Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Putt. Putt Putt. Pffffpphbbbt.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a little out of place.. but I just recently got into biking, and got myself a slow little starter bike to learn on (1981 Honda CM400 Custom) I only plan on keeping it for a bit until i can move onto an older bulletbike, and eventually, once i get enough credit, to an r1... I'm 18, and I figure since this is my first bike I really shouldn't drop straight onto the bikes you all ride... (its like handing the keys to a mclauren to someone who just graduated driver's ed... not a smart thing ;))

But, I'm having problems with it... Whenever I accellerate, I'll put it in 2nd, and around 25% of the time, ill get up around 3-4000 rpms, and it will fall into neutral, and ill have to put it back into second, or if its really being a pain ill put it into third...

I know it has something to do either with the tranny or the gear itself, but does anyone have a good idea what it could be, and a cheap way to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

·
190 rear section heaven !
1,997 Posts
Nice to see you've made te right decision about not buying a missile first....

Sounds to me like the gears may be screwed but firstly I would check all the linkage that operates the gears...

You need to make sure all the bits you operate with your left foot are all in the right place etc...

Get some specs on it and check it out...

Sometimes if the linkage isn't all adjusted properly then it won't engage right, which may be your problem.....

Good luck dood.....

:thumbup

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, well i know next to nothing about bikes, so ty for the advice, but if it is the gear(s)? then what would i be looking at replacing? can i just replace 2nd gear because thats what is having issues? How much would that be running me do you think? I will go take a look at all the linkage, but what type of book should i pick up for it/where would be a good place to get a detailed look at what it needs to look like/specs on it?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Hard to say really;

Like RIDER said,check all bolts and nuts pertaining to the shift mechanism from the lever to the bracket atatched to the shaft that goes in the motor;if there is none,you may have a defective shift fork.

You can try shifting the 2nd hard with your foot,and wearing boots (motorcycle kind!) help shifting too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
make sure you click it properly into second - ie . count from one to neutral to second.

it may sound silly but it does help new riders.

btw try changing your engine oil, filter and lube the shift levers - this should help a bit

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did try basically slamming it into second(with proper clutching o' course) and it does seem to help a LOT... its a lil' dark right now (just got back from work - i work 'till about midnight) so i'll prolly do my fluids n' whatnot in the morning...

As for my equipment that im riding on... all i'm using are my ancient chucks ... is there a difference between normal boots and motorcycle boots?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The difference between normal boots and motorcycle boots is armor. Motorcycle boots will protect your feet and ankles far better than normal boots. As far as your bike goes, I think your going to have to take it in and have the tranny repaired. You don't want to be on the rode with a malfunctioning bike. It could be life and death if you need to get out of the way of another vehicle and not be able to because your gears are screwed.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thx for the advice...
I do believe I should take it into a shop... I'm not an expert and i've probably missed something anyway - and you're right, if that moment comes up and i do need to get out of the way it would be best to have a working bike. I'll prolly get that done this next check cuz ive got like 95 some odd hours on it :eek: but yea...

Thanks for all your help guys!

Take it easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts