Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have searched but can't find any answers.
I got this bike about 4 months ago and haven't had any problems with it.

Until someone installed a cam on the front for me which gets power from the headlights (According to Yamaha this was fine) but now all of a sudden sometimes when I turn the ignition to on the rev counter test doesn't complete (Get halfway and stops or doesn't do the test at all) but when the bike is started the rev counter still works. I have taken the Cam off since but still have this problem. But now sometimes it's worse. While riding the engine light will come on with er-1 and er-3 it never cuts out. I can carry on riding. one I have turned the ignition of and on again all is fine until the next time (Could be a week or two later)

One thing I have picked up from the Search some people say they have this when stopping the engine with the key instead of the kill switch. Could this be the case? I always use the key to stop the engine.

Thank you.

· Rattus Gymnasium
208 Posts
Those error codes are a Communication Error to the Meter

Check the connections at the ECU and at the meter; pull the connectors off, look to make sure they are clean and no other issues with them, reseat them and see how it goes.

· Mo' Money Mo' Mods
132 Posts
Pull off your right fairing and check the wiring harness. My bike was doing something similar recently and the error code 1 was being derived from a bad connection in my harness. The bike still ran fine but kept getting that error. Another place could be behind the windscreen where wires could be chaffed.

· Rattus Gymnasium
208 Posts
Where are you located? There may be a member close to you that may be able to help out.

If you have a multimeter you can check the continuity of the wires, you need the schematic as well.

The other thing I can think of doing is swapping parts. The ECU and meter may need to be swapped with known good parts. You can rule out one or the other, or both.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the reply

I am in Benoni South africa.

I was thinking to remove the cam tonight. Maybe it is shorting out or something.
Unfortunately I am a lone biker :)
None of my friends have bikes. So I cant do the swappout of parts.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have removed the Cam completely to eliminate if that was the problem. So that is Definitely not the problem. But I will try take a Short video of the Code and how soon it now comes on.
I will post a link to it tonight.

Thank you for the reply.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
replace the speedometer
Do you think that is what my problem is?
I took the bike in to Yamaha, the problem didn't come up once while it was there(a whole week). I fetched the bike on a Saturday. That Monday I got the error but the bike started. BUT that was the last time the errors came up for about 3 weeks.
I notices that at the same time that it stopped my front small corner light (Left) and Number plate light had stopped working too. Had to put a new number plate on last weekend so pulled the light out (did not replace) and my problem has come back.

One thing I must note though. I see that both front corner lights and the number plate light are all LEDs.(must have been a mod by previous owner) Could any of this have anything to do with anything?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe clean up the speedo connection and possibly the white connector on the right side under the mid fairing.
Thank you for the reply.
I did do the connection to the right (didn't see any burnt parts on the plug)
and the Yamaha dealer told me they cleaned the speedo connection.

I will re-check the connection to the right.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am still having the same problem.
I don't think I mentioned that whatever the problem is seems to effect my battery.
Bike doesn't start in the morning I have to push start it.
I have replaced the battery but had the same problem the very next day.
Another thing is, The temp displays "Lo" but as soon as I press the Starter button it shows "Hi"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.