Hope is what makes us Human.
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Ian!
Your the reason i love this forum. :fact

·
24 Liters
14,341 Posts
Have it. Works well. Frank is a top guy to deal with as well. You can make it "street safe" by locking the front pinch bolts down if you're worried about anything coming undone. He did a custom setup for my front end with some different bolts and puller cups, but his machining work is top shelf. :thumbup

·
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I thought Fikays was the reason! :crash
Shuhhhhh! dont let Frank know :lol

Have it. Works well. Frank is a top guy to deal with as well. You can make it "street safe" by locking the front pinch bolts down if you're worried about anything coming undone. He did a custom setup for my front end with some different bolts and puller cups, but his machining work is top shelf.
Yep,
really nice guy indeed. I asked him if he could do a kit for me, cuz i have the 04 wheel.
Its only one problem "399.00 plus shipping for the kit" :crash
Crap!

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
It's worth mentioning that if you're going to use an impact gun to remove, and especially insert your spindles and tighten them, two things:

1. Make sure the clutch is set low enough that you won't strip the soft alloy thread in the forks.

2. Make sure you start the thread by hand, not like in the videos with the gun. You won't last very long like that...

Also unless you have magnetic piston'd calipers or those with inserts in their pistons, don't expect to be able to line up rotors with pads as easily as those videos make it seem. They're very misleading in my opinion. Chances are they either have pads removed for the purposes of the videos or the pads have been pushed well back prior.

·
Banned
5,515 Posts
It's worth mentioning that if you're going to use an impact gun to remove, and especially insert your spindles and tighten them, two things:

1. Make sure the clutch is set low enough that you won't strip the soft alloy thread in the forks.

2. Make sure you start the thread by hand, not like in the videos with the gun. You won't last very long like that...

Also unless you have magnetic piston'd calipers or those with inserts in their pistons, don't expect to be able to line up rotors with pads as easily as those videos make it seem. They're very misleading in my opinion. Chances are they either have pads removed for the purposes of the videos or the pads have been pushed well back prior.
Pads have had their edges beveled at the front for easier insertion, but yeah I do agree.

·
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ben, are you still running 01 forks?
Yes!
they been un-touch since i purchase back in 01 :hammer:

The front end its very much done just need the 04R1 MR C/F hunger. Or if i feel rich i will try to get the brembo calipers and Harris Yokes.:flex:

You should see my parts room :shake
I got bits eveyrwhere. :crash
I should be done collecting parts by next year season :sneaky

Hi Mark!

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Pads have had their edges beveled at the front for easier insertion, but yeah I do agree.
I just watched the vids quickly, not read anything but if they do/admit that then furry muff ;)

You still need a fair degree of 'luck#' even when doing that. Magnetically held apart pads PLUS bevelling are the only way to get close to perfect results each time.

·
Banned
5,515 Posts
I just watched the vids quickly, not read anything but if they do/admit that then furry muff ;)

You still need a fair degree of 'luck#' even when doing that. Magnetically held apart pads PLUS bevelling are the only way to get close to perfect results each time.
Now where to get magnets.....

·
18,870 Posts

In the vids I posted -- the pads are filed down, and held back with magnets. I pitted for this bike in a WERA 6 hour 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
In the vids I posted -- the pads are filed down, and held back with magnets. I pitted for this bike in a WERA 6 hour 2 years ago.
There you go then.

As long as peeps know that, all good with me. Just didn't want anyone thinking they could fit this kit and it be as easy as it looks in the video without those sort of mods too.

·
24 Liters
14,341 Posts
Another couple of points to note (if we're really getting into it) are the spring loaded devices that swing the fork lowers/calipers out as soon as you pull the front spindle. Additionally, take a look at any real endurance bike and you'll see the front mudguard is trimmed so far back in the front that it's barely there.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts