·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Fck Mark!
Dont you know that i have heart problems... :(

Are you going to do the captive brake caliper too Ben
Thinking of it.
I dont really use the bike on track, most of just for show like Ron's bike. But alot dirtied :lol

He's not sleeping you noob. How do you think the front end of that bike is staying off the ground? Mental levitation. That's how
Seth!
Your the best :fact

What kind of system they use here on this Virgin swinger...:dunno

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
I added the front axle to my watch list few days back looking for something to go with my spondon modified swingarm. Good to hear its quality... I was going to ask before buying it.

How do you do the magnet mod??

To bad they aren't made in Ti... but then massive $ :(

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
i meant that in a purely good way :lol
Bloody kids, they talk funny these days...

:lol

'Magnet mod' - You can either by endurance spec calipers with magnets pre-installed and wider pad openings etc. or you can make your own piston inserts and bond them in. I don't know of anyone that makes inserts personally.

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
'Magnet mod' - You can either by endurance spec calipers with magnets pre-installed and wider pad openings etc. or you can make your own piston inserts and bond them in. I don't know of anyone that makes inserts personally.

Cheers Mark. Sounds like more effort than its worth... whittling away at magnets lol and calipers are at least 12 months away and I doubt they will be big bad endurance calipers.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Cheers Mark. Sounds like more effort than its worth... whittling away at magnets lol and calipers are at least 12 months away and I doubt they will be big bad endurance calipers.
I agree. Unless you're racing and need an ultra quick wheelchange setup, adding magnets is just weight you can do without.

The kit in this thread is very cool, nice looking and a decent mod if you like that sort of thing, but like Sethlington said, use the pinch bolts on the road or for trackday use.

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
I agree. Unless you're racing and need an ultra quick wheelchange setup, adding magnets is just weight you can do without.

The kit in this thread is very cool, nice looking and a decent mod if you like that sort of thing, but like Sethlington said, use the pinch bolts on the road or for trackday use.
Exactly. My bike is lucky to travel 2000km a year so wheels don't come of much at all.

So for the quick release to operate at its full potential they run with the pinch bolts backed out a little? :scared I definitely won't be doing that.

·
I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,675 Posts
Yes Eli, the one side that holds the threaded spacer will have the pinch bolts done up and torqued down, the other side will be loose to allow the axle to just slide in and out. If you look at his pics you can see he has the right side safety wired to stop them coming all the way out as they are not tight.

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
Yes Eli, the one side that holds the threaded spacer will have the pinch bolts done up and torqued down, the other side will be loose to allow the axle to just slide in and out. If you look at his pics you can see he has the right side safety wired to stop them coming all the way out as they are not tight.
I guess if it can withstand racing conditions it would be safe for me to pootle around on with safety wire but not worth the risk.

I'm still quite intrigued to see exactly how quick release works on the rear with chain adjustment and all. Hopefully my swingers here soon so I can drool over it all. :jump

·
Professional
7 Posts
Hi Guys, this is Frank aka "Fast Frank"
I will try to answer some of the questions I read here.

I am marketing the quick change wheel kits to sprint racers and track day riders because they (we) are the largest group of riders and are changing wheels all the time plus if racing and you get into that situation of starting to rain or just quit raining and track drying fast, then the ability to change wheels in less than a minute can be the difference between winning or not.

If you want to change wheels in 15 seconds that takes a little more dedication but can be done, such as magnets in the front calipers, beveling the edge of the front & rear pads and also beveling the edge of the brake rotors as well as smoothing the edges on the calipers and trimming a little more from the front fender, I could go on and on.

With my kits (that come with complete instructions) are very easy to install and on the front and rear will work just fine with out magnets, the stock retainer plate for the pads does a good job of holding the pads out of the way for a normal (30 second) wheel change.
Also the front axle is threaded into the original steel bolt, the bolt is held in the fork leg by a threaded alloy spacer/collar.
Should also be noted that for best results you also captive wheels spacers which I also make for front and rear wheels.

My goal in designing these kits was to make an affordable kit for sprint racers/track day riders that works just as good as the big boys. My kits are about 1/4 the price of a company on the left coast.
They also work very well for endurance racing, in fact myself and my team won 3 straight AMA Moto-GT2 endurance championships 07/08/09 running in the middle weight class on a Ducati using FFR QC Kits.

I had about 8 teams in the Daytona 200 this year using my kits, as long as You tighten the axles you don't have to worry about the axle coming loose, plus you can always put a quick release clip on for safety, the rear axle comes drilled for this, the front can be drilled for it, but again if you don't need to be blistering fast just sung up the pinch bolts.

I'm like GE, I just want to make life at the track easier!!!

PS, the pads were not pushed back on the bike in the video, nor were there magnets in the calipers.

Frank

41 - 60 of 76 Posts