Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a R1 2014 model on friday. Need some advice of you experience folks on exhaust.

Looks like there are three types
1. Slip on
2. Link
3. Full

Will a slip on give me a nice engine sound.

Can I only put a Y pipe on a stock pipe.

What are some of the exhaust recommended.

Is a power commander needed.

Sorry for asking too many question.

· Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Congrats on the bike throw up some pics so we can all enjoy it.

As for a good set of pipes get anything from a 3/4 system or just a set of slip on's and keep the stock cat we will all tell you to remove the stock cat it is to heavy and gets very hot so get rid of the cat and fit a good 3/4 system like Akra, Graves or Yoshi any of those would be great to fit as for a power commander is it needed short answer no

· R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,034 Posts
Slipons with Y pipe is recommended by most here. The cat restricts the flow to much so if not changed and you just do slipons you won't see much of a boost in power. I recommend a PC and good dyno tune, it makes a world of difference than just bolting on an exhaust. Stay with stock air filter, it breathes better than aftermarket.

· Registered
107 Posts
welcome. i'm on the same boat, i'm bone stock now.

i'm torn between the leo vince unlimited with a catless y-pipe, or a coffman shorty exhaust(btw- does the coffman replace the stock y-pipe to become catless?) the price difference is substantial, but i can't get over how i don't like the look of the tail with no high-mount pipes on it...

leo vince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H1OLDZc5IU&index=16&list=FL9uteKIb_QUz5FQUymKzv0g

coffman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H1OLDZc5IU&index=16&list=FL9uteKIb_QUz5FQUymKzv0g

sorry didn't mean to thread-jack, but maybe this will help you as well :epimp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.