Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has been under a cover, started monthly, came to put it on bench and give it some tlc and battery was flat, jumped the battery from a car one used often and I have no digital display, tacho stuck at 6 thou, no spark, cranks over fine and strong, lights work, neutral works, new fuses, dashboard is clean and dry, mint condition Inside.
I did remove a datatool 3 alarm years ago, but has been used for years , any pointers on hidden fuses or anything would be great,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Make that x2!
I went out to my 07’ R1 tonight, it lives outside under a cover for now and is a bit damp but all the main plugs are bone dry no fuses blown. Despite being on a battery tender it didn’t turn over as well as it should and after three attempts it wouldn’t even fire then I noticed the tacho was stuck at 12500 rpm and no display at all!
Went out and bought a new yuasa battery and now it starts fine but my dash display is totally blank, tacho won’t move from 12500, no speedo and I can’t even access diag mode...

I had a similar thing happen to it years ago where the tach wouldn’t stop bouncing to random numbers or would stop working and a new battery fixed it that time (and I noticed the optimate wiring plug was shorting..)
If anyone has an answer I would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did either of you solve this as it has just happened to my bike today?

stuck at 12500, no speedo/odo, dash lights still work indicators/neutral etc bike starts and rides fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Funnily enough I’ve been working on it again today...
No, I haven’t fixed it. I thought I had as it was all working then went out for a ride earlier and after half a mile the dash just blanked out again. All the idiot lights stay working but no tacho or lcd display at all..
If I leave it a while sometimes it will work again briefly and weirdly even with the key out sometimes the tacho either resets itself to zero or does an entire sweep all by itself with the bike off?!
It’s so frustrating as I can’t ride it without a Speedo..
I would recommend you make sure your battery is 100% as this problem happened to me a few years ago too and a new battery cured it but I’ve just fitted a new yuasa and no luck this time..
My bike has only done 1800 miles from new so I’m stuck for ideas to what might be at fault? Dash or ecu?
I’ve looked through the workshop manual and I can’t even see any diagrams for the dash other than lighting so fault finding is a pita.
I wish you luck and please let me know if you find anything that might help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll keep you updated I'm going to give it another go tomorrow. Will be investing in a new battery too as it's been sat for awhile, already had to swap out my main fuse as that blew back in feb when i last rode it. so when i get the time gonna strip the bike down again (only just put it back together 🙄) and If that fails bring my pc to the garage and plug in my ECU.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cool, I wish you luck.
When mine did come back on for a while I managed to check the diag and it’s not stored any fault codes at all.
I wish I knew someone else with a working 07’ that I could try the dash and ecu from just to see if it solves it or whether it’s a wiring fault.
I assume if you’ve had the bike apart that you’ve 100% checked the loom/ multi plugs. I had some corrosion in the l/h side one but it didn’t fix the problem.

·
Obey The Law, of Physics
77 Posts
Just an idea as this has not happened to me on an R1. But I did have a similar thing on an 07 Gixxer 750. On that bike it was the speed sensor. I was skeptical that replacing it would fix the problem since it's a solid state thing. What could really be wrong I thought?. But after the new speed sensor speedo/tach back to normal.

Not even sure that your model R1 has a speed sensor but worth a look if it does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks tomski. The 07 r1 does have a similar solid state speed sensor down near the front sprocket and I was hoping it might be that but I’ve checked mine with a meter and it seems to be working and switching as it should.
It’s the intermittent nature of this fault and the fact there are no decent wiring diagrams for the wires that need checking that’s so frustrating as my dash nearly always works when I key on but dies within a few minutes. I’m sure it’s either an internal dash or ecu fault but as my bike had done less than 2k miles from new I don’t want to waste money buying second hand parts just on a hunch..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not got much of a helpful update for you today mate, Just went out back after finishing my shift and checked the bike and it's all come back to normal :unsure: will be keeping and eye on it incase this is a recurring problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m glad yours is working again and I hope your problem has gone.
Mine has behaved for a few years since the last time it played up I’m sure I did something other than just change the battery but I can’t remember..
I’m going to try to test all the wires on the dash plug when I get time and see if there is a power drop anywhere when the dash goes off then open it up just to see if there’s any obvious faults inside as it seems odd how it’s behaving and powering up when the key is out. I just want to get out and ride while the weather is so good!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I looked into the wiring diagrams, took the clocks off and powered them from a separate battery and they seemed to work..
I’ve refitted them to the bike checked every wire and sensor, cleaned all contacts that I can and done two rides this week, a 5 mile check the other day and a longer two hour ride today and they have been working fine! Go figure.. when I just got home the exup was making a strange noise when turning the key on so I thought I’d check all was good in diag. 3 fault codes for both throttle sensors and air pressure sensor but nothing for the exup. Cleared them and rechecked diag then the dash went out again and came back on displaying an err code! Grr...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts