Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm modifying my '02 track bike. I got rid of the AIS and other crap - including the head light / turn signal / horn button assembly (and the attached wiring) on the left clip-on.

Near the base of the clutch lever, there is a small switch with wires connecting it to the wiring of the assembly I removed. I disconnected these wires, leaving 2 empty connectors on the switch itself.

When I pull the clutch lever in, a "button" moves out of the switch and then retracts when the lever is released.

What is this switch for and do I need it?

Sorry, no pictures.

·
Off Topic mod
11,194 Posts
It is to ensure that the clutch is pulled when you attempt to start the bike while it is in gear...
You dont really need it, especially since you are going to use as a track bike but you will have to get the bike into neutral before starting it...
This can be a bad thing if you have a booboo in the track and cant get the bike in neutral.
You can always bypass the switch :)

·
Off Topic mod
11,194 Posts
Zippy said:
Thanks, Shadow. :thumbup
Just in casethat you dont want the switch in the circuit, all you have to do is get the cables that went to the switch and short them together. TGhat way the bike will think the clutch is always in and let the bike start in any gear.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
r1gladiator said:
hey Zippy you missed a great ride with yellowsnow and I. Palm Springs was so nice and sunny.

Ride safe bro:thumbup

After 2 weeks of not being able to find my freakin' key. I broke down and paid $160 to a locksmith to come to my house yesterday and make me a new one. I waited all day for him to show up. Finally, around 4:30, I was able to jump on the bike and make a quick dash to the Malibu hills.

The roads were absolutely dogshit. So much dirt, sand, water. At one point, I came up on tons of emergency vehicles tending to some dude who drove his SUV off Piuma Rd. The guy traveled so far down a jagged-edged cliff. I can't believe he survived. He was pretty messed up from what I heard.

I'm staying out of the canyons until all this rain stops. Way too dangerous.

Look forward to riding with you again soon, Gladiator. :thumbup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts