Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2005 R1 seems to be draining the battery, without the alarm on i might add. i have got a tracker fitted mind you(LONDON!!). i get four days maximum out of my battery before i have to resort to the embarrasing task of jump starting. can someone tell me if im in the minority here or is anyone else suffering the same problems?
i cant use an optimizer because of location!

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
...that shouldn't drain it in four days. Does it recharge when you have the bike on? Or does it still die in four days regardless of riding?

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
I just replaced the battery on my 06 R1. The guy at the shop told me it only lasts a year and a half.
Battery in my 04 is stock. :sing:

·
I lead...you follow...
1,845 Posts
my 2005 R1 seems to be draining the battery, without the alarm on i might add. i have got a tracker fitted mind you(LONDON!!). i get four days maximum out of my battery before i have to resort to the embarrasing task of jump starting. can someone tell me if im in the minority here or is anyone else suffering the same problems?
i cant use an optimizer because of location!

Sounds like you might have a bad cell in you battery. What are the volts reading? Do you have a battery charger/tender on it? Can you get a full charge if you do have one?

Battery in my 04 is stock. :sing:
+1 .. the battery in my '02 was the stock one still working perfectly up until I sold the bike in June of this year.:flex:

·
I hate criminals
1,749 Posts
I just replaced the battery on my 06 R1. The guy at the shop told me it only lasts a year and a half.
03 battery still stock. I think I may replace it this year just as a precauction though. But four days, something is sucking juice. I remember one guy on his 05 had an ignition switch that was draining the battery, not sure how that happens but that is what it was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the reply guys. im new to the forum, so be nice! i ve asked quite a few mechanics about my problem, and they all say because of the size of the battery compared to the size of the engine its just how it is. im not sure , i had a 2004 R6 left it for 3 months, it fired up first time no problem. i have charged the battery, it fully charges holds its charge for 4 days, any longer it just wont start. the battery is only 5 months old!

·
Super Moderator
11,885 Posts
Find a Siemens Tech driving around, ask him to get out his battery tester. It will look like this one. It will tell you the battery temp, actual voltage and amp hour capacity left. There is also a graph on the side that tells you if you should replace it.

I just looked and this device is made in the UK so maybe they can let you try one out.

Tel: +44 (0)1744 886660

ACT Meters Ltd
The Old Smithy
Church Road
Rainford
St. Helens
Merseyside
WA11 8HD, UK

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have/had same problem...bought a new battery..same thing..checked out charging circuit (again) .. charging at 14.4v so alternator and reg/rectifier all ok ...
then I noticed something strange last week ..when I switched the ignition to OFF the dash/ign lights kind of flickered and stayed on...I think the battery has been discharging slowly through the ignition switch...sprayed some WD40 in the key chamber..dont know if this has solved it yet but I'm pretty sure the ignition switch is the problem.

Hope this helps you

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have/had same problem...bought a new battery..same thing..checked out charging circuit (again) .. charging at 14.4v so alternator and reg/rectifier all ok ...
then I noticed something strange last week ..when I switched the ignition to OFF the dash/ign lights kind of flickered and stayed on...I think the battery has been discharging slowly through the ignition switch...sprayed some WD40 in the key chamber..dont know if this has solved it yet but I'm pretty sure the ignition switch is the problem.

Hope this helps you out

·
Registered
143 Posts

Hope this helps you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.