Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the hell is this shizzet :dundun:

Yamaha R1 & R6 Racing Front Wheel Kit, AMA Daytona Sportbike Racing

Quick change Front wheel/axle kit for Yamaha R6 by Fast Frank Racing.

We machine a 2 step hex nut that is a press fit into the the stock axle and held in place with two set screws,
Next we machine a threaded spacer that goes into the fork leg and stays there (the axle bolt threads into this part and stays in place).

Very simple install, only takes a few minutes. With this kit you can change to front wheel without removing the brake calipers.

This kit comes with: Modified axle, pull cone, hex nut, machined nut for the axle bolt and complete install instructions.
(The pull cone is available in natural finish, or blue anodize finish)

You will have to modify the front fender for this to work, but its very simple. You will also need to lift the bike with a front stand that picks the bike up from the lower triple tree, Woodcraft make a good front stand for this and its Not expensive.

(We also have captive wheel spacers available for the R6 and rear Quick Change kits available for the R6)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-R1-R6-Racing-Front-Wheel-Kit-AMA-Daytona-Sportbike-Racing-/251110656272?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a775c8910&vxp=mtr

·
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Banned
5,515 Posts
What's the fender modification...I'm actually a little intrigued by this
Not sure what Frank does on his, but Graves uses a 3 piece fender with dzus fasteners to hold the fender on to the 2 pieces that are mounted to the forks. I'll email Frank and see what he does, seems a little cheaper. :lol

·
I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,693 Posts
Looks to me like he removes the rear mount bolts and cuts the front down to make it more flexible. If you watch the video you will see the fender mis-shape itself as the forks are moved apart, plus the forks have a tendency to spring back which I think is caused by the fender tension.
I wouldn't bother with all that for the amount I remove the wheel but the axle is pretty cool as you don't have to mess with all the pinch bolts when you remove the wheel.

·
R1 Forum Star
16,200 Posts
Looks to me like he removes the rear mount bolts and cuts the front down to make it more flexible. If you watch the video you will see the fender mis-shape itself as the forks are moved apart, plus the forks have a tendency to spring back which I think is caused by the fender tension.
I wouldn't bother with all that for the amount I remove the wheel but the axle is pretty cool as you don't have to mess with all the pinch bolts when you remove the wheel.
emailed him and he said the front needs trimmed down about 1" so I believe you are correct.

·
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK,
now you got my attention...
What is the "fail" rate on this tho :dunno

·
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going down the street or on the freeway and the wheel coming loose.
Cuz i was thinking on ordering the rear set up for my 01R1 that has the 04R1 wheel setup

1 - 20 of 76 Posts