look somewhat goofy, but hey, it's a heck of a lot safer. Anyway, sorry for the long post . . .

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
The main reason that i've always heard from them is this:
"Well i don't go fast, and i'm not acting like an idiot like those sportbike riders, so i know i'm going to be okay without it."

Typically this is the same guy who is rideing a Harley and while they may have a leather kacket and gloves, they most of the time do not have anything else.

Personally i've ridden cruisers over the years while wearing leather jackets and pants, full gloves, and a full face helmet. I don't care what others thnik, i'd rather save my skin than please them.

BTW, not all leather gear is flashy and full of vibrant colors. A lot of it can also be had in straight black. :fact

·
Full-Time Time Waster
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True Budha, I do realize that about the leathers, and that's exactly what I'm wondering. I think I would be much more inclined after having spent a large amount of time here to go ahead and choose the less comfortable or "cool" get up in favor of preventative maintenance of my skin. Love to hear others' perspectives as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts